KlX 300 taillight blues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
ktn
Default KlX 300 taillight blues

So while cleaning up the rear I decided to go with the klx300 fender and taillight. It's essentially the same except the light is a much lower profile. Exact same bolt pattern and fits in the same recess...however, it's only got a 2 plug harness while the klx250 has a 3 plug harness. When I connect the red and black leads together the light stays on without going brighter when I apply the brake...no change, just on steady. If I change up the leads, it doesn't go on at all. Any ideas from you guys with electrical knowledge?

Old 03-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KlX 300 taillight blues

our light has a running light, which is what the klx300 probably has. the other wire is the ground, ours has the extra brake light wire.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
ktn

Is the running light you are referring to the light over the license plate? If so, it has it's own separate harness, a 2 plug. But thanks anyway. I need an Orange County Chopper consult!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

2 'plug' harness? 3 'plug' harness? Do you mean 2 wire and 3 wire?
Look at the old KLX250 tail light assembly and see if you canremove the three contact socket and install it into the KLX300 tail light assembly. If successful,wire it up and put the KLX 250 bulb in there.

Your brake lite uses a separate filament. That's why you need three wires.Doing it any other wayis nothing more than a jury rig and compromise in brightness.

ORIGINAL: ktn

So while cleaning up the rear I decided to go with the klx300 fender and taillight. It's essentially the same except the light is a much lower profile. Exact same bolt pattern and fits in the same recess...however, it's only got a 2 plug harness while the klx250 has a 3 plug harness. When I connect the red and black leads together the light stays on without going brighter when I apply the brake...no change, just on steady. If I change up the leads, it doesn't go on at all. Any ideas from you guys with electrical knowledge?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 PM

The KLX300 does not have a dual filament light bulb or fixture. It only has the taillight (running light). It also may not have a light for the license plate, whch is also required by law in most states.

You might be SOL, unless (as mentioned above)you can replace the bulb fixture and swap out the bulb with the bulb from the KLX250S tail section. Youi also could get some auxilary LED lights and wire them up as brake lights. You can use the same Common (negative wire) as the runing lights, and use the third wire to power them.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

The KLX300 does not have a dual filament light bulb or fixture. It only has the taillight (running light). It also may not have a light for the license plate, whch is also required by law in most states.

You might be SOL, unless (as mentioned above)you can replace the bulb fixture and swap out the bulb with the bulb from the KLX250S tail section. Youi also could get some auxilary LED lights and wire them up as brake lights. You can use the same Common (negative wire) as the runing lights, and use the third wire to power them.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-16-2007, 04:12 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

You could ask tintman and see what he did.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_110095/tm.htm

Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

If Im not mistaken his light is stock for the AUS bikes so it had a brake light already (which is not the same light as either the US 250S or 300R).

Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 AM
ktn

Tremor...you were right dude...had to sacrifice the reflector on the 250 fixture because the 3 wire socket was permanently fixed in the plastic. Fortunately, the 300 set up held the socket in place with a rubber sleeve and U-shaped hanger. The socket sizes are the same dimension. It works fine now.

Thanks to all you guys who got it right! It really is a great forum.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome! Now you owe us some pic's!

A more pricey solution might have been the Dual Star L.E.D. tailight bulb, but I'm not sure if it fits under the 300 lens.

Glad to hearit worked out for you.

Quick Reply: KlX 300 taillight blues