KLX 250s Horsepower confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Default RE: KLX 250s Horsepower confusion

I actually considered the drz-sm before i bought my klx last year. My reasoning was as much cc's as possible without being more than 400 due to insurance costs. more than 400 cc would double my insurance rate. Therefore 450's are out eventhoughthey're easyto get papered and licensed.The price however was the deciding factor as my klx cost $5999 then freight pdi and documentation PLUS 15 % tax, DRZ-SM $8199 then freight pdi and documentation PLUS the governments share.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:26 AM

[/quote]
So tell me, what have you ever contributed to this site other than taking people's suggestions?
[/quote]

Huh????...If you're looking for my contributions, they are few, sorry to disappoint you, but I've only had it for a few months, I'm still "trying" to learn, which was my reason for signing on here. I'll throw out my KLX suggestions when I feel like I can contribute something worthwhile, and won't be followed with "buy a DRZ".
MY point is that I'm perfectly happy with my KLX, although I will continue to try to get what I want out of it as my wants grow (if they grow). I think you know where mine is now,performance wise, but apparently you feel like I'd be much happier with a DRZ as you have suggested. I can assure you that I wouldn't!...but if this were so...I'd move on over to the DRZ forums.
Back to my contributions. I posted the results of my Muzzy slipon/300r headpipe/rejet/no lid mods here, and got blasted by you because I said that I lofted the front wheel in third on flat pavement. I did!...but you made it sound like I was saying that I throttled a wheelie in third and rode it for 6 miles. Since then, I've not posted much that you would consider "contributions"....no skin off my ***, but I'd really rather not have to deal with such crap.
Personally, I wish you'd stuck with the KLX, and dampened the attitude. Youdo have KLX knowledge to offer this group. I have quite a bit of experience in getting the most out of a Sportster in any stage, but I don't suggest that a Sportster rider should go buy a big twin (that's anything other than a Sportster in Harley talk). Are the folks in the DRZ forums telling you to go trade for a KTM?

My appologies to the originator of this thread.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Well since this debate seems to continue and continue, I figured I would toss my .2 cents in on it.

Now adays there is pretty much two buddies I ride with offroad most of the time, one on a 2005 KLR-250, the other on a 2006 DRZ-400S. I got substantial time on both of those bikes before I chose the 2006 KLX-250S.

I've been riding since I was 8 years old ( 26 now ) and most of my time has been spent on Motocross bikes. Ranging across all the big 4 with some time spent on Husky and a few other odds and ends, I've even rode left throttle Husky's before.

I chose the KLX partially because of price, but also because I 'did' do my research and was able to test ride the bike before I bought it to get a feel for the chassis and balance of the bike, and bought it also with every intention of moding it.

For the person whom is willing to drop a bit of weight off both ends of the bikes, and have both ends of the bike resprung and revalved, the KLX-250S can be made to be a very aggresive handler for a dual sport. It /does/ take being revalved and resprung, but I've yet to lay hands on a factory bike ( including sportbikes ) that does'nt need that attention. To get a bike to handle properly and to its full potential it has to be fine tuned, valved and sprung to the individual rider and his gear, period. So in my eyes that I tie in with normal maintenance, and once its done, its done.
That opinion for me exists for the DRZ. It has the ability to compensate more then the KLX but for most people can't be setup truelly proper with the factory springs and valving, which btw, has the inverted forks from the RM but 'not' the same valving and springs as the RM, they are slightly different and not as strong. How do I know this?.., I've rebuilt both, and rode both, they are not the same fork, just the same shell.

Power wise, even with mods, its weak in my eyes. But so is the DRZ, its **** slow compared to an MX bike. But no one is buying these bikes to race. I needed a bullet proof engine that had 'enough' power for trail and cross country type riding in the hills, while being efficient on fuel. This engine does this fine, and aftermarket tanks are about with another soon to come to take care of capacity.

The big difference for me between the DRZ and the KLX, weight and balance. Given my riding experience is substantially higher then my two friends, but that DRZ has been the biggest pain in my tail in years, its the bike that always gets stuck, its the one thats always wrecking, its the one that won't fit through crap and has trouble with the technical trails. The bike is heavy, and its huge. Its over geared and has tons of power compared to the KLX and KLR, but it does'nt matter on serious ground and technical trails, the bike can't keep up because its simply to heavy and to large. My lap times on certain technical courses with that DRZ is noticeably lower because that 50-lbs ( roughly ) of weight difference, higher up on the chassis to boot, makes it hard to toss around. and before I hear it..., toss the bike on the scales, wet weight, that thing is a monster compared to the KLX.

So I don't write 40 pages and feel urged to actually get into some technical aspects, I'll simply leave it here... these two bikes are built for /different purposes/, if you take them and put them on the turf they belong, the bike that /belongs/ there will be the winner. I go places the DRZ cannot go, where HP is not what will get you there. As it is the KLX is barely light enough to get to some of the places I take it, but the next step is GasGas, Husky or KTM.

If you want to compare bikes, stop comparing apples and oranges. If you want to talk crap, go get a 'real' bike and not a budget bike, then you can compare a bike that is more likely to do everything better. But don't go buy a Harley, then compare it to a Ninja, and talk about how much better it cruises in the city streets, it does'nt work.

The DRZ is a better street bike, and its a more comfortable trail bike for casual riding or more open turf you can really haul in. Get into high jumps, seriously choppy turf, tight technical trails, a tuned KLX is going to win, its got a better balanced chassis, once the suspension is set its good to go, and its substantially lighter, shorter wheelbase and its center of gravity is a bit lower to the ground.

Just my .02, so decide what your intended purpose is and pick a bike to go with.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Your right, my appoligy. I suppose I should have mentioned that the stock DRZ is about 50-lbs heavier then 'my' bike, not the stock KLX. And the specs don't properly take into account wet weight with a topped off tank, part of the DRZ weight is in the extra fuel capacity. And my refferances are only to the DRZ-400S.

And the DRZ does'nt handle 'bad', no bike handles 'right' without being tuned to the rider.

As to technical specs, they don't take into account a massive number of things, only very basic information that is'nt always accurate itself ( like weight ), and I have both bikes right here side by side, I've had them on scales, and I've had the internals/chassis appart on both bikes more then once among many other things. The 400S is big, and its heavy, but both bikes can do different things the other can't.

But, I'll leave it up to others to do the research, I'll go by what I feel I've learned.

No pissing contest here, I'm just tired of watching the argueing and trolling whatever direction it may go, so my .02 ends there. I don't wish to keep it rolling anymore myself then I already have. Find the bike you want, let others do what they want.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I decided to chime in. The sniping about "going away" is just foolish. I posted because I currently own both a DRZ400s and a KLX250s. I like them both. I used a bathroom scale to weight them both. The KLX all set to ride with a half tank of gas and a few farkles, is almost 300# exactly. The DRZ with about the same gas, and about the same farkles (hand guards, skid plate, gun box on both), weighs 318#. My bathroom scale probably very accurate near #300, but the numbers are repeatable. I had the KLX on a industrialscale and got #299, so close enough.

I have ridden with friends on my machines, and we occasionally swap the KLX for the DRZ. They are very comparable machines. For full discolsure, I have a stock modified pipe (with converter intact)in the KLX, a bigger factory snorkel, and a jet kit all sorted. The DRZ is all stock.

The DRZ will out accelerate the KLX in a straight line. For fun we have staged a few 5-60 mph races and the DRZ wins by about a bike length. It has more low endtorque and is easier to drive on technical trails because you don't need to be sensitive to lowRPM lugging. Neither will power wheelie without a very serious yank on the bars. Even a healthy yank on the bars won't help after second gear. The stock KLX suspension beats the DRX suspension off road. It sucks up the bumps better and is more comfortable. The KLX suspension allows a little more control because it can keep the tires on the trial a little more.

I agree that the KLX is anemic from the factory. I am very satisfied with the power with the modified pipe and jet kit. I only spent about $200 on those mods.

Like most have mentioned here. In a perfect world the DRZ would carry its weight a little lower. The DRZ would have 6th gear, and have better suspension. In another parallel perfect world the KLX would have a little more power, and a little stiffer springs.

As a conclusion I will say this. Last year I personally rode (not including friends riding) the DRZ about 300 miles. I rode the KLX 2200 miles. I have taken two multiple day off raod trips where I took only one machine (alone, no need for two machines). I do like my DRZ, but both times I took the KLX.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm just not going to dispute every single point that Iowaguy is misinformed about. He is correct aboutmany aspects of the 250 with minor improvements. It isobvious he talks about some aspects of the KLX he has no experience in and it does not appear he has any experience with a modified KLX that has a 300/331 bore or a pumper type carb. My KLX is slightly different as it started off as a KLX300 that I have dual sported and highly modified spending way too much money on. With todays bikes a KTM or Husky 450 would be more my style and some day I will retire the KLX for the more modern bike.I still have fun on the KLX even though most of my friends have gone to more modern bikes. I would however, not like my KLX in stock form. His statement about suspension is completely wrong. I weigh in at about 185lbs. and I first just didthe springs and fresh oil which helped a lot. Aftera while I wanted more and had a complete suspension job done by Four Stroke Works, which included custom re-valving and about 1/2"-3/4" of added travel. This was a huge and dramatic improvement off road where I do most of my riding.Today's off road bike suspensionsseem like light years ahead of the KLX, which was very good in it's day, and do not need much for the average rider except correct spring weights and proper adjustments. Butby today's standards the KLX needs and greatly benefits from a complete suspension job that the average rider riding serious off road will notice and benefit from. It is still not going to be as good asmost of today's off road bikes from the factory. As I have said before,IMO his new DRZ is much better on the street butMY KLX is much better off road. I ride with a partnerthat has a DRZ 400 off road version that just feels like 50lbs. heavier even though I know it's not and it is just not as nimble or handles as well. We are similar riders and the only time he can catch me is if there is a long open straight.The tighter type of trails is where the KLX really shines. On many of the trails we ride he is faster on my KLX than on his DRZ. He woulddo better than my KLX in the more open desert riding we have in Ca. but that's not where we usually ride. In fact I may like his bike slightly better in the open desert type of riding.Idon't have a dual sport to ride on the street but rather to connect trails if I have to.My experience is the KLX is a good dual sport for both light on road and light to medium off road as it comes from the factory. On road it is not a highway cruiser but a real good get around town or two lane roads type of bike. Off road it is good for light to medium trail work. To make it really shine off road takes quite a bit of money factoring in big bore kits, suspension jobs, pumper carbs, decent handlebars that won't bend in the first crash, and a host of other smaller items that need to be done. What we have to remember is the KLX design is about 13 years old and in it's dayit was at the top of its class but today there may be, not necessarily be,better bikes depending on whattype of riding you do.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:28 AM

This is ridiculus! I can affordany bike I want and I chose the KLX because it's a great bike. If I wanted your Suzuki I would have gotten one and then I would be ona differentforum! We all love our bikes and love to read about them. We don't need you telling us all to sell our bike and get one like yours. We are happy without your masterful input and vast knowledge of bikes and HP figures. You sold your bike now go away!

If you want to debate HP try comparing your drz to my KTM 625 SMCor any of my other bikes. But please do it on some other forum like "Whogivesa****.com"

Quick Reply: KLX 250s Horsepower confusion