KLX 250S Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX 250S Advice

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and considering getting a KLX 250s.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice- is there any significant differences between '10 and '09? Would this bike be right for me?

Somewhere on this forum I saw someone say they'd rather have the Yamaha WR- but I can't find that post anymore...

Anyway- I'd mostly be for riding around the farm, and along the old rail trail between y house and where I farm, and the occasional 50 + mile commute.

Welcome your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

there isnt much difference between the 09' and 10'. if you can get a good deal on an 09' i would go for that, or if you get an amazin deal on a 10', its your choice really.
i put 70 miles on mine just today and i really enjoyed the ride.
i get a lot of compliments on my bike and it alays puts a smile on my face to see somone who appritiates a good motorcycle.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks.

Yeah- the '09 is about $700 cheaper right now... the fact I like the black better doesn't seem to justify that!

Glad to know they're relatively comparable.

70 miles on or off road?

Sounds like a nice ride!

Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

The yamaha is efi and quicker out of the box but it costs more. The KLX is weak as new, it needs a few mods to get out of it's own way but for around $300 bucks and a little time it can be made to be a nice running bike. From the way you you said you would use it, it would be fine. I got an 09 new about 3 months ago and have no regrets.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

What would be the most essential mods?

EFI- electric fuel injection? 250s doesn't have this?

yes, WR seems a bit beyond my price range, really.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll chime in as a complete n00b to bikes. I'm 39, and was looking for something cool to get my kids (son 8, daughter 11) into.

Before I got the itch, I'd probably rode twice in my entire life. I took the MSF course (can't say enough good things about the course), bought a 2010 KLX250s, and got my license (in that order ).

The KLX250s was my choice because:
1)The seat height is low enough for my 29 inch inseam. (I had the seat cut after I bought it)
2) For the money, it was about $800-$1000 less than the WR (the WR was too tall for my short self)
3) It is more than a DR-Z, but the design of the KLX is much more modern.
4) Local and convenient dealer did not sell Yamaha, which left me with Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki to choose from. In the light dual sport class (<300cc), the KLX was the obvious choice out of these 3.

It's a great little trail bike, even as short as I am. It's top speed is about 82mph (at least mine is), and it's pretty light in the wind (got the crap scared out of me today in a 35 mph crosswind). This is not to say that I don't love the bike - it's a great bike, and perfect for me. No regrets at all.

Stock is about 18HP, and the WR250 is at least 25.

I don't entirely agree that it's completely gutless stock - you just have to ride the crap out of it and keep revs up above 6K . 1st gear is short, but once it's in 2nd, it's not that bad. It's no sportbike, but it's not supposed to be.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by earthsurfing
What would be the most essential mods?

EFI- electric fuel injection? 250s doesn't have this?

yes, WR seems a bit beyond my price range, really.
current US version of the 250s is carbureted. There are rumors of the EFI flavor arriving in the US in 2011 (EFI version already exists in other markets)

Essential mods... Airbox mod, Pipe and re-jetting (somebody correct me if this is wrong )

Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Go with the KLX, you won't regret it.

These bikes are a blast and they have a personality. They are super reliable and they are cheap and easy to work on/play with.

WR's are nice bikes but they are not easy to work on and they cost a lot more.

Yeah they have a bit more HP, 25 vs. 18 but they are pretty comparible on torque 16 vs. 14 and we all know that torque is what counts on these little bikes. Throw a carb kit, open up the intake, and throw on an exhaust and you can easily get 22 hp and 16 tq out of the klx. So for just a few hundred bucks you can start to match the WR. Although if you really want to **** off your WR friends, go get a BB351 kit (which I think WR's can only go up to a 290 kit). Heck, you can outrun DR400's while your at it.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive had my 09 only a couple weeks and have already put about 225 miles on it, and I LOVE it.
I am also a beginner, so the bike was perfect for me, light, nimble, and very easy to ride.
I have had mine to an indicated 72 mph, the speedos are off, so that was more like 63 mph, but still, it was fine.
I have rode mine mainly on road, nice very twisty back roads, gravel roads.
Its just a blast. In stock form, it could use form more power, but I wouldnt go as far as to say its under powered.
But I hear you can really wake them up with a pipe, intake, and rejet.

If you arent looking for a power house, and want a fun, easy to ride light nimble bike, BUY the KLX250!!!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

A 13 tooth counter sprocket is also a must do mod on this bike and is about $25 total.

Quick Reply: KLX 250S Advice