Kawasaki Service Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Kawasaki Service Bulletin

Hi MaverickAus. Have you done the carb slide mod yourself?
Have you seen the pic I posted with the 5 holes?
Did your slide only have the extra 2 holes in the slide?
[sm=feedback.gif]
ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

http://ninemsn.bikepoint.com.au/port...opDefault.aspx

under the heading "Tuning it up"

Old 03-22-2008, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

This is all very interesting as I may have played some part in the issue of the service bulletin. I bought my KLX250 two and a half years ago. It was sitting in the dealer with 180km on the speedo, a Staintune pipe, alternate sprockets and barkbusters. The bike was being sold on behalf of the owner, who had paid over Aus $8000 to the dealer just a couple of months earlier. He had returned it because "it did not have enough power".
I paid Aus $7000. Took the bike home - was OK on the flat but climbing the big hill home just died in the ****. I complained to the dealer that the bike was a dud. My 30 year old XL125 would walk away from it up hills.
I then did a bit of research on the net and found out about the carb slide holes. Rang Kawasaki Australia and spoke to one of their technicians. He told me the bike will never run properly unless the two top holes in the carb slide are filled.
After doing this, I was amazed at the difference. Took it back to the dealer with this information. It should be noted that this was a new Kawasaki dealership, and the owner was still becoming familiar with the Kawasaki range of bikes.
Subsequently the dealer has sold heaps of KLX250s, all probably with the"competition modification" to the carb. Nobody coould seriously ride this bike without doing this.At least it issimpler to do this than strip the smog gear off that our mates in theUSA get!
On another note, I am going to upgrade to a KLX450 later this year. Checked out one at the dealer and noted that the throttle only turns about 1/4 the way! the dealer knows this too and removes the stop tocustomers whorequire it (all of them of course!)

Old 03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Mekon
At least it issimpler to do this than strip the smog gear off that our mates in theUSA get!

The KCAS system comes off in just a few minutes but it doesn't effect engine performance like the extra holes in the slide.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WestOzKLX

Hi MaverickAus. Have you done the carb slide mod yourself?
Have you seen the pic I posted with the 5 holes?
Did your slide only have the extra 2 holes in the slide?
[sm=feedback.gif]
ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

http://ninemsn.bikepoint.com.au/port...opDefault.aspx

under the heading "Tuning it up"
No I went for the Mikuni TM33 instead

Old 03-22-2008, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I just filled in the holes a couple of weeks ago, before this I had put about 2200 kilometres on the bike - HOLY ^&$@( I couldn't believe the difference in power she has now, 2nd and 3rd really do have some ***** now especially 6000 - 8500 RPM

But yeah definately filled the holes with an epoxy, very strange how the dealer didn't know about the restriction.... As far as I knew ALL bikes come restricted in some way...

Old 03-23-2008, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

At least it issimpler to do this than strip the smog gear off that our mates in theUSA get!

The KCAS system comes off in just a few minutes but it doesn't effect engine performance like the extra holes in the slide.
I find it amazing that the regulators in Australia are so obsessed with noise (hence the holes to stop the slide lifting) whereas the US regulators seem more concerned with smog.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

The sticker on my Aus model says 85 decibels at 4000RPM. Most bogun petrolheads fit extractors and they're way over that level. Lame move by Kwaka.
I'm sure they could have made them to a 93 decibel limit and not mess with the carb.[sm=chairshot.gif]

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

At least it is simpler to do this than strip the smog gear off that our mates in the USA get!

I find it amazing that the regulators in Australia are so obsessed with noise (hence the holes to stop the slide lifting) whereas the US regulators seem more concerned with smog.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

So do the US bike have this "hole" that needs to be filled? I just want to make sure that I do this when i have the carb out. I am still kinda confused on where it is. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Nick

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Service Bulletin