kick starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
The next step would be to remove the starter motor, etc... It would be worth it to shed weight depending on what the savings would be. My old school Suzuki SP125 (red DR) had no electric start and I didn't give a rip. Dirt bikes should be kick start only in my book.

My son's CRF150F has a battery and starter motor, etc... Just for the laziness of a push button start and it has been the biggest problem with that bike. I wish the KLX didn't have all the bullcrap electric start mumbo-jumbo. Let us know how the kick start kits work out for you guys and how much you had to pony up for the job.
Good luck.

M
Only one small issue with that Mikey. Many people feel the electric leg comes in handy..including me. The KLX isn't a pure dirt bike either...just my take. I would say its e-start is a bit more reliable that the barely good enough systems put on most off road only models. To each his own though. I realize there are peeps who don't spend most of their time off road and don't have much use for it. Still, even in that scenario, I would think e-start might come-in handy in some situations. Just sayin....

Old 08-08-2009, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Bro that E start is going nowhere on this lil pig.....now a real performance bike I would consider it....the klx ain't that.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Kickin' a bike half way up 200 meters of rock strewn 1/6 aint no fun. The button stays.
A lot of $ for the kit where I live add a few more $ and you have a 351 with a button. I know where I'd spend my public service employee fat bonus. Haha.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Now learning to throw a 10' cast net .... thats hard....I'm talkin Forrest Gump Shrimpin Hard.
Nah Finger, throwing a 10' net is a piece of cake. Throwing it effectively in real world situations, say, in a perfect 'O' pattern off the front deck on a small skiff in a chop looking into the sun with the mother of all Crown Royal hangovers, well, that's a b***h

By comparison your write up on the kickstart add looks pretty straightforward. I'm old school about batteries on bikes and not having a kickstart option bothers me. Sooner or later a battery is going to leave me stranded in BFE and I won't be happy. Right about then I'll wish the Kawi engineers had convinced the bean counters to go back upstairs when the kickstart came up. Probably saved a whopping $50 in production costs and a couple of pounds in weight. They should be so proud.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm startin' to think hard about this kick start kit. My bike is starting to hate water. After some excessive water crossings electric start only works in neutral (found this out this evening). So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the clutch switch. Gonna check it out tommorow.
But its a bad feeling when you push that magic button and nuttin' happens!!!
That's when you wish for a kick start.

Exactly what does this kit cost? I have no fear of ripping motors apart to do repairs/maintenance. (I re-ringed my old trike engine when I was 13. Didn't have a service manual either!!!)

Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxrelic
I'm startin' to think hard about this kick start kit. My bike is starting to hate water. After some excessive water crossings electric start only works in neutral (found this out this evening). So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the clutch switch. Gonna check it out tommorow.
But its a bad feeling when you push that magic button and nuttin' happens!!!
That's when you wish for a kick start.

Exactly what does this kit cost? I have no fear of ripping motors apart to do repairs/maintenance. (I re-ringed my old trike engine when I was 13. Didn't have a service manual either!!!)
Sounds like the sidestand switch rather than the clutch switch, though I could be mistaken. Bypass them both.... it'd suck to be stranded with a perfectly good bike because some stupid "safety" switch went bad in the wilderness.

I'm more concerned with running down the battery after a crash... had that happen to me a couple months ago. Bit the dust, flooded the bike in the crash, couldn't restart. I ended up pushing the bike out of the woods in 100+ degree temps and almost killed myself. Not my proudest moment... THAT is why I want a kickstart.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Nope, not sidestand switch. disconnected that couple weeks ago. It was giving me a problem--sticking.
I see your point there too. Batteries aren't exactly that powerful are they. And something tells me that one would never be able to push the bike fast enough to jump start em.

Yup, I'm thinking more and more about this kit. Do you know the price?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

$279 from Babbits (Finger Mullet hooked me up with the link) Go to OEM parts and then "Optional Equipment".

Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I will eventually install this on my bike. I did the install on my wife's 2006 Yamaha XT 225 the day after my vasectomy......ouch! It was pretty easy on her bike. The KLX is a little more involved. What I don't understand is why was the kit for the Yamaha only $100.00 and the KLX kit is almost $300.00???

Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
$279 from Babbits (Finger Mullet hooked me up with the link) Go to OEM parts and then "Optional Equipment".
Whats the part # for the 09?