key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default key stuck in ignition

What I have is a 09 klx250s with the key stuck in the ignition. I've had a problem with it since it was new sliding in and out smoothly, I have used powder graphite before and it worked great. The other day I sprayed some liquid graphite on the key and slid it in and out a couple of times, it helped until the next day, it will not come out. Any ideas?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

the gf's bike has stickey key also. I have had the best luck with 3in1 oil but that lasts a month or two and then I need to re apply. Have not found a final solution yet. I also tried graphite and some others but 3in1 is working best so far.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the same prob. But my bike was runnin like crap at WOT just hammering it through the gears. It would cut out like it was runnin out of gas. I noticed my gas cap was hard to open and needed lubed. I lubed it since that prob and since it also vents through the cap. My run prob has went away so far. The lock on the fuel cap opened and locked so hard and crappy that it wasnt venting properly. I also lubed my ignition switch too. I use Zep 45. Works great. So far so good.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Wd40 or 3 and 1 oil and fiddle with it don't force it.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

WD40 is a poor choice IMHO........it's solvent based not a lubricant.

Use Tri-Flow........this stuff is awesome and recommended by many locksmiths to use on padlocks and entry locks that get sticky or just in need of some lubricant.
My KLX had the same sticky ignition when I purchased it.......this stuff fixed it right up.

Tri-Flow® Superior Lubricant Aerosol
Tri-Flow® Superior Lubricant is a superior, light viscosity lube that allows for deep penetration into hard to reach moving parts. The aerosol spray action allows you to have a focused spray for even application. High-grade petroleum oils provide optimum lubrication under extreme temperatures (-60 to 475°F) and humidity. Formulated solvents soften and remove dirt and contaminants, while special additives displace moisture and prevent rust and corrosion. Formulated with P.T.F.E.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm noticing my key is kinda sticky. My advise is stay away from actual oils. They attract and hold dirt. Might get away with it for awhile. But think about it. Take the key to the hardware store, have them run it under the brush at the key machine alittle. Normally helped with all my pick up keys over the years.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I use a little thin oil. I also found pushing the key in then pulling it out works for me. The harder I try to yank or force it out, the more it resits

Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Same problem here since new I use Inox and it does the trick. Actually apart from the chain Inox is all I ever put on my bike. Lubricant and anti corrosive, and does not remain sticky to attract dust like WD40. Also does not wash off with water. When I wash my bike I normally just spray the entire bike apart from discs and seat, and make sure some goes into ignition and fuel cap lock.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine has done this once or twice and I used wd40 with good results, been along time since I had any issues no matter what some of the experts here say.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I use powder graphite from my local locksmith.

Quick Reply: key stuck in ignition