Key Switch removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I would love to have my bike Keyless but I am sure I would keep finding myself ariveing at work without keys to open the door. But what I do want to do is pull the ignition and have it rekeyed so both bikes are the same key.

Its on the list of things to do...................Someday
Cheers Jim

Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Inside the key switch is a resistor (about 100ohms from memory) and this needs to be wired into the wiring as well as fitting an alternative on/off switch.

I used a single pole switch for the main power, hard wired in the resistor, and didn't connect the park lights.
Neil, or redpillar, I'm in the process of installing an aftermarket headlight and in order to make it fit better,and to clean things up, I have decided to replace the ignition switch with a toggle. I am not worried about the "security" the resistor offers , the only thing I want is an on/off switch. It sounds like you have yours set up like this. I am fairly ignorant on electronic type things so I'd like to ask for a bit of help . From your schematic, I think my wiring is the same.

Mine.
Name:  IMG_7749.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  37.8 KB

I have an idea what will work, but vito looks like he has a lot more going on in the pic he posted, maybe I'm missing something.

I am actually going to PM you what I'm thinking it should look like, instead of broadcasting how to hot wire a KLX to the world.

Ziplock bag-o-beer in the mail for either of you,,,,,,, or better yet, Neil stop by here and we can both head up to redpillar's

Dan

Last edited by dan888; 12-11-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I resolved that I posted before the switch. I am attaching links that I have done to and it works for me. the two red wires in 2009 no and do not know what they do. hello

Attached Thumbnails Key Switch removal-out.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking

so maybe we can see better

Attached Thumbnails Key Switch removal-out.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vito
so maybe we can see better
I'm still stuck
I'm not sure which wires are being connected by the switch in the on and off positions.
If you could draw in the connections made in the on and off positions I may understand better. I think if I tear apart the ignition switch I would understand but I'd rather not tear into it, unless I have to
OK maybe I get it , is the switch your using a double pole double throw?
Connecting like this? Red is the switch connections being made in on or off position.
????

(Images deleted)

(I plan on removing these images once I get it sorted out.)
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 12-14-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL I think I'm stumbling closer to an understanding. So far, I think Neils wiring is the only one that is the same as mine. I'd like to see exactly how he did his. Curious to see if he can hold my hand and explain how he set his up with only a single pole single throw switch. I'm not sure but I think the red wires are for the lights. I'm wondering if I can set mine up with two spst switches. One for the ignition and one for the lights. I would like to have the option of running the bike with the lights off.

(image deleted)

Appreciate your help.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 12-14-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I'm wondering if I can set mine up with two spst switches. One for the ignition and one for the lights. I would like to have the option of running the bike with the lights off.
The lighting circuit wired to the ignition switch is only the park lights.
No need to worry about them if you don't need/want park lights.
Thats what I did.

If you do want park lights, what about a double pole, double throw switch with a centre off? Or, a double pole triple throw switch.

Carry on.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
The lighting circuit wired to the ignition switch is only the park lights.
No need to worry about them if you don't need/want park lights.
Thats what I did.

If you do want park lights, what about a double pole, double throw switch with a centre off? Or, a double pole triple throw switch.

Carry on.
Thanks Neil,and Vito and Redpillar! I think I have it all straight now. Not sure when I will get to put my understanding to the test, as it's getting busy around here with the holidays. I will post a progress (or lack thereof) report once I dive into it again.
Thanks again. Beers on me if we ever get the chance.
Dan

Old 12-14-2010, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to add that I plan on using a double double pole quadruple throw with a half twist!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff! I am waiting for the mailman to deliver the HDB Handguards and bars etc to come so that I can start putting everything back together. I am looking forward to redesigning the wind screen and dashboard. I will stick some heated grips on as well.

Quick Reply: Key Switch removal