KLX Control Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX Control Mods

Over the course of the next few weeks I will review some of the modifications I have made to my '18 KLX 250s to improve performance and reduce weight. I will do this in stages.
- Pro Taper SE ATV Hi handlebars with Pro Grip grips.
-Ebay $17 CRF 250l front brake line, perfect length for higher bars.
-Magura Hymec hydraulic clutch, eases clutch pull and works with higher bars.
-Ram mount on bars for Garmin GPS.
-Acerbis X Factory hand guards.
-Shaved seat, poor mans Seat Concept but quite comfortable.
-IMS Super Stock foot pegs.
-Adjust rear brake pedal as low as possible so you can keep your foot on foot peg when braking.

Freakdaddy in SoCal

Old 07-23-2022, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting, you are I think the first person I've read where you did the higher ATV bar over a set of risers. Makes total sense to me, I'd do the same if I went higher. Good on ya!

About how much higher than the stock bar was it.?

Old 07-23-2022, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Risers

Never was a fan of the risers. The ATV bars are @ 2" higher and more comfortable when standing. With the surge pf popularity of adventure bikes there are more handle bar options. The CRF 250l brake line is perfect length for taller bars. I used a longer Moose clutch cable for a while and then switched to the hydraulic clutch which has a proper length.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

It just amazes me on how much time/love/money goes into a ride to make it fit your needs.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Remember, for many it is a hobby, something for entertainment as well as riding. For them it is fun to do things with their bike, car, house, whatever. For me I have an idea of what I'd like and work on doing so. I could just as easily leave the bike alone, like we do with the Honda HR-V, but that wouldn't be fun. I am leaving the engine alone because I am happy with it and don't want to screw up some electronic stuff. I have added an exhaust just to get a better sound, not louder, but better tone. The only other thing I'd like to do is go one tooth up on the countershaft (Yamaha XSR700) because it can do so and would put it right in my cruise zone.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Tuned in . Sounds like you have a good plan.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by freakdaddy
Never was a fan of the risers. The ATV bars are @ 2" higher and more comfortable when standing. With the surge pf popularity of adventure bikes there are more handle bar options. The CRF 250l brake line is perfect length for taller bars. I used a longer Moose clutch cable for a while and then switched to the hydraulic clutch which has a proper length.
Hey could post a side shot, like the one I attached. The setup I have a fairly comfortable for trail riding, but I am always open to trying something if it is better. I currently have renthal bars with much less sweep than stock and zeta offset risers. I would like to get an idea of where your ATV bars sit compared to what I have. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:25 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

@klx678 hahaha, don't get me wrong. everyone of my rides has cost so that I am comfortable and safely at speed. I just made that comment knowing all too well how much I have spent. Buy the brand new ride, have another $5k set aside for mods if you are lucky.

Did not mean to jack your thread freakdaddy, it was more of a congrats on the nice ride actually.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Nigels handle bar pic

Here you go. I see you have a 300 Nigel, what's that screw-bolt on the side of head's function? Its below valve cover gasket half moons. Anybody??

Old 07-24-2022, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by freakdaddy
Here you go. I see you have a 300 Nigel, what's that screw-bolt on the side of head's function? Its below valve cover gasket half moons. Anybody??

Thanks, honestly I don't know about the bolt.

Quick Reply: KLX Control Mods