KLX Crazy in Vancouver, BC

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX Crazy in Vancouver, BC

I have been following this forum for quite some time. For some reason I didn't sign up, but it was just a matter of time before I gave in. Lots of guys exchanging lots of great tech tips. Up here in Canada this bike has just hit the showrooms. I've had my bike for a couple of months and I have seen only three others with the KLX in a city of three million. All of my local dealers have absolutely no info on the KLX250S.

If it wasn't for this forum I would have nothing to look forward to for mods with this bike. All the dealers say parts particularily performance parts will not be avaliable for a year in Canada. Ha, who can wait that long. I always been a Yamaha guy, but Yamaha blew it in the dual-sport market. The Suzulki DRZ400 is a little big for me, so the Kawasaki KLX250S was a no brainer. I've been following all the motor and cosmetic mods you guys have been up to and there is some great stuff out there.

To date I have:

1.Drill the exhaust 9/16"
2.Drill the cank case vent hole to 3/8"
3. Remove air recycling system
4. Removed the snorkel.
I know removing the snorkel was not recommended without making the mix richer, but I have had no noticible surging or ususal lean running symptoms.

I won't be using the 13 tooth sprocket because of chain wear, noise, and vibration. I would love to increase the size of the rear sprocket, but buying a new chain so early in the game (650km on motor) is not happening (maybe later). First gear is to high for tight trails and sixth is wellllllllll pathetic!

I would love to put on a exhaust system (Muzzy, Big Gun), but the money.

Modifications I am considering:

1. Needle Jet(N1TC)
2. Collar
3. Clamp
4. Main jet #122 & 125
5. KDX snorkel
6. #40 jet pilot
7. 2-2.5 turn out on pilot screw (after drilled)
8. 7/64th slide vent

I had an argument with the service guy today at Kawasaki who said my bike is too rich and that's why I can't get over 8500rpm. If my bike is to rich then I am the first guy with this problem. I know this bike is restricted. There is alot of power to be brought out of this motor at all rpm's. He said the card mods where a bad idea and let them adjust it. Adjust it how?

I live at sea level, but I ride up to 6000ft when up in the hills. I know this bike has serious potential and you guys are proving it. Is this Kawasaki tech crazy?

One other question. Drilling the slide vent to 7/64th. Is that necessary? Also, how does this slide vent work?

Looking forward to sharing tech tips, pictures, and stories about the KLX.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Default RE: KLX Crazy in Vancouver, BC

Just finished doing the basic mods: smog stuff, sprocket, snorkle, dynojet, crank case vent, stock exhaust baffle. I used the 13 tooth BMWHD (Todd) suggests and I do not notice more vibration or chain noise - just me maybe. My bike was almost a little lean when I started. As far as the carb mods, a dynojet kit will come with instructions that walk you through the jetting and drilling - it even comes with the drill bit you need. Your guy wants your money and that is why he thinks its a bad idea for you to do the work.

If you want the performance most of us crave, just duplicate the proven modifications Todd has laid out and many have tested. I am amazed at the difference in my bike before and after the mods and I can't wait to put on my new exhaust.

Hope this helps you.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Greenmachine,

If you want to get an idea of your current mixture, pull your spark plug and see how it looks. Without the snorkel I bet it's on the lean side. Here is a good example of what your plug should and should not look like:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark2.asp

Old 06-11-2006, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

Navyman, I agree with you totally. I'm going to go forward with the carb mods. I think I will even get a 13 tooth sprocket and try it out. If I don't like the 13 tooth sprocket I'll switch back to the stock sprocket. What's the wort that can happen. An extra part for the future.

Hey what is the 13 tooth sprocket guys are getting? (manufacturer or supplier & part number)

Sully Dirt,

I checked the spark plug like you suggested and found that is slighlty hot or lean, but ok. I haven't ridden in real hot weather yet, but sometimes I feel good heat off the motor. Maybe more than with a slightly richer mix. I will be getting the carb mod parts soon, so I'll see how things change.

Check out this website. It has all spark plug variations from oil fouled to too hot and pre-ignition. (great pics)

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

WIDE OPEN!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Take some time and read the sticky's at the top of the forum. The commonly asked for part numbers thread could be helpful.