Kick stand switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Kick stand switch

How does one go about disconnecting that annoying device?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

It's just a 2 wire switch so you can do it two ways. The clean way is to follow the wires back till you locate the plug. Then unplug and remove the whole assembly. On the bike side of the plug build a small jumper and install it in the plug then tape and seal.

For a quick and dirty way just cut the wires, strip them back and splice them together on the bike side of the switch.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
It's just a 2 wire switch so you can do it two ways. The clean way is to follow the wires back till you locate the plug. Then unplug and remove the whole assembly. On the bike side of the plug build a small jumper and install it in the plug then tape and seal.

For a quick and dirty way just cut the wires, strip them back and splice them together on the bike side of the switch.
On mine, there was no need for a jumper. The switch wires come off and the bike-side wires are male/female and just connect right back to each other. Good to go.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
On mine, there was no need for a jumper. The switch wires come off and the bike-side wires are male/female and just connect right back to each other. Good to go.
Now that you mention it I think Mine was that way also. I have removed them on every bike I have had and forget which bike has had which type of connector.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

The clean way sounds like the best way. Thanks guys!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I followed mine up to the tank level and cut the connector off then secured the wires together.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
I followed mine up to the tank level and cut the connector off then secured the wires together.
This could be a "better" way to go. If the connectors come apart, the bike quits running. I'm putting some tape around mine to reduce the chance of a disconnect.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I soldered mine, then taped them.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I finally bypassed my switch this last June, I was down in Oregon and the switch was stuck because of all the dust, however I did just once a month or so after I got back leave the stand down and nearly high sided the bike in the post office parking lot. YIKES!!! Be careful out there.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Removed the switch plugs and after soldering the wires together I heat srinked them.

I have not left the kickstand down on accident yet but more than once with the switch installed I was in a hurry and put the kickstand down when I arrived at destination which killed the bike then I forgot to turn the bike off thus draining the battery. Thats the #1 reason the switch had to go for me.

Cheers Jim

Quick Reply: Kick stand switch