kick start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default kick start

Has anyone been able to locate a kick start that can be mounted onto the KLX250 yet? I know it seems rediculous to have because starting it would be a bich but i am one of those over prepare guys and i dont really like having electricity hold my fate in the event of a "isolated" ride.(e-start)

Old 12-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Default RE: kick start

from what i've heard the whole set up from the klx300 would work but you would have to tear down the whole engine down to install all the components and lose the e start in the process. but thats just what i've "heard" and might be wrong

Old 12-04-2006, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

Has anyone been able to locate a kick start that can be mounted onto the KLX250 yet? I know it seems rediculous to have because starting it would be a bich but i am one of those over prepare guys and i dont really like having electricity hold my fate in the event of a "isolated" ride.(e-start)
You can buy the kit from Kawasaki P/N 99999-0073 price from www.ronayers.com is $265.94

Old 12-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Too bad our bike wasn't like the Yamaha 225 since all you have to do is take off the clutch cover and install the kick starter. With our bikes you have to completely split the case and add a different shaft and that's way over my head as far as modding goes, and waaaaaaaaay out of my price range to have it done for me.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Too bad our bike wasn't like the Yamaha 225 since all you have to do is take off the clutch cover and install the kick starter. With our bikes you have to completely split the case and add a different shaft and that's way over my head as far as modding goes, and waaaaaaaaay out of my price range to have it done for me.
Are you sure?

Name:  convert.png
Views: 73
Size:  28.3 KB

Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 AM

These diagram seems less complicated than assembling the rear diffs or reverse module in a Savage. Wow I may be able to do lots of things without bringing it to the shop.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

It only seems less complicated because the pieces are bigger. I hear ya though, lotsa little pieces on those buggers.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:28 PM

"Splitting Cases" is probably the wrong term to use. More like taking the right side cover off. Usually not a big deal as someday you might want to change the clutch assembly.

When one talks of "Splitting the cases" that is only done when you need to get to the crankshaft assembly for removal.

While I've not done the work, I have looked into it. I don't think it will be the kind of headache some folks are making it out to be.

Heck, I'll even do this - buy the setup from Ron Ayers and send it along. I'll take the time, effort and whatever to install it on my bike, take pictures and write a procedure for all of you to put it on your bikes. Such a deal!

Old 12-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well if you don't have to "split the case", then how do you get the new gears in there?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM

Deej,

At this point, it's strictly an assumption, albeit an excellent one, but nonetheless an assumption.

If you look at part 13206 in the diagram you provided, I do believe that is the retainer for the gear pack.

I will take a look at my shop manuals this evening.

Or you can just buy and ship the parts to me.

Quick Reply: kick start