KLX 300 ECM connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 02:26 PM

Great, I'll try that green one on the diagonistic plug.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by jimbu
Great, I'll try that green one on the diagonistic plug.
I tried it but it doesn't work. Healtech, maker of gear indiator says the wire connects to either "tacho signal" wire, crankshaft sensor (or pickup coil or ignition pulse generator) or ignition coil signal wire. ?

Old 04-15-2022, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

https://www.kawasaki-onlinetechinfo....1&lang_code=EN

My 2 cents:
This is a link to a KLX300 online manual.
You will have to do some looking, but.... the orange wire from the ECM "may be" the tach signal. Best candidate is my guess.
This bike uses a CDI ignition, the ECU provides a high voltage pulse to the coil to fire the plug, that would not be suitable for an RPM pickup. All circuitry is internal to the ECU
You could try to locate the crank sensor pickup, but that may be a weak signal and I don't know if tapping it would have an adverse impact on the signal strength to the ECU. May be worth a try.
The diagnostic connector has three pins, 12v, ground, and a data bus, non are going to give a direct analog rpm signal.
Healtech looks like a good company, I have never tried any of their stuff.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nigel
https://www.kawasaki-onlinetechinfo....1&lang_code=EN

My 2 cents:
This is a link to a KLX300 online manual.
You will have to do some looking, but.... the orange wire from the ECM "may be" the tach signal. Best candidate is my guess.
This bike uses a CDI ignition, the ECU provides a high voltage pulse to the coil to fire the plug, that would not be suitable for an RPM pickup. All circuitry is internal to the ECU
You could try to locate the crank sensor pickup, but that may be a weak signal and I don't know if tapping it would have an adverse impact on the signal strength to the ECU. May be worth a try.
The diagnostic connector has three pins, 12v, ground, and a data bus, non are going to give a direct analog rpm signal.
Healtech looks like a good company, I have never tried any of their stuff.
I have used their indicator on a BMW with no problems. They were not however able to tell me the wire code and location of the tie in for the black/blue wire. I tried about half a dozen wires, no luck. I didn't try any on the ECU though because too many and no color code. Maybe I'll try the orange and see.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:52 AM

Thanks for the information. I have a Healtech gear indicator on my BMW, and Healtech was able to give me the colorcode of the wire to use on the ECU plug. Works great. However, they didn't know about the KLX 300. First they gave me wrong part number for harness. Another customer gave them the correct harness number of theres and location (behind headlight), but didn't give them the wire, code or location for the finial connection. I have tried numerous wires but know luck. I guess I'll try the orange one and maybe I'll get lucky. There is a "youtube" video of a guy who did hook up the Healtech on his KLX 300, but he doesn't tell which wire. I have checked with some Kaw dealers and no luck there, they won't say. I'm not about to give up yet, but its a bit of a bear, lol. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-16-2022, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried it but it doesn't work. Healtech, maker of gear indiator says the wire connects to either "tacho signal" wire, crankshaft sensor (or pickup coil or ignition pulse generator) or ignition coil signal wire. ?
Sorry to hear that. They used that diagnostic plug to get the tachometer readings for their computer when they dyno tested my bike.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:41 PM

Finally, incase anyone wants to know, the Healtech gear indicator "black/green" wire goes to the #3 pin on the ECU connector, "crankcase sensor +", the wire is green/yellow.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:50 AM

Finally, incase anyone wants to know, the Healtech gear indicator "black/green" wire goes to the #3 pin on the ECU connector, "crankcase sensor +", the wire is green/yellow.

Any pictures of this? Struggling through the healtech install as well.