KLX-300R dual-sported or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX-300R dual-sported or something else?

My 2007 KLX-250S was a real enduro chassis and suspension with turn signals. The next generation was really softened up a lot to fit more of an urban styled dual-sport for college campuses and soft trails with reduced suspension travel and lower seat heights.

I'm not looking for a 38" seat height WR-250R or KTM option but, I want a more appropriate Enduro for real single track trails that has turn signals and doesn't cost >$10K!

I am debating a KLX-300R converted in Texas but, finding one for sale has not been successful and then there is the added cost and complexity of things like brake light switches and related conversion parts. There are a few options like the KTM-390ADV but, I am really looking to keep weight down and to avoid excessive plastics and smaller tires.

Any rumors of a Yamaha T3 with a 321cc twin or something similar in the pipeline? Or, something that is a real enduro but, prepped for street tags that doesn't cost >$8,000? I require something with a pretty rigid frame and really good suspension with reasonable power (not a full-on race prepped engine but, not a weak 286cc Honda single either). Husky, Beta, Gas-Gas, KTM, ...?

TIA,
Sid

Old 11-03-2022, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The dealer I purchased my klx300 DS from converts the 300r to street legal. So no sourcing parts it’s all done for you. Not cheap but it looks good. He had two sitting there when I picked up mine that both were for one customer.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you only looking to buy new? If so, nothing exists like that for less than ten grand, unfortunately.

I would consider the Honda CRF450L/CRF450RL (same bike with a name change). It's not a race engine, but it's a lot more power than a KLX300, with better suspension.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Funny that all the accessories for the 2006-08 work on the 2009-to date. Same frames. Only the suspension got shortened up. The current 300 dual sport is really darn near a plated 300R, possibly pollution stuff on it, that's about it. But if you really want more, the 450L is a great suggestion.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

The Honda 450 is a lot more expensive, has a 600 mile oil change interval, and a higher seat height which is a problem for me on the street. Plus, I know the KLX-250S really well so, that keeps me looking that direction along with saving ~$4K on the purchase.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Funny that all the accessories for the 2006-08 work on the 2009-to date. Same frames. Only the suspension got shortened up. The current 300 dual sport is really darn near a plated 300R, possibly pollution stuff on it, that's about it. But if you really want more, the 450L is a great suggestion.
The frames are similar but, not the same, especially for the SuperMoto version. The 300S and 300R are similar but, ground clearance and suspension travel are different. The weight differences are important to me as well, especially with an aftermarket exhaust system on the 300R.

Of course, at some point, the farkle expense adds up and makes a KTM or similar a viable option.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Klx300 r has a different ignition system also. You can use a PCv and control fuel and timing.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
The frames are similar but, not the same, especially for the SuperMoto version. The 300S and 300R are similar but, ground clearance and suspension travel are different. The weight differences are important to me as well, especially with an aftermarket exhaust system on the 300R.

Of course, at some point, the farkle expense adds up and makes a KTM or similar a viable option.
You better let Kawasaki know that. Seems the frame number used for both the 300 and 300SM are the same. click here

The suspension is different using shorter travel, along with the wheels, pretty much it. Even the triple clamps are listed for both 300 and 300SM, not to mention the earlier 250 models. There is a whole lot of the same parts used. Kawasaki seldom "reinvents the wheel" when it comes to the dual sports. Heck my 1995 KLX650 used the same foot pegs as my 2009 KLX250,

You might be light enough, but for me the best weight savings would be if I could knock off the weight on me.

If you are trying to seriously jack up the horsepower on the 300 you'd be better off to go to a KTM. If you want a reasonably fun decent performing dual sport the KLX can hit the spot with minor modifications. An exhaust would probably be last on the list for real performance enhancement. Over the years every time the media has done testing, exhausts are less about power than noise. I believe the stock exhaust has a cat convertor in it too (a bunch of the weight), so you need to be aware if your area has E-check before spending a bunch on an exhaust only to find out it is not going to be legal in your area and will be caught by E-check.

The intake flow is first, then the proper jetting or EFI adjustments in combination, will make the most added power. Seems Kawasaki pulled the same maneuver on the 300 as they did on the 250 - a snorkel so small it is half the size of the carb mouth/intake air boot. I'm betting the EFI is choked down as well, to meet emissions. That was my approach on my 250, intake first. Not sure how the Dyno Jet Power Commander will work with E-check.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Unsolicited info...over the years, I enjoy the sound of an aftermarket exhaust, but the work is mostly done for weight savings. Many stock mufflers are really, really (unnecessarily)heavy.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

@bmart No problem, but I will say you can't really say the OEM exhaust isn't unnecessary. If they didn't have that exhaust system the bike wouldn't pass the sound and emissions regulations, so it is pretty much necessary to start. I will say the R exhaust is lighter and less restrictive than the S (dual sport) model. It didn't have to meet road regulations, it had to meet off road regulations like spark arrestor and anything else. My brother stuck a full 300R exhaust on his 250S, lighter, a shade louder, and a shade less restrictive.

Quick Reply: KLX-300R dual-sported or something else?