Kickstand switch disable MYTH

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Kickstand switch disable MYTH

I was about to remove my kickstand switch this weekend, but as I investigated the wiring I came to the conclusion that whoever came up with this "mod" was seriously mis-directed...

The switch by the kickstand is a "normally closed" switch. That means that while you're riding - with kickstand up - the switch is "closed" i.e. short circuited. There is no amount of water in the world that is going to interfere with the operation of the kickstand switch. It's "shorted" in normal operation, so water would never "open" the switch. So I just left it in place. It's a safety feature - why not... I suppose I might save 5 ounces by removing it.

Whoever came to the conclusion that water had messed up their kickstand switch, might have been bitten by the "carb vent / t-mod" problem...
For those that don't know, if you submerge both of your carb vent lines (the pink tubes) in water while the engine is running, it will stall.
You can install t-fittings and a section of vent line under your seat to prevent this problem.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Kickstand switch disable MYTH

thats good to know... i already took mine off.... i would rather be safe than sorry.... that was before this info...

Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Good info, Jason. I have been torn between making my bike "waterproof" and keeping the safety feature. Glad to hear that I don't have to choose.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

The problem isn't water, it's the cheap a$$ switch failing on it's own. That's put a damper on many a ride in the past.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

OK, I can see that... I thought I remember the original story being a "water" one...
I guess there is merit in removing a switch that is sort of unnecessary, and could potentially cause a frustrating open circuit on the trail. I wonder if it were to get seriously packed with mud if the switch might be held open. Maybe from mud or small rocks getting between the contacts. Hmmm, maybe I will take it off then.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

All my safeties are functional on both bikes, but I have them set up with spade connectors, so they can be bypassed on the trail. What I have seen(on DRZ's) is that the kickstand spring is week enough for the stand to drop down when going over obstacles and causing the bike to stall at the most inopportune times.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you expect the switch to be NO? The safety feature would then be rendered useless my any number of failures unknowingly. Also there is no reason that the switch could not become complely soaked while the motorcycle is in motion, and then fail to close after the stand is used. We all have to stop and rest sometimes. For the record the switch is not "shorted" in normal operation either. Shorted indicates a bypassed load or an unintentional ground. Nasty water can conduct electricty and create a unintensional ground, but that is a different matter than a closed switch..

With all that said, I understand the symptoms of a failed sidestand switch and I am prepared to fix it when it fails. Currently I own three motorcycles and two have failed switches. In my lifetime I have "repaired" 3 away from home. For me, the track record states that the failure of this switch is not a myth. If you want your safety switch to work and you cannot perform a trail/roadside reapir I suggest you carry a spare switch.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's my trail riding game plan for a kick stand switch failure:

Follow the disable procedure of following the wires up to the attachments, separating them and connecting them to each other.

I have not yet heard of a failure on the KLX250, but thats not to say it can't or wouldn't happen.

I just think that the advantage of insuring that your not driving off with your kickstand down outweighs the possibility of the engine cutting out in an awkward situation... (famous last words, I'm sure I just jinxed/screwed myself...[:'(])

My two cents....

Old 04-14-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I soldered the wires together up and tie wrapped them up under the seat area (had the iron out, didn't feel like tracing it to the male/female connectors....I'll do that next time I have the seat off). Heck, my VRod and Buell don't have them...........personally don't see a need for it.

And I'm 1.78 oz. lighter...who wants to race !!!

Old 04-14-2007, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adaycj

For the record the switch is not "shorted" in normal operation either. Shorted indicates a bypassed load or an unintentional ground. Nasty water can conduct electricty and create a unintensional ground, but that is a different matter than a closed switch..
Aw c'mon! I'm an electrician by trade, but not all of us are. I'm sure you understood what he meant.

Quick Reply: Kickstand switch disable MYTH