Keep KLX or Trade n get KTM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I have to agree with nobreaks- I had a klx 250- fcr carb, 331 big bore- header- rebuild/stroker suspension. and the list goes on to the tune of over $6500 (that the most I'll admit to) That is what I paid for a used ktm 450exc-r. Sad to say I did not recover 1/3 the money I put into it. But I did have so much fun building the bike. Fun aside is was not smart from a money point of view.

I loved the klx and I thought it was great- I raced my 1st enduro on it.
Then I pick up my son a 2002 ktm 200 exc. It blew away my klx and all my hard work. I think the single biggest problem with the klx and the drz is weight. If some one could make it 50 lighter it would be the perfect trail bike.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Last weekend, riding KLX to Madrid, NM. That where the Wild Hog make movie there. Vroom on snake road and ripped on rough gravel road to top the hill with awesome view of Madrid town and can see the Santa Fe. We stop by Mine Shaft Travern for beers, lunch watch football game. After the saloon, saw guy ride 2006 KTM EXC end up we had interesting talk about our bike. He said that he have been take KTM shop several times relate signal light melt, front fork leaking and 3 time a major repairs on valve, that have to adjust then valve broke off, last one had to replace bore, piston, pretty much he get a new engine on his KTM.. He have ride hard on KTM and only 8,000 miles. That hit me hard when I heard first things he talk about problems on KTM.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Horses for courses, the KLX is a mild mannered long lasting dual sport, the KTM is a hairy chested, lightly built enduro bike. One of them you have to treat with kid gloves but oh the performance. The other will last a long time with little maintenance and will take you anywhere at a moderate pace. You pays your money and you makes your choice.
What do you want?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCKAW
That hit me hard when I heard first things he talk about problems on KTM.
Heard a few KTM definitions this weekend. No offense to our KTM friends, I'm sure they have heard them all.

Kant
Take
Much

Kick
Till
Monday

Kmart
Trail
Machine LOL my fav

Kick
Twenty
Minutes

Keeps
Taking
Money
or
Keep
Throwing
Money at it.

Keep
The
Manual

Kosts
Too
Much

Keep
Three
Mechanics

Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My experience has been they are solid and reliable. I ride with a lot of KTM'ers too and none of my friends have any problems. Many are even on old used bikes, 3, 4, and 5+ years old, and most have been ridden *hard*. All are still running tight and strong and certainly are not babied.

Sure, never change the oil or air filter and you'll have problems. Guaranteed. But you can find those stories for all mfgs, who knows which ones are due to real problems vs poor care or maintenance? How many KLX horror stories have there been even here on this forum? I've heard several here. I think most people know it's a reliable machine. But that doesn't mean there aren't a few lemons.

Gotta take all those with a grain of salt. Especially from guys who sit in bars drinking and watching football instead of riding.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I too went from KLX to KTM.. Take the fun factor, and how satisfied you would be, and then weigh that with changing oil and checking valve clearances.
For me it was worth it. I bought a 05 525 smr, and put dirt tires on it and a bunch of other things... Ohhh man that thing had so damn much torque, wheelies at 85 kms/hr was satisfying.. Sold the beast to buy a house, and miss it every day... I don't really miss the KLX much, other than just wishing I had it as I have nothing now. I was amazed how much lighter the KTM felt than the KLX too. How people on the ktm forums refer to the big bores as heavy pigs.. ha, they couldn't have ridden any klx's before.

My next bike of choice is either the 300XCW, or an 09 or newer husaberg 570... Mmmmm
FOr me the oil changes and light daily maintenance comes no where near close to me trading it off for low maintenance low power.
Some people it dosn't suit

Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahh hell. Just do it!

What is the worst that can happen? You decide you liked the KLX better...
Well, there are solutions to that problem too.

If you are thinking about it that much and that hard.
I say... Do it!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Winter come up soon, I m going to keep the KLX and let it be bone stock! I m not plan keep KLX long time maybe this spring time plan to sell then get better bike.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daveg
If some one could make it 50 lighter it would be the perfect trail bike.
I was thinking more like 70, but that has to be the best statment to describe the klx.