Kill Bill SB 435 smog checks in Kalifornia

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Kill Bill SB 435 smog checks in Kalifornia

This senate bill 435 was killed last year only to be reintroduced again this year.

It would require all motorcycles produced after 1983 to have oem stock exhaust systems in place or risk a fine. Smog checks would go into effect in 2012 for motorcycles produced after 2000.

What may only start out in California has the potential to be required in other states. So contact your government officials against this bill.

Just bought that FMF Q4, HMF, Muzzy, 2 Brothers exhaust? Wanna keep running it? If your in California better get your voice heard......

Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

You fruits in cali have ruined it for the rest of the country for years... just another thing to add to the list.... I would be happy if cali broke off of the rest of the country.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

it will pass, just a matter if time. if you think politicans are there for us, you need to think again. i have emailed some people though, but i doubt its going to help.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

That's why I have been a member of the AMA for 12 years now. Make your voice heard with them and you will see things happen.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

There is already a noise control law. Can't remember the details, but I do remember that a vehicles exhuast noise can be louder than that of a motorcycle.

It's not Cali state that ruins the joy. Its the CARB (Califorina Air Resource Board), which the big 5 states are under (CA, NY, and some other 3 states).

Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

When it showed up last time I made sure to sign petitions to get my voice heard, and nothing happened. I would like to see the same response to shut it down again.

The wife and I don't ride everyday, commute, or get to play ride on our bikes that often. Smog checks for bikes barely ridden doesn't make sense to me, just extra expense. My te450s have stock pipes but the wifes klx - now thats a problem. I'm sure others on here might have the same concerns at least I kept all the stock stuff for this reason. I'm hoping that others in Kalifornia would like to have the freedom to modify their bikes the way they see fit, and will voice their opinion before its too late ... rant over thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

This actually encourages me to join the AMA, the are part of some D/S Rides out here on the east coast (have to have membership to participate) and I was debating, but this is a good cause in my book. Oh and the law doesn't border on ridiculous, it surpasses incredulous. Stupidest thing I ever heard. On it's worst day the KLX will produce less smog than any 4 cylinder and probably any hybrid currently produced. :P

Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

If you care about these issues you MUST JOIN THE AMA!!!

This is the only organization out there trying to protect our way of life and unfortunately their membership is pathetically low (i think around 200k). The only way to make a difference is to band together in an organized fashion.

If you can afford to ride, you can afford the $35 a year and have a clear place for your voice to be heard.

D

Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dklogic
If you can afford to ride, you can afford the $35 a year and have a clear place for your voice to be heard.
or you can speak for your self, and (patheticly in this case) e-mail or send letters. you can also set up rides where you have letter writing stations. i went to an ama ride like this, but disliked the ama's literal "forcing" to write it.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes I was an ama member when I raced district for quite afew years. Got that monthly mag that covered nothing I was apart of, little mention of our district. But I wasn't into dual sports back then either.

I will become a member again as its a requirement for racing once again.

I hope the ama can help with this issue.

Last edited by RaceGass; 06-16-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Kill Bill SB 435 smog checks in Kalifornia