Klx 250 throttle cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Default Klx 250 throttle cable

The throttle cable has two cables. It's really sluggish. I saw somewhere it's ok to remove the throttle cable return cable? Can't find a post that addresses this?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Klx 250 throttle cable

I would not recommend removing the return cable. It is a good safety backup.

Has it always been sluggish for you? If not, then you might just need to lube your cables. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the best way is to use a little tool called a (... wait for it ...) cable luber. You can get them just about anywhere bike parts and tools are sold. Here is a link to one at rockymountainatv. You use the tool to force lubricating fluid into the sheathe around each cable. It forces out an contaminants and lubes the cable. I did not think I really needed it when I did mine, but it made a real difference.

Also, you may have a problem with your cable binding in your throttle assembly. While you are lubing them, it wouldn't hurt to check them out.

A final tip (thanks to EMS_0525), when working to reassemble your throttle assembly, disconnect the cables at your carb. Yeah, you will have to fight them a little to re-attach them once you're done with the throttle assembly, but it's a %^#$% the throttle assembly with any tension on the cables.

Hope there is something in here that helps you out.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I wont say anything chris...... [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 PM

It's a new bike. It just doesn't "snap back" like what I'm used to. I have a DRZ400S and most folks remove the return cable. I could have sworn I saw it somewhere that folks do that with the KLX too.

I really don't know why you need it. We've been riding for years without a return cable.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

You can remove it, but that is not your issue here. The throttle can & should snap back with the return. Either your throttle is messed up & you need to dissasemble, clean, adjust, & orreinstall making sure it is done correctly OR your throttle cables are not routed right. Does it snap back with the bars in any direction? On mine it would not snap back with the bars all the way to the right but any thing else would. I little adjusting of the routing around the gauges (without taking apart, although I have taken my throttle apart 3 times now) & it snaps back. Has stayed that way too.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Mine had an issue once early on and I took the curved assembly apart just enough to see that one of the cables had popped out of the slide, got it back in and its been perfect ever since. But keep in mind that our throttles will never be as snappy as the full on off road bikes that we all see and test out in the shop, I don't know why but on the 1/4 turns I think the spring in the carb is stronger or the fact that off road bikes have a lot less cables and wiring that don't have to share space down on the frame.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine snaps back but its not real snappy about it. I did throw some grease between the throttle tube and the handlebars though to dampen out some of the vibes I was getting. The grease slowed the throttle down but it does make it to fully closed, except the infamous full lock right, then the last quarter inch or so of travel it just plain doesn't want to return on its own.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLXer
You can remove it, but that is not your issue here. The throttle can & should snap back with the return. Either your throttle is messed up & you need to dissasemble, clean, adjust, & orreinstall making sure it is done correctly OR your throttle cables are not routed right. Does it snap back with the bars in any direction? On mine it would not snap back with the bars all the way to the right but any thing else would. I little adjusting of the routing around the gauges (without taking apart, although I have taken my throttle apart 3 times now) & it snaps back. Has stayed that way too.
Should have known you'd have a solution for this, lol. How is yours routed? To the right side under the gas tank? I'm finding the gas tank pushes on the cables, making them rub on the tubes, and that's causing it to come back slow.

They are crisp when the tank is off. But when you put any pressure on the cables, they are not crisp and you can feel the friction big time when you twist the throttle.

Any tips routing them properly? Seems like if I could raise the gas tank a 1/4-1/2" on that side it wouldnt push on the cables, but then wouldnt line up with the bolt holes..

Old 02-17-2016, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have "bark busters", check to make sure that it is not rubbing on the end of the grip.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:31 AM
Default Sticky

Well the throttle on the bike is sticky, I took it apart, and I do not know how to put it together
I took the cables off the carb so that I could put the twist grip back together but it still sticks at the very end of the twist. There is a weird plastic ramp that fits in there, other than that there is nothing but the throttle cable and the return cable, and the throttle tube. How do I route the cables over this ramp piece and put it together correctly?
I could buy a new tube assembly and all that, but I am cheap and just want to get it working.

Also advice on good place to get used parts?
Kawasaki LX250H 2007 it says on the ID plate.

Quick Reply: Klx 250 throttle cable