Kickstand switch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Kickstand switch question

Just a FYI Gerry.....my kickstand kill switch has never worked .... that's why I never bypassed it. I used to look at posts on the forum .... and be like wtf does that thing do? lol

Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 AM

Last year I removed mine. It got screwed up some how. I don't remember what happend exactly but it caused issues and the bike was acting funny. It took me a while to figure it out. Removed the switch and it was fine.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

deej, I think maybe the plunger was stuck in, in your case. This would make the bike think the stand was still down as the switch would still be open, but once the plunger came unstuck and sprung back out you were okay to go. I hate to say it, but there is probably dirt inside the switch where the plunger slides in and out causing it to malfunction. I wouldn't be surprised if Gerry's switch acted up for the same reason. It is down low on the bike and prone to a lot of road grime.
How could the plunger be stuck? Its a mechanical switch, that goes up if the stand is in the upright position. Do you mean something inside wasn't working? Mechanically it was up. I'm confused, but that's nothing new.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

The switch has a end which is made from steel that has a spring to push back out when youput stand down. Mine started to stick in the switch housing but was coming out about 3/4 of the way. I would have to reach down and pull on switch end. Tryed to lube but still would act up so just removed and then pluggedthe switch leads into each bullet connectors. No more problem just always put up stand.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I took my kick stand switch off, after riding one weekend in alot of water- I pulled it off to check it. Every time I compressed it water came out. So I followed the wires to up under the seat. Where they plug in is a male and female electric connector. I unplugged the switch and pushed the 2 ends together.

I figure that is one less- stuck in the wood- adventure.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

deej,

like those guys said. I figure the plunger (couldn't think of the correct term earlier) was sticking, that's all. It would be prone to a lot of crap just because of its location. I haven't removed mine, yet. BUT I think I may after reading these last couple posts..just something else to malfunction and cause grief at the most undesirable time. ALWAYS put your stand up..just remember that.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Just a FYI Gerry.....my kickstand kill switch has never worked .... that's why I never bypassed it. I used to look at posts on the forum .... and be like wtf does that thing do? lol
Same here! Looking back I don't think mine ever worked. I can start it, pull in the clutch, put it in gear and ride it all with the kickstand down. Maybe my dealer just bypassed it from the beginning to avoid the hassle later. I guess I should let them fix it under warranty but I hate letting people work on my stuff. I wish they'd just give me a switch.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I ditched the switch on mine too. Only once since I did it did I leave the kickstand down[:@]

Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I just took mine off tonite as well...my earlier bikes never had them, the manufacturers just keep adding junk! Cras are getting the same, too many switches and sensors and ****..hell my service engine soon lite has been on for four years!..lol

Gerry, if you want a switch that bad, I am sure there are plenty to chose from on the forum.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I just noticed this thread and started another one on the same subject a few days ago...Anyhow, my wifes bike does the same thing and a quick diagnosis shows the kickstand switch tests good and so does the clutch switch. I looked at the schematic and there is a $22.00 "interlock diode" that I will be checking next when I need to pull the seat again...I will report back.
db

Quick Reply: Kickstand switch question