Klx 250 bore to 300 ,efi tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tsc
Thanks for sharing and confirming this set up! Few questions
- Do you mean 299cc AHL kit (not 292)?
- Did you try this set up with and without first plate? Does it run better without first throttle plate? Could you please provide little bit more details on that?
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e2/#post557650

only without first plate.. bore is 78mm so it is 292cc - like KTM 390.. is only 374cc or so...

Old 11-23-2023, 03:50 PM

I got the bike checked by an other shop and they decided that it was best to ditch the Power Commander, since the PCIII I have could not hanle the upgrade(it was from an Xtx 660 and went only up to 7500rpm)

They also fiddled with the EFI , but I am not sure what the did.
Bike also had some leak in the air induction system (as Klxster said)

It now starts easily, it is working ok,but by no means perfect.

Generally the guy I bought the bike from and his mechanic had no idea of what the were doing.

However ,I really like this bike and have done many tours on and off road,even if it wasnt working well.

So I am plan on keeping it and maybe doing the bigger ingector mod.
Could you provide me a link to the exact injector you used?
Thank you

Old 11-24-2023, 06:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonKab
I got the bike checked by an other shop and they decided that it was best to ditch the Power Commander, since the PCIII I have could not hanle the upgrade(it was from an Xtx 660 and went only up to 7500rpm)

They also fiddled with the EFI , but I am not sure what the did.
Bike also had some leak in the air induction system (as Klxster said)

It now starts easily, it is working ok,but by no means perfect.

Generally the guy I bought the bike from and his mechanic had no idea of what the were doing.

However ,I really like this bike and have done many tours on and off road,even if it wasnt working well.

So I am plan on keeping it and maybe doing the bigger ingector mod.
Could you provide me a link to the exact injector you used?
Thank you
When I tried the OE injector which should be a 220cc my bike starts, but gets off immediately. So no chance to ride with OE injector.
I then installed the 270cc and it runs........

my KLX is a European model 2009.

Just go on eby or alxprs and fill in Suzuki 15710-21H00 and you will find tons of listings. from 17,- to 100,- euro and more expansive.
I choose one where on the images the Keihin logo was visible look here https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e2/#post557650 (~25,- with shipping)

BTW Before that one, I used a 330cc injector- way to rich- even bike runs super smooth. But fuel consumption was +5L /100km
With the 270cc its in the range of 3,7 to 4.1L dispense on riding style/condition.

I used this setup for my last ride for this year in Romania.
And on my ride to greek salad I used the 330cc as I did not had the smaller one before leaving.

I guess as soon as you bring your bike to original- only the bigger cylinder assembled and get in the Suzuki injector it will run.
I tried to find some sheet or list from Keihin regarding all their different injectors - but it was impossible for me ... Looks like Keihin keeps this as a secret.
Honestly I wanted to have 280cc injector..

Last edited by lb-rider; 11-24-2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:06 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by freakdaddy
Jason, I have a 2018 KLX 250 with EJK controller. Installed 330 cc big bore but had same fueling issues. I tried everything to to avail. I have not heard anyone getting a fuel injected KLX 250 with big bore to run properly. Your best bet is to re-install the 250 cylinder and piston. That’s what I ended up doing.

freekdaddy
Same bike, same 330 kit, plus EJK in my bike. I was having issues with it and the dyno guy said all the piggy back ECU'S were difficult to tune.

Anyway, some guys here in Vietnam had some luck by fitting a Standalone APITECH ECU to their klx 355.

I bought one, took it to my dyno guy and he has sorted the bike out for me in two tunes. Well, as I only put an hour on it today, I at least hope it is sorted.

I will give the bike a good run this week, but so far things seem good.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:18 AM
tsc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MXM
Same bike, same 330 kit, plus EJK in my bike. I was having issues with it and the dyno guy said all the piggy back ECU'S were difficult to tune.

Anyway, some guys here in Vietnam had some luck by fitting a Standalone APITECH ECU to their klx 355.

I bought one, took it to my dyno guy and he has sorted the bike out for me in two tunes. Well, as I only put an hour on it today, I at least hope it is sorted.

I will give the bike a good run this week, but so far things seem good.
That's interesting. I would say for 330cc you need more performant injector. The stock one from klx 250 needs to be open 40% longer to fuel my 300cc big bore kit. I feel it's duty cycle limit is close to this number..

Old 01-26-2024, 02:01 PM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tsc
That's interesting. I would say for 330cc you need more performant injector. The stock one from klx 250 needs to be open 40% longer to fuel my 300cc big bore kit. I feel it's duty cycle limit is close to this number..
Yes a bigger injector was provided with the kit from Keng Engines in Thailand

Old 01-27-2024, 11:58 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Bit of an update. Did 110km road and offroad today with the new Apitech ECU fitted and it didn't miss a beat. Smooth power delivery everywhere. No starting issues. No FI light coming on ever.

Not keen on the new exhaust I (Norofumi) fitted to may throw the Two Brothers pipe back on (one repacked &#128565

Old 01-27-2024, 12:55 PM
tsc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MXM
Bit of an update. Did 110km road and offroad today with the new Apitech ECU fitted and it didn't miss a beat. Smooth power delivery everywhere. No starting issues. No FI light coming on ever.

Not keen on the new exhaust I (Norofumi) fitted to may throw the Two Brothers pipe back on (one repacked &#128565
Dyno numbers superb! What's your setup?

Old 01-27-2024, 01:12 PM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tsc
Dyno numbers superb! What's your setup?
Keng Engine 330 kit with cams and bigger injector. Stock gearing. Api Tech ECU. I put the lid back on. It's some 3D printed big mouth from a guy on the Facebook klx250s group

Old 01-27-2024, 01:24 PM
tsc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MXM
Keng Engine 330 kit with cams and bigger injector. Stock gearing. Api Tech ECU. I put the lid back on. It's some 3D printed big mouth from a guy on the Facebook klx250s group

Thanks for info! I was under impression Keng kit is plug and play and EJK works fine..

Quick Reply: Klx 250 bore to 300 ,efi tuning