KLR 650

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default KLR 650

So there is a guy at work, a kid as I call him, he's 27 and has never rode a motorcycle....ever, but next month he is getting a brand new KLR 650. I am sort of worried about him. I mean I have been ridding off and on (mostly off) for about 30 years now, and I don't know what to tell him as far as what to do. I asked him if he was going to take the beginners safety course, and he said no, (pride). Anyway he wants me to do the break-in using the Mototune method like I used on my bike. Actually I am looking forward to seeing the difference between the two bikes. I guess I should take him under my wing? But I am still re-learning ridding all over again after a few years myself. In fact to tell you the truth, the 750 miles I have on my new bike have been the majority of the miles I have gotten in a long time. So I will let you guys know what happens, and if you have any words of wisdom for me in breaking in the bike and also some tips for the new guy that I hope I can keep alive for his new baby to be born next month. Usually when you have a baby you get rid of your bike, oh well.

deej

Old 04-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Default RE: KLR 650

Hey now Im 26, but I have been around bikes since I was 4. I recommend you police up that guy before before he gets hurt. Tell him to swallow his pride and take the coarse If anything he will at least learn about the casualty rate for road riding. And they have you do all those silly swerve and brake drills. If your really worried about him you can go out and set up all those drills yourself so he doesn't look like an *** during the riders coarse.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:18 AM

Oh ya! And whats all this about ditching the bike for the baby. Thats when its time to buy the peewee 50. I have two girls one 10 and one 4 the older one doesn't have any intrest but the youngest does she's got a little electric razor dirt bike as soon as shes good with that she's getting a yamaha 50, then the KX 65, and so on.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

offer to take the class with him it maybe fun.all the riding I've done has been trackdays and off road,so I plan on taking the beginners safety course.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-01-2006, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

he NEEDS to do the course

Old 04-01-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej, when the bike arrives, let me know. I will ride my KLR to your side of our state. We can do a break-in ride and you can show me some of the local FS roads. As for the safety couse...post his Email address.

Old 04-02-2006, 02:40 PM

Deej,

There is a better way to get the guy into the Basic Rider Course by MSF - which I think every rider should take - it's that informative! I have had students that have been on a motorcycle for 30 years take the course and tell me that they learned a whole lot about riding a motorcycle. Like I said, it's a great course. You learn at your pace, not someone else's. The concepts are those that have been proven to work.

Kind of an interesting point, I was watching the MotoGP races from Spain the other night and they had a camera angle on Nicky Haden that showed his throttle hand. He uses 4 fingers on the throttle and brake all the time. H'mmm that's one of the things that MSF teaches - it does give more control.

I would suggest to your friend that the BOTH of you take the Experienced Rider Course by MSF. If it's an ego thing as you said, then that should get him there.

A KLR650 is NOT a sportbike in power. Any motorcycle will hurt you given the opportunity to do so. Work on him - it will make all the difference in the world to know he is a safe rider.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys I'll let you know how things go. I do plan on taking the experienced MC course when I can, and I hope my example will make him think.

deej