KLX Cold Blooded

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by glava2876
Deej,
I finally was able to get # 2 stock bike running and drove it around, about 19 F and then ran it for about 20 minutes and let it run out of gas. I did that with my modified bike the other day.
I will probably wait a couple of weeks and then try starting them using the rock it, gas on, choke on, turn key method.
Even if this works, which I belive that it will, I don't understand the underlying problem. Why will everyother thing with a motor in my garage start up fine under the same conditions, same gas, same stabilizer, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke, but only the KLX has this problem.
Is it this type carb? The bikes are definitely getting gas when they won't start, both have brand new plugs, one is modified and one is stock.
Do street bikes have the same problem -is it ever a problem for a KLX with a pumper carb?
Again, it is great that there is a weird solution to getting these motors running, but this has to be a design flaw?
I stopped asking why a couple of years ago. And if you run out the gas, then rocking it will do nothing to help the bike start. And in fact I really don't think rocking the bike does anything at anytime. But laying the bike down on its side for 5 seconds and then picking it up will purge old gas and let in fresh which does the same thing as running it out before you shut it off. Its having fresh gas get in that does the trick. Again I gave up trying to figure out why, not that I don't care, but sometimes you just have to move forward and just enjoy that you figured out what works for you. And whatever method works to get your bike started, then that's awesome!

Oh and my wife's bike (2006 XT 225) Will not start period if you don't run the gas out. And yet a friend of mine across the street has a 2004 TW 200, which is almost the same exact motor, can let his bike sit for a month, and not running the gas out or anything it starts right up. I don't get it, but then again I don't know if the carbs are the same or not. I have mowers at work, that sit all winter, and start right up every year, and have for the past 13 years. There is no rhyme or reason to this, I guess its one of life's mysteries. I even asked the dealership and several bike mechanics, and they all came up with different answers.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default cold start

after all i've read this works best for me.... pull the choke out after you hit the start button for a few seconds,,,starts every time!...thanks guys..

Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well i've got a hair dryer in my shed couple minutes on each side of the motor she fires right up.when it is under +5c or 40f also what helps me is when i pull the choke out i never pull it all the way out just out enough till it is going to lock on.My buddy has a crf 230 same coldblooded stuff just got to figure out the right thing for your KLX

Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Im out of this one,my bikes are sittin in my old mans heated shop when winter comes,but when it is home and the temp drops the deej method works awesome.I learned that trick when I had my ttr225 and searched the yami forums

Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, time to revive this thread. I'm pissed! I usually keep my bike inside at work (just in the winter) but last night I thought I would ride it home and ride it back to work in the morning. I knew it was going to be cold but, hey, I've got a coat. I've read this thread and i know all the "tricks" to cold starting. I ran the carb out of gas last night before shutting it down and left the battery on its' tender.

This morning I went out, unplugged the battery tender, pulled the choke, turned on the gas, waited 10 seconds, and tried to fire it up. Nothing. I tried locking the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth while hitting the e-start. Nothing. At this point, I wasn't too worried, I had a backup plan which consisted of bringing out a hair dryer and letting it run on the carb for about 15 minutes. Once I got the carb nice and warm I tried to start it again. Nothing. Not even a glimmer of a start. Tried the rocking thing again. Still nothing. Pulled the spark plug and sprayed some starting fluid in the cylinder. STILL NOTHING!! At this point I'm wondering how I'm going to get to work. I kept at the e-start and finally, it kicked a little. The battery was dying at this point... I tried it again, battery on it's last leg, and finally it kicked over.

I made it to work. BUT, what the hell? Yes it's 22 degrees outside but come on!!!! This is a modern bike. How come my snow blower starts on the fist pull?

So, I was talking to our plant maintenance guy this morning (he's a mechanical genius). He asked me if I thought it was spark. I hadn't considered that. I just figured it's the carb. But since I sprayed starter fluid directly into the cylinder and it didn't even partially kick over, I had to reconsider. Remember, a lot of people have said that even after a jet kit, they still have the hard starting problem. This could be evidence that it's not the carb. He said his father had an old vehicle that he used to have to take the coil out of the car on cold days, bring it into the house, warm it up, re-install, and the car would fire right up. Do any of you think that the coil could be the culprit? If so, is there a fix?

I want to be able to ride this thing any time I want and I dont' want to get stranded somewhere looking like an idiot trying to start my brand new bike. Oh yeah, my neighbor came over while I was trying to start it this morning and he's like, "new bike, huh?"

"Yeah, it's got 85 miles on it."

Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

UPDATE: It's lunchtime and about 35 degrees F outside. I went outside, turned the key on, pulled the choke, pushed the e-start, and it fired right up. I didn't run the gas out of the carb this morning when I shut it down.

It is sitting in the sun, but it's still 35'F outside. I'm baffled.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble, and it is obvious you are well educated on all of the starting techniques of this bike.

Well the only thing I can think of is that the choke snapped back in on ya while it was turning over, or you said that you ran the bike out of gas in the carburetor. Is is possible that you are below the "on" and need to switch to reserve? My wife's bike sat for like 2 months, and its been pretty cold here and the other day I pulled the choke, waited, and hit the starter and it fired up instantly. Let us know how it goes.

Oh and tell the neighbor to shut it.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh good to hear, but keep the choke in mind, there have been several occasions where mine has snapped back in as I was cranking on it, and so now I always hold it as I'm trying to start the bike.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and as far as the jet kit goes, it makes starting easier, not harder. The bike also warms up faster.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default cold starting

did you try hitting the start button for a few seconds,"then" pull the choke out,as you keep your finger on the button,works evertime for me,i live in ustate ny and have been starting mine up at least once a month,bike has allways started right up....try it without doing the other tricks,while your stradling the bike....seems to start better in an upright position....

Quick Reply: KLX Cold Blooded