KLX 250s Horsepower confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX 250s Horsepower confusion

Well, all I can say is I'm happy with my KLX. I was happy the day I bought it and even more satisfied now. I bought what I wanted and like what I have. I don't look at the latest tech. and have to own it...good thing because I'd probably be divorced. Besides I'm still enjoying the process of slowly creating/morphing the KLX intoMY own unique image and have a long way to go.

I'm not going to publish my second dyno run, because you won't believe it unless you were actually there and it will driveIowaGuy completely bonkers, launching yet another diatribe. I will stay one thing though... I think I'vefound the perfect carb and exhaust combo for this bike...period! Two completely different dynos don't lie. Nowherenear thelow-end torque of aDRZ, but it's not a 400, if you knowwhat I mean.

I don't understand people who compare a 400 with a 250 because it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.If it stacks up well agaist other bikes in the400-450cc class, that's a good showing. Otherwise, what's the point?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Dean,

I'd like to see your second Dyno run (and any others you may choose to do). I'll believe the results (or at least draw my own conclusions from the data). I visit this forum because there are so many different combinations of mods that have been done to the KLX250. I'm not trying to be you. I'm not in any kind of competition with you or anyone else to be the horsepower, torque, or wheelie king. I'm not trying to make my 250 into something it's not, but I am working on making it into the 250 that I want it to be. I enjoy reading about ideas that others have, what worked or didn't (even if it is only the opinion of the author).

I like to read about how changes work out, and I'd like to read about yours.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Roger that, Tom. I second your sentiment. We all do what we do for the enjoyment of our bikes, whether that's to make it "loft the front wheel," or to simply be a rowdy woods bike. I like both.
The little KLX is a great platform to tinker with and to ride. It wouldn't make sense to do much of what we do to a current KTM, because with that bike, we already bought the technology, R & D. I love those bikes, may own one one day, and there are still nice improvements to be made, but more to personalize than out of necessity. It isn't for everybody to take things apart and try to improve or personalize them, but some of us like to do it. We're the guys you want to be riding with when you're a long way from the truck and something goes wrong. And hey, Tremor, show us your dyno run. We've got your back!

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 05-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

+1, post that bad boy up, Dean!

Old 05-13-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

the klx has never let me down yet, Im happy with my little green billy goat.[8D]

Old 05-13-2007, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad to hear the voice of the forum picking up more, its nice to hear that so many are happy with the choice they've made.

The KLX for its price and the kind of bike it is can shine respectively in the woods, even to those of us that might demand a bit more. I myself would like more power myself but it has 'enough' power to be functional even in the 250-cc displacement with basic mods ( exhaust, jeting, etc )... some of the tight technical trails are tight enough, rocky/cluttered enough that the full power of the stock displacement is more then what can be used. Just depends on how 'deep' and 'technical' you want to go, but setup right, it can shine pretty good in the rough stuff.

Its still not a modern day MX bike, but if both ends of the bike are properly valved and resprung and tuned to the rider, especially if paired with some tentive weight reduction, handles quite competently for both the experienced or inexperienced rider..., both have alot to benefit by geting the suspension done and is the single thing I recommend the most on /any/ bike. A thorough suspension job tuned to you makes such a night and day difference, especially in the long term enjoyment of a bike.

Congrats to everyone whom is finding happiness from this little machine, I know I think its pretty cool.

Oh and... post up the dyno, I'd like to see it too!.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ReaperFox
I see your in Oregon,if your evey down my way and want to ride your more then welcome.I have lots of room for camping and riding at my place,plus all the great places around me

play safe[8D]

Old 05-13-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy all this klx vs drz stuff. It makes for very interesting reading, and is quite entertaining. Kinda like rosie vs donald trump. This is the new big gun and muzzy controversy. I wonder if the drz starts rusting and falling apart quickly like the big gun does though Be careful travis about responding to the big gun comment, you don't want to start a war on two fronts.LOL PS Don't forget to call your mom today.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cool change

Don't forget to call your mom today.
oh ****,I need to do that, thanks [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-13-2007, 06:22 PM

hey iowa, did u know that your drz has 400cc and the klx has 250ccWOW! and u are still comparing them. lol. why dont we then compare torque and horsepower from a honda z50 and a kawi zx14 while were at it. how about a civic and a corvette? again please try to use common sense when comparing 2 things. its amazes me how someone can be so surprised that150 more cccan make more torque, no s**t sherlock. i dont think u have to tell anyone that 400cc makes more power than 250cc its kind of obvious. are u gonna buy a hayabusa now and tell us all how much more power it has than our klx? please, never ever compare a klx 250 with a drz400.it is plain retarded to do so. bottom line is that u have no experience on a dr200 which would be a fairer comparison, as was previously stated earlier by someone else with common sense. take care and have fun on the suzuki forum. ok gotta go ride my torquey z50r.

Quick Reply: KLX 250s Horsepower confusion