KLX Cold Blooded

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Question I understand the process now... but why?

Originally Posted by deej
I'm partial to this one, not sure why.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...=Hard+Starting
Deej,
I finally was able to get # 2 stock bike running and drove it around, about 19 F and then ran it for about 20 minutes and let it run out of gas. I did that with my modified bike the other day.
I will probably wait a couple of weeks and then try starting them using the rock it, gas on, choke on, turn key method.
Even if this works, which I belive that it will, I don't understand the underlying problem. Why will everyother thing with a motor in my garage start up fine under the same conditions, same gas, same stabilizer, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke, but only the KLX has this problem.
Is it this type carb? The bikes are definitely getting gas when they won't start, both have brand new plugs, one is modified and one is stock.
Do street bikes have the same problem -is it ever a problem for a KLX with a pumper carb?
Again, it is great that there is a weird solution to getting these motors running, but this has to be a design flaw?

Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I suspect just a small tweek on the fuelscrew (richer) will clear up the issue on. Stock jetting sucks.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

My jetting is no longer stock but it still does it...................
I was thinking some kind of Vapor lock after sitting for 5 or more days.
I never remember to shut the fuel off- I just lay it down and pick it back up.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Rock your bike back and forth with the front brake applied and choke pulled out...

Works everytime...Starts within 10 seconds....Everyone that has tried it says it works great....

ROCCO

Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Red face

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
I suspect just a small tweek on the fuelscrew (richer) will clear up the issue on. Stock jetting sucks.
WestOZ, I'd agree -except I have two bikes; one pure stock and one modified with a jet kit etc.?
Again I wonder if this is something that happens more with these carbs Vs a pumper carb? Do other brands have the same problem?
Thanks,
Glen

Old 01-30-2009, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw on here somplace it helps to change to the superunobtainium ngk plug. Or go 1 notch hotter regular plug. I like the sound of the A/F screw too, that seems to make sense. mines out 2.5 turns and starts good down to 15 deg. Below that I run the heat in my garage.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

NGK CR8EIX I have not installed one yet but I am going to get a couple to try them out, especially since I have to kick start my bike! (KLX331)

Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Pull the choke out slowly when starting, works everytime for me. I got this from someone on this forum way back. It will try and start the first time, but will start completely on the second or third try. I don't drain or run out the gas. Give it a try.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

It is in the mid-50's here and my 2009 wont start. Went to the dealers and told him - said he never had a complaint. We tried to start the 4 on his showroom - no start.

Left my bike with him to do the re-jet and fix the starting problem. He put it on him expensive computer scope - I pick up bike and it is starting. Take it home, run gas out - week later try to start - ran battery to zero - no start.

I think Kawasaki has a real problem - we need to get this to them somehow. My other bikes start immediately - so does all my gas toys and lawn equipment. We should now pay top price for equipment that fails to do the most basic thing - run!!!

Rik

Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine starts every time, always has.

Quick Reply: KLX Cold Blooded