Keep modding ? or wait it out

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Gathering from the original post and the replies, looks clear to get a FCR37MX for the 351since the the DRZ400 needs a pumper anyways. I think someone had a powerbomb for sale here, and that should be a better deal.

Cams should be the big power upper after the 351, and I'm waiting on them right now.... I will post a report after the install and ride for all to see.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by antmo920
So i bought a 250sf early this summer and love riding it on the streets. coming from a motocross backround ( stopped due to injury) i love bikes with power. Obviously this bike is lacking from the factory so after just over 1000 miles i got the BB351 kit. The bike as it sits now has the 351, fmf powercore muffler, re-jet, airbox lid removed, and a 13 tooth front sprocket.

Now what im wondering is: Is it worth it too keep modding a get a carb, and cams, and a header......OR

Just ride it out as it is for the year and then upgrade next summer to a drz400 or something similar?

What do you guys think? is the carb and cams really gonna make a big difference that will make me un-bored with the power?
I gotta be honest, i did all the mods you did and got to the same point. My issues were that the suspension was still too soft, the power was still a little light for what i wanted and i wanted a kick start after having gotten stranded with a dead battery. I did my evaluation and opted to look for something similar because i figured i would never recoup the money i put into it. I searched around based on what i was looking for on hte internet and was leaning towards huskies and KTMs (400 specifically)

Now im riding a KTM 400 EXC 2006 to replace the 2007 KLX. The first test ride before i bought i didnt think i liked it as much as the KLX. The owner kept dropping the price and i finally figured i could resell it for more than i bought it for if i didnt like it so i bought it with some hesitation. The bike just feels different. But after After the first off road ride, i packed up the KLX and havent looked back.

There really is no comparison between the two bikes and Im glad i made the switch. I dont feel the need to modify anything on this bike other than what it took to get it plated in VA. I think the biggest differences are that i really feel like it is a safer bike for me to ride in the sense that the bike is less weight but really feels MUCH lighter because the center of gravity appears to be much lower. That in combination with the rekluse clutch it had on it when i bought it are an amazing combination. I havent dropped the bike once yet, and dont feel as i have to be quite as cautious with the lower center of gravity. The rest of the bike feels more like a dirt bike and the suspension is much better suited for my 210 frame and offroad use. Power wise the 400 would run circles around my 351 when it was performing at peak. The KLX is a great bike, a jack of all trades, and it got me back into the riding world but for someone looking for more performance, there are others out there that you can pick up for close to the same money that will blow its doors off performance wise. Dont be afraid to make the switch if you still arent happy because i dont think the small incremental changes are going to get you where you sound like you want to be.