Kickstand sensor heads up

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had my kickstand switch stick once after going through some pretty nasty weather. Haven't had any trouble since then. I have no problem with bypassing it though. I guess you have to consider what is the lesser evil or maybe the greater danger... an embarrassing, low speed buck-off or having your engine quit on the 520 floating bridge during rush hour.

Buh, bye sidestand switch I'm thinking that mod will happen the next time my seat is off.

Last edited by tremor38; 07-03-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I hear ya, I've heard those stories too. BTW, I deactivated the switch on my KLX early on and just took my chances like everyone else. But when I got my KTM I checked and they did not have any such sensor. Instead, they have a little rubber strap to loop over the kickstand so it cannot come down while riding.

I think their theory is, if you ride off with the kickstand down, well, that's just stupid. You probably shouldn't own a motorcycle.

But ... the side stand spring could always break or pop off or some other mechanical problem that would cause it to come down on its own *while* you were riding and that would not be good as noted above. And the little rubber strap is there to prevent that. I think it's a good, simple, trouble free design that guards against mechanicals that you can't control yet is not too overly nanny. Your choice whether to use it or not. I always do, its easy to remember to do it when you put the side stand up.

So perhaps one could do something similar on the KLX if there's an easy attachment point for a strap? You can get the KTM strap for about $5 (KTM part number 50303018000). A workable substitute might be a cross sectional slice from an old tube.

LMAO thats one special piece of equipment. if i needed one of those i would also need a special helmet to wear when i walk places

Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
LMAO thats one special piece of equipment. if i needed one of those i would also need a special helmet to wear when i walk places
That comes with every KTM.....that, along with an orange drool cup

Old 07-04-2010, 03:12 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've seen lots of real enduro and desert race bikes that have sidestands that come with a retaining strap or some other retaining device for the stand. Nothing really odd or retarded about that IMO. Think about the sidestand flopping down in a big dry riverbed g-out at about 50 mph. You'll probably make it out of the riverbed with no problem...without your bike.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Nothing really odd or retarded about that IMO.
No, but it makes for a golden opportunity to razz.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member

My reason for getting rid of the side stand cut out switch is pretty simple.

My legs hardly touch the ground and so sometimes I ride the bike off the side stand and kick it up once under way.
Or I put my left leg on the left side stand, and as I let the clutch out and the bike moves forward, I swing my right leg over the bike and I'm away again kicking the stand up as i go. :

Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Not to mention it makes lubing the chain much easier when you don't have to reach down while driving

This is an old thread, but I procrastinated about doing this and after some muddy bumpy riding I noticed my bike cutting in and out, im sure its this switch, so i'm going to bypass it.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike was acting up the other day ( stalling out when I let out the clutch )

Thanks to this thread I went right to the switch and that was the problem. The plunger was not coming out all the way allowing the circuit to close.

I pushed it in a few times and that fixed the problem but I will be closing that circuit for good the next time I work on the bike.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM

One would imagine (this is from electrical knowledge, not specifically motorcycle knowledge) that you could get the best of both worlds by wiring in a switch of some kind up at the top of the circuit under the seat (where CJ traced his wires to). you could even place the switch itself on the bars for easy access if you felt like it.

then you'd have an on demand kickstand switch disabler. you could turn it on (switch enabled) in situations where that's probably a good idea, and turn it off (switch disabled) in others (like when the KS switch breaks)

Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

That would require the KS switch to ever be a good idea. Mine's gone. The 2009+ bikes are a bit different in that you actually have to strip and connect the bare wires where the old KLXs had male/female plugs that conveniently plug into each other under the seat.

Quick Reply: Kickstand sensor heads up