Kenda 270s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Kenda 270s

My Kenda 270 front and rear tires came in and I got them mounted this evening. After mounting the rear, but before mounting the front, I took it for a test spin. While I don't have much time on the tire I did a little of both on and off road. I think I really like this tire. I don't really notice the "squirreliness" that others have reported on the road. But then again, I rarely go over 55 on pavement and don't really ride agressively there which is mainly where the squirreliness reports come from. On dirt, traction seems very good. I've been used to spinning out and doing donuts on my worn Dunlops. It's a lot harder to spin these new Kendas. I'm sure a lot of that is due to the Kenda being new and the Dunlop being worn as opposed to the tread being so much better. But still, I have no complaints with traction.

I have not yet ridden with the front, but I think it will be fine. Ask me again in a few weeks or so after I've ridden these for several hundred miles and I'll have a better assessment of their performance and quirks.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention - these are the 5.1 x 18 rear and 3.25 x 21 fronts. I got the widest I could get for traction off-road. The stock rear is 4.6x18 and the stock front is 3.0x21 so I gain a little width on both. There's still penty of clearence between the tire and the rear swingarm and chain. Plenty of room up front also.

Here are the mandatory photos:

Edit: try and get a few of the photos back.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Default RE: Kenda 270s

nobrakes,

That is the tire and sizes that I'm planning on replacing my stock tires with once they wear out.

Squirreliness is something that does not concern me as I don't ride on the pavement very much.

I need to know a couple of things:

o How does the 3.25 work in the sand

o Can you ride through Georgia red clay without getting stuck like incabiker?

Old 05-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

nobrakes,

That is the tire and sizes that I'm planning on replacing my stock tires with once they wear out.

Squirreliness is something that does not concern me as I don't ride on the pavement very much.

I need to know a couple of things:

o How does the 3.25 work in the sand
I'll get back to you on that. There's not a whole lot of sand here where I'm at, but I know a few spots down by a nearby lake. I noticed the sand pulling the front down when I went through there before so I'll let you know.

o Can you ride through Georgia red clay without getting stuck like incabiker?
Ha ha! I predict I could get 4 inches farther than Incabiker.

Best to avoid that stuff, though. I have no aversion to mud unless I'm wearing my nice leather jacket, but that stuff is just insane. That stuff is like quicksand, only mud. Quickmud. Maybe this could make it:

EDIT: fix image link

Old 05-03-2006, 05:49 AM

Pics aren't showing up for me.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Where did you get the tires, and how much? They look good.

deej

Old 05-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bonafide

Pics aren't showing up for me.
Edit: pics have long since expired.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Where did you get the tires, and how much? They look good.

deej
Woops, sorry - I quoted the wrong message before, meant the other response for Bonafide.

I got mine from http://www.americanmototire.com. They were $30.49 and $51.57 for the front and rear respectively. I also got a pair of Kenda Heavy Duty Tuff Tubes - twices as thick as regular tubes. Not sure if they are worth it, but I hate flats and maybe they'll help. Toss in a pair of tire irons while your there, I got the red handle Moose ones - worked fine. I was real happy with their service - they caught an error in my original order and e-mailed me to make sure and then fixed up the order. I had ordered a 12" tube instead of a 21" tube. I'm glad they caught that.

I've also heard good things about these guys, but I have no direct experience:

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...2&navType=type

Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 AM
1st Gear Member

OK forgive this noob and laugh all you want, but I am going to order the same tires, and I was wondering if you could post the tube sizes. Let me see if I have this much right.

Rear is 5.10 X 18
Front is 3.25 X 21

Rear Tube is ?
Front tube is ?

When I went to buy the tubes they are in the // sizes, so could you give me the sizes both ways?

Again sorry for being a green-horn

Old 05-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

OK forgive this noob and laugh all you want, but I am going to order the same tires, and I was wondering if you could post the tube sizes. Let me see if I have this much right.

Rear is 5.10 X 18
Front is 3.25 X 21

Rear Tube is ?
Front tube is ?

When I went to buy the tubes they are in the // sizes, so could you give me the sizes both ways?

Again sorry for being a green-horn
No problem. Here is what I got from http://www.americanmototire.com, in addition to the tires:

Product Details
Quantity Name Catalog Number Options Price Discounted to Tax Subtotal

1 KENDA N1814 US$11.95 US$10.76 US$0.00 US$10.76
HEAVY
DUTY
TUBE
4.50/
5.10-18

1 KENDA N2104 US$12.95 US$11.66 US$0.00 US$11.66
HEAVY
DUTY
TUBE 80/
100-21

1 MOOSE M01066 US$29.95 US$26.96 US$0.00 US$26.96
ULTIMATE
TY-ER
IRON

For the tubes, click on "Tubes", then "Kenda", then "Heavy Duty". For the irons, "Accessories", then "Tire Irons", then "Moose", the "TY-ER IRONS".

Hope that helps.

You might be able to get slightly better prices at the other link I posted. Also, they have free shipping if your order over $100. I didn't know about them when I got my stuff, though.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ok getting ready to order these on Rocky Mountain ATV and I have two choices for the back tube, which one do I need with the same tires you ordered.

100/100 X 18? Or

110-120/100 X 18

Quick Reply: Kenda 270s