klx 250s / size rider

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: klx 250s / size rider

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot
The answer to the question. Beginner rider, 260 lbs, yes the bike will be great! After you gain considerable experience, it will depend on the type of riding you do whether or not you need more bike. Anybody disagree?
Not me just about sums it up, but that's why I suggested he consider a used beater first, it kinda sucks to pick up a brand new bike after a low side, high side or endo........all of which I have done to my poor girl. and more lol. She still runs like a champ thou.

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot
Now that being said, FingerMullet in his sand could probably enjoy a larger displacement, but wouldn't want the extra weight.
Exactly, but less weight would be better. This tagged two-smoke 06 ktm 300 xc at 210lbs has been on sale for like a month now just north of me.......I hate temptation.....I must resist.

Name:  Right20side20ktmt20ad.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  69.2 KB

Original:EMS_0525
I knowi can keep up with you in the sand FM....
Perhaps ..... just keep in mind young man that was a guided tour in Tally, I usually go a lot faster thru the trees. btw what they called sugar sand would be considered hard pack down here. lol

Ocala National Forest is open all winter (never gets below 40), are you going to come down again to test or show off your skills. hint.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Perhaps ..... just keep in mind young man that was a guided tour in Tally, I usually go a lot faster thru the trees. btw what they called sugar sand would be considered hard pack down here. lol

Ocala National Forest is open all winter (never gets below 40), are you going to come down again to test or show off your skills. hint.
Hey, are you guys doing another ride this year down there? I couldn't make it last year. It's a long drive for me, but I'd definitely be up for that. I'm pretty sure sure I could not keep up with the guys you ride with, and yes I know it's not the bike. But I had a blast in NJ even though day 1 was mostly chaotic trying to learn how to ride sand and whoops. By day 2 I got the sand down pretty good, but whoops are still a pretty tough obstacle for me - I'll go around those if given half a chance. No whoops or sand where I ride so I never get to practice either one.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

LOL you under 200 lb riders are hilarious. I may sound like a broken record here but listen carefully. I weigh 260 and am 6-1 and I bet I can keep up with anyone on here, in any riding conditions, (except you slab guys on the ninjas) not only that but I have plenty of power to spare at any given moment. I can do 70 down the road, and fly up any hill or trail even from a low slow starting point. Now I realize that "power" is relative to what ever you have been accustomed to in the past. If you grew up on a two smoke then the KLX will be "underpowered" in comparison, and if the KLX is the first bike you have owned in 20 years like a lot of us on here then you will not be disappointed in the least. Do the mods, jetting, pipe and gear changes and I guarantee you'll never look back with disappointment.
It's great to know that My KLX can handle another 100 Lbs. It sure as heck is everything I want & need. I have to believe though, That a 100 LB weight difference with equally skilled riders would result in victroy for the little fellow 9 times out of 10. It's just a matter of pure physics.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm 275 at 6'3 (dammit i think i'm the biggest here) and it does pretty much whatever I want it to do. I was also a beginner when I bought mine and it was fine for me. I uncorked it and it was even better and will do me well enough for a while yet as I get better. I plan on getting the big bore, which is still much cheaper than getting a bigger bike. If you are over 240 you will NOT be disappointed.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
Hey, are you guys doing another ride this year down there?
Brian what are you thinking......a klx Ocala fest perhaps? I think it's a great idea......no klr's to slow us down Should we start a new thread and see who's interested.....because I'm in.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Sounds good to me. It'll take some advance planning on my part because I've been assigned to a ball and chain project at work with a pretty aggressive deadline and getting time off might be tricky. But given enough advance notice, I think I can swing a couple of days.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

LOL you under 200 lb riders are hilarious. I may sound like a broken record here but listen carefully. I weigh 260 and am 6-1 and I bet I can keep up with anyone on here, in any riding conditions, (except you slab guys on the ninjas) not only that but I have plenty of power to spare at any given moment. I can do 70 down the road, and fly up any hill or trail even from a low slow starting point.
<snip>.
You're serious aren't you? I remember in another post you said that you've never dropped the bike, on a trail or otherwise. The weight you are with the stock suspension would really limit what you can do with the bike and what trails you can ride, in my opinion. I guess what I'm trying to say is this... You must be doing what I would consider really easy trails, or more difficult trails at a lot slower speed.

Ans like others have said, it's a TRAIL bike, not an enduro or MX bike. But, that being said, it's a hell of a trail bike after the freemods and setting up the suspension for your weight, imo. I weigh 185 and have Race-Tech .44 KLX300 springs in front and run a lot of preload on the stock rear spring to get the sag and preload set right, fwiw.

A few gratuitous KLX' shots... (to show the varied terrain where we ride)

Name:  vert_climb.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  sand4.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  uphill_1.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  wes_muen-1.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  trail_muen-1.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  169.8 KB

Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok Brian, I understand, my schedule is tight too........pick a month......I'm thinkin a 3 day weekend?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm not claiming to be able to keep up, but let me know if any florida riding goes down. i'm pretty far south (just a hair north of ft. lauderdale) and don't have any decent riding areas anywhere close. with some planning, i'd love to come get schooled by you guys.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

How about January - maybe 2nd or 3rd week'ish? I'd have no idea where to go or where to stay. Did you guys stay at a campground before? Fri-Sun riding would work best for me. Drive down on Thursday, back on Monday, ride the days in between. Or something like that. It'd have to be the northern part of FL to be practical. I think when you guys went last year, Google was still saying it would have been a 9 or 10 hour drive for me. I wouldn't want to exceed that.

EDIT: I just popped over at KLR World and they're back for Tour de Apalachicola III, Jan 18 - 21. I wonder if we should crash that? We could always ride our own rides. I wouldn't mind meeting Marty finally, if he'd be there which he probably would.

Quick Reply: klx 250s / size rider