Kawasaki KLX250 D-Tracker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Kawasaki KLX250 D-Tracker?

Hey guys,

It seems like, at least to me, but here in the states we get everything a little bit later than everyone else as far as the KLX lineup goes. Good example would be FI bikes whereas everyone else had already had it for years. It seems like, the supermoto space is kind of a void right now at least in the states and that over in places in Indonesia and much of India as already seen what looks to be a KLX250SF in the name of "D Tracker" so I think is it reasonable its just a matter of time before it hits state side for us?

Never rode a SM before but definitely am interested in the possibility especially with FI since most of my riding on my 2018 klx is mostly street anyways. At this rate though, I've worn down my knobbies so much that they might as well be street tire! I guess 4500 miles tends to do that.

Youtube video/preview of bike below:

Last edited by VWJETTY; 08-15-2020 at 03:11 PM. Reason: add video link for reference
Old 08-15-2020, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Been here and gone, but in the carbureted version called the KLX250SF.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like more than 75% of the parts would interchange with my '09. Kawasaki is good at getting the most out of their tooling and fixtures. My '94 KLR650 remained 95% the same for nearly 20 years.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldgypsy
Kawasaki is good at getting the most out of their tooling and fixtures. My '94 KLR650 remained 95% the same for nearly 20 years.
Couldn't agree more. It's kind of a double-edged sword though. Because in one aspect, if we get another SF model out in EFI then I can convert my 2018 KLX250 in the camo colorway to a SM readily easily once it saturates the market and that'll be an interesting bike.

But the downside is....KTM, Honda, Yamaha are kind of surpassing what the KLX250 is right now with advances in technology....say, slipper clutches, ABS, gear indicator. I was honestly super hard-pressed if I wanted to buy the KLX250 when I was shopping for a dual sport just because it felt like the KLX250 compared to the competition was so in so many ways leaps and bounds behind and at marginal cost differences especially in the used market (with the exception of the WR250's which still command a premium used).

Old 08-15-2020, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Honda may seem advanced, but it's about 20 lb heavier with suspension that is inferior compared to the KLX. The only actual advantage for some is ABS. . The only way you get more is to pay more. For the couple thousand higher the WR is you can have the suspension set up for you and add a 351 kit if you wanted. That's what makes the KLX a good buy. It has enough good stuff to outweigh anything that is on par or lower priced than it is.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I don’t know if a 20 hp bike needs a slipper clutch, gear indicator or even ABS. 50/50 tires should last longer than knobbies, and still hook up.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey, it's only $2000-$5000 more to get all that stuff. What's money... The only thing listed that is found on a bike with a competitive price point is the Honda has available on the CRF250Land the very very dated XT250..

Here's a clip from a Cycle World article giving some dollar value to the bikes:
$5,949 for the Honda CRF250L Rally and $6,249 for the Rally ABS versus $5,199 for the CRF250L and $5,499 for the CRF250L ABS. By comparison, Kawasaki’s KLX250 is $5,399 while Yamaha’s got two models: the XT250 for $5,199 and the WR250R for $6,699.
As said, the KLX has superior suspension in comparison to the Hondas, along with weight being 20 lb less than the lightest Honda. The Yamaha XT makes the KLX look cutting edge with its 80s dual sport air cooled low level suspension. And as said, the WR is $2300 more to get those improvements. It isn't reasonable to even compare the KTM/Husky/Honda 450L in the mix because those are basically tall extremely dirt oriented enduro based bikes and break five figures. It would be like comparing a Kawasaki Z400 to a Ducati Streetfighter.

So really the KLX is only being "left behind" because the earlier models were far more advanced than any other Japanese lower level dual sport. Think about it:
  • MX developed perimeter frame,
  • linkage rear suspension w/rebuildable revalvable shock both rebound and compression damping adjustment capability,
  • Forks compression damping adjustable
From there, to quote DirtBike in its most recent testing:
It’s not especially high tech. It’s not powerful, light or sophisticated. In just about every way, it’s the opposite of the KTM 250EXC that steals the spotlight in most dual-sport threads. But it’s still a legitimate 250cc dual-sport bike, and it fills a crucial need in the motorcycle world perfectly.
Want more? You're gonna pay more... a lot more.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:37 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Following the motorcycle trends around the world is interesting. The big markets in Europe, Asia, and the U.S. seem to drive everything, but the U.S. has slowed a good deal in units sold over the recent years. As far as the supermoto category goes, it never really caught on in great numbers at the production level. Real supermoto aficionados built their supermotos from actual motocross bikes. The lukewarm examples from the manufacturers that we got in the U.S. were for the most part just faux examples of what a supermoto really is. The market energy was just never there for these bikes. The good news...if one really wants a supermoto, one can build one from a real performance motorcycle or take a mild dual sport and do the same.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the article link, I actually read it and found it interesting. And I think it's a good assessment especially from my perspective as a klx owner. More times than not the klx kinda gets swept under the rug for the more advanced options out there. But for someone who can turn a wrench or two the KLX i agree is an excellent option as you can definitely save a lot of $ with a few hop up parts. Parts for these bikes are readily accessable and backward compatible so I do enjoy that aspect of it as well.

TNC, at first i thought SM was kinda of goofy looking as well so I can see how it wouldn't have caught on with the US market. But over in europe where they have specific license that limit displacement bike selection, the SM i think can be really good for an entry rider looking to do more sport-spirited riding. I know where I live in Virginia, it's all cruisers and sports bikes. Every once in awhile I'll see an adventure bike in the form of a bigger GS from BMW. Haven't seen another dual sport and I've owned mine since 2018.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

If you ever saw a Supermoto race you'd not think they were quite so goofy. Awesome combination of motocross bikes set up like dirt trackers ridden on a dual surface - dirt and asphalt - track. They slide into the corners and out again on the pavement as well as dirt. The AMA screwed up with the sport back around 2003-2004 and it never blossomed like it should have. The thing with a supermoto set up is you can out ride most riders on a sport bike on a tight cornered stretch of road. I used to do that with my KLX650 even with the dual sport 21/17 wheels.

Suzuki has been building their DRz400 SM for over ten years now and still have it in the line up. It is nicer to have a bit more power like the DRz does, but the KLX should be incredible in corners and if a rider can hold momentum and not be afraid to lean it in, they'd be phenomenal. If I didn't use mine so much on rough dirt/gravel surfaces and some trails I'd have an SM. Super around town hooligan ride.

Last edited by klx678; 08-16-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki KLX250 D-Tracker?