KLX-250S kickstarter kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX-250S kickstarter kit?

99999-0073 is the part number I keep seeing for the parts kit I need to put a kickstarter on my motorcycle. The dealership has no record for this part number. Is it an Asian only part number or, is it an aftermarket kit only produced by BikeBandit?

My little KLX-250S has a battery that is apparently getting too cold in Arizona to make enough juice to turn the little 'fella over. It looks like I need togive it a good swift kick to keep from driving when I want to ride. My charging system and battery tested okay when warm and the dealershiptold me to put a battery tender on it ... (if only it was that easy off-road or in the middle of a big parking lot).

They did say the labor to install it would be about $250 which sounded like a bargain to me after looking at FingerMullet's install picks (which I showed the mechanic as part of the labor quote).

Best Regards,
Sid

Old 02-17-2008, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX-250S kickstarter kit?

99999-0073 is the correct part as per Kawasaki North America web site.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post
They did say the labor to install it would be about $250 which sounded like a bargain to me after looking at FingerMullet's install picks (which I showed the mechanic as part of the labor quote).
I sure the mechanic was like....um ok thanks.

That post was ment for us amatures .... lol.......I better not end up on some kawi mechanics forum, as the butt of a joke regarding DIY'ers....look at all the extra unnecessary stuff this guy did.

Do it yourself.....and you'll only be $50 short of a big bore.

But four hours labor seems reasonable, if ya want to pay for it.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey FM we wouldn't do that to you.........OR WOULD WE?[sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=guilty.gif][sm=laughat.gif]

Old 02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

I sure the mechanic was like....um ok thanks.

That post was ment for us amatures .... lol.......I better not end up on some kawi mechanics forum, as the butt of a joke regarding DIY'ers....look at all the extra unnecessary stuff this guy did.

Do it yourself.....and you'll only be $50 short of a big bore.

But four hours labor seems reasonable, if ya want to pay for it.
Don't worry! The service tech actually requested I bring a copy of the post in so I did. I figured he would just look it up in a KLX-300 service manual but, the tech asked for it. I brought the hardcopy home so, I don't think it's posted in their break room or in a forum somewhere with a bunch of random comments written on it.

After reading your great write up, I recognized that is a job I should not do myself. By the time I bought the tools I don't have, I would probably have $250 in new tools. I could tell me self I will use them again but, ... well ... I already have all the tools I use regularly. Plus, I want the job done right and I'm not sure I have the skills to do that job RIGHT.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey deej.....have ya figured out how to change your own tires yet?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Hey deej.....have ya figured out how to change your own tires yet?
That's funny, actually that's about the only thing I can do with 100% success. Now how do you change the oil again?[8D][8D][8D]

Old 02-17-2008, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post
By the time I bought the tools I don't have, I would probably have $250 in new tools. I could tell me self I will use them again but, ... well ... I already have all the tools I use regularly. Plus, I want the job done right and I'm not sure I have the skills to do that job RIGHT.
Just make sure your mechanic did not go to the same kawi school that EMS's first mechanic did.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems odd that your battery is running down in AZ. I have 7500+ miles and am just shy of 2 years on the original battery. 25 degrees this morning and it fired right up to go play in the snow.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Seems odd that your battery is running down in AZ. I have 7500+ miles and am just shy of 2 years on the original battery. 25 degrees this morning and it fired right up to go play in the snow.
I was thinking the same thing.

Quick Reply: KLX-250S kickstarter kit?