Keep KLX or Trade n get KTM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Honest with you guys that I don’t know how to surgery engine to install big bore, and re jetting to get better performance on KLX. I need to have someone to work on my bike that kinds of risky if that person doesn’t do well on my KLX then ruin it. Cost more money to fix up. The guy who work bike shop, he have been into motocross and endro racing for pretty long time. He suggest me easier to rid KLX and get better bike. That make me feel why I m not so sure if worth to keep KLX and do those mods or just keep it simply bone stock until I trade or sell get better bike?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

i went throught the same thing, couple of friends now have a drz400e. thats a more powerful klx. same thing low maintenance etc, the klx has no problems with keeping up, the last rally we when to i finished 30mins before my mate, and in the top 20 out of 1000 riders. the klx is far more rider friendly than almost any other dirt bike. exhaust and a carby make thing so much better.

my self, im turning this bike into a 351 with a tm33, full stain tune. i predict 35rwhp. the klx is every thing you want, it does require some work on it. it is nice and light, cheap, low maintenance and the few mods are fairly cheap.

mods that i recommend.

full pipe, second hand is the best value for around $500
tm33 pumper carb $400 from bill blue
and the free mods and gearing.

let us know what you end up doing

Old 10-19-2009, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't post much anymre but in your case I'd sell it and gt the ktm. Mine is about as modified as you can get and its no ktm.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

To each his own, and while I hate to see guys sell the KLX, I understand totally. Trust me power is nice, I rode a DRZ once, and it had twice the power or at least it felt like it. But for me its about history, and sentimental value.

When I get something I hang on to it forever..First wife notwithstanding.. I plan on having the KLX till I die, and then its getting buried with me. That's how I roll. I mean shoot I still have a Ghetto Blaster from 1982 that is in pristine condition.

Said Ghetto Blaster..

Name:  GhettoBlaster.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.5 KB

I wish everyone lived close though, so that before they gave up on the KLX they could ride mine to see the difference with Jetting and a full pipe. 13-45 gears The 331 kit probably is awesome, and who knows maybe someday when I have money and the bike has like 50,000 miles on it I will head to that. But again, everybody has different definitions of power, and if you want more then do what you gotta do.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 to Deej's comments.
First of all there is NO PERFECT motorcycle............... Just accept it!!!!!
I have often looked at the KTM as well and thouyght it was pretty cool yet awefully expensive. I even had my mwife talked into a new 610TE and then decided to keep my beloved KLX250s. It's one of those great bikes that you fall in love with. Too many times I sold a bike then realized how much I liked it years after it was history.

I too have done all the stuff including full exhaust. None of the mods are difficult to do.

Just rode a DRZ400 (2008) yesterday and was not overly impressed with the complete package. Yes it had great low end power but the bike is noticeably heavier and I did not care for the orgonmomics. (just my opinion)

I'm in the process of making up a 310cc cylinder. I scored one from eBay really cheap, and havig friends in the business I'm m setting up a newly plated 80mm cylinder w/ wiesco piston and OE gaskets for approx $350.
I know most will say go with the 351 kit but I have serious concens on the long time durability of the "wet-liner" and """ please no offense to anyone......."""
My choice is to use the nikasil bore. Should have it up and running in a couple weeks and I'll let you all know how it is.
DJF

Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If you're looking purely at $$$, I'd say for the price of taking the KLX to KTM'ish level, you're better off starting with a KTM. Or Husqvarna, or whatever your preference is. The difference is more than just power, there's suspension to think about too. Frame and geometry is another factor, but I'd probably put that into the category of personal fit. But you can change the fork height and sag which change the ride and geometry, there are lots of adjustments to consider if something isn't working quite right for you. You really probably need to ride one, to make sure. Preferably, ride several and see what you like the best, keeping in mind all the little free tweaks you need to do to make a bike truly comfortable - handlebar and lever positions, and so forth. Someone else's optimal setup most likely will not feel great to you, just keep that in mind with any bike, you can make it better with some tweaks so in test rides of friends' bike, one needs to keep that in mind.

This is not to say that you can't make the KLX a great and very spunky, well suspended bike. But it takes $$$ over stock. Personally, I'd say minimally do a big bore, carburetor, exhaust, and suspension job. But it really depends on what you want out of it because everyone's different, and wants different things from their bike. A big bore, carb, exhaust and suspension really does transform the KLX into a whole new bike. But you're looking at around $2k +/- to get there, for the full service. Minimum.

As for my own experience, I liked my KLX331 w/FCR carb, exhaust, etc and it felt great to me. But I had my eye on the new at the time street legal KTM EXC's, and when my wife said, "you should get it," I could not resist. And two and half years later I'm still happy with my '07 KTM 450 EXC and quite frankly it is *still* more bike than I can fully utilize and probably will be for my lifetime. But that's actually one of the things I like about it. It's always exciting.

However, with the exceedingly weak US$ vs the euro, KTM's are pretty expensive for us in the US these days. However, great deals can be found used. And don't forget Husky, Husaberg, and others. Personally, if I were buying again right now, I would find some way to get the new Husaberg 390 (or maybe the 450 but I would lean toward the 390). At any rate, it's hard to go wrong with a modern dirt bike these days. The main thing I'd be looking for is if it was street legal off the dealer floor or could it be made so. Some states here in the US make this very difficult if it doesn't already come that way. That may not be a factor for you.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 10-19-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Last night I was in my garage for almost hour to stare KLX and have deep thought about myself. Should I just keep tame KLX or trade to wild KTM. I remember when I first buy and riding the KLX. My mind said this bike need some simple work to get exhaust and rejetting on KLX that might improve on bike. The bike shop guy said that not worth that you will waste money and not make any huge improve just very minimum because where I live in Santa Fe, NM very high altitude about 6,500ft.

Now I need to make a list. Get better carb, big bore, and exhaust. I have gut feeling that KLX can be better if I do those mods but problem that I don’t really know how to mods and not sure how big difference. Mods on KLX will make me happier or cause too much trouble? That pretty much $$$ to invest on KLX … That could have simply trade to better bike with 450cc.

Those people who part this forums do really give me more thoughtful about KLX that make me want to keep KLX! Which one is better for me? That is hard decision for me to make.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=Nobrakes;397559] and when my wife said, "you should get it," I could not resist. [QUOTE]
LOL, "You should get it if you want it" That's what my wife says. Usually when I'm trying to justify spending more than I should on something (trying to talk myself out of it / feeling guilty about spending so much)

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

If you can swing the extra $$$, Get the KTM!!! Plain & Simple. Sure it may require more maintenance but if you don't abuse it, it'll give you plenty of hours/miles before major maintenance is needed. Some of us are happy with the KLX but if you're tough enough to handle a KTM wide open then your talents are being wasted on the little KLX. I love my KLX but would get a Katoom in a New York Minute if I had the $$$.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

I have learned over the years with bikes, cars, and women, that just cause it’s expensive doesn’t necessarily make it better……………..

Quick Reply: Keep KLX or Trade n get KTM?