Kinda nervous

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Kinda nervous

Well, i bought a 09 klx 250s. I ride alone 99% of the time. The bike is brand new with 5 miles on it. I had a hard time starting it, as it's only 30 degrees. Alittle starting fluid was needed. Anyhow the 5 miles i put on the bike were fun. I keep reading posts of needed mods and problems that plague this bike. So what do I have to do to make this bike reliable. I mainly bought this bike for camping trips in the middle of nowhere. I'm thinking radiator guards, skid plate, hand guards, and bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes. I don't ride hard enough to air down, never have in the past. So is a rim lock really needed. Money is always short up here.... LOL where itsn't it. I'm looking for a bike that won't leave me in the middle of nowhere, what do I have to do. I'd also rather no go to big in engine mods till it's outa warranty

Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Your nervousness is a good thing, especially if you ride alone. The bike isn't UN-reliable, it just needs a couple of things to make it more reliable...and, some need a tiny bit of help to make them start more easily when they are cold.

The biggest reliability/safety tool sits on top of your shoulders. Make sure you use it all the time....

Welcome!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Slap a larger pilot jet in (#38 should do it) to solve your starting problems. I would strongly advocate rim locks as I tore the valve out of my rear tube riding on paved roads with 25psi in the tyre. Seriously, for what it costs you it is well worth it.

You're definitely on the right track with radiator guards, skid plate, hand guards, and after that you should be fine. Only other recommendation is getting the correct springs for your weight. After that you really should not struggle with reliability IMO.

If you ride alone that much, seriously look into getting yourself a SPOT tracker. That way, if you need to get rescued you just press the 911 button and the rescuers get sent your exact GPS co-ordinates. You can also have it send your position to a loved one/friend/etc every 10 minutes so they can track your progress and if you stay in 1 place too long wihtout you hitting the OK button (which sends a pre-written "I'm OK" message to whoever you register) they can assume the worst and send the helicopters in to get you anyway. Well worth a look.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

The starting problem is from a too small fixed jet in the carb that benifits from being drilled out a bit but isn't really necessary as I've found a trick or two and mine starts fine. I've got the dynojet kit in it with an exhaust but it didn't have a pilot jet so mines still stock. The radiator guards are a good idea as they stick out on either side with little support when you really look at them. a 13 tooth counter sprocket helps off road and is cheap as you can still use your other sprocket and chain with only a readjustment. I don't have rim locks and I do have knobbies on it and I've had no problems yet. I wouldn't be afraid to take the bike anywhere. I ride a mix of street and trails.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

treerat, on the cold start issue, you did read one of the many posts about this bike and the starter jet, didn't you?

Not sure I agree with the term "plagued". The stuff that is "wrong" with this bike are almost totally brought on by emissions BS required for street legal status. The good news...they are easily addressed by jetting and very little work. Now, when you get down to really sharpening the performance, an aftermarket exhaust, slightly modded airbox, and jetting really pep the bike up. Stock it's got a soda straw exhaust, an unholy lean jetting, and stopped up air intake. Many/most street legal bikes of the last few years have some similar issues. Heck, even many of the $7000-$8000 racing dirt bikes need jetting help right off the showroom floor. Setup properly, the KLX is extremely reliable and durable.

On riding alone on this bike, I've had mine in places in Utah and Colorado all by lonesome where at least one or more nights out were guaranteed with a breakdown...accompanied by a long walk out. No machine is unbreakable, but the KLX is as close to some decent sophistication that has some anvil-like reliability. Don't be stupid, but don't be scared.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

What's your elevation? I put in the 38 pilot, then took it out and back to stock and it's better on my bike (but alos have the dynojet 2206 needle and 224 main, and drilled the enrichment jet to .018" for starting -- read up on that enrichment jet or other techniques for starting up). 2500 ft and up here. Welcome!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Slap a larger pilot jet in (#38 should do it) to solve your starting problems
The pilot on my '09 is pressed in and not replaceable so I assume the OP's is too.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
jxg
1st Gear Member

if you are worried about being stranded because of starting/battery, put a kick starter in it

Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

In the 3+ years and 10k+ miles I've put on my KLX, even with the last 5K or so on the 351 kit, I have never been left stranded with my bike for any reason other than myself breaking something (happened once when I put hole in crank case) or a flat tire. In the flat tire's case, rimlocks got me out of the forest.

This bike is VERY reliable.

Never even had a dead battery and never once has it been hooked to a charger or tender.

I would worry more about breaking yourself than breaking the bike.

Have fun.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Punkinhead
The pilot on my '09 is pressed in and not replaceable so I assume the OP's is too.
I'm curious about this one. Are you referring to the pilot jet or the starter jet?

Quick Reply: Kinda nervous