Kawasaki card on the way, but a ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Kawasaki card on the way, but a ?

Ok, after much thought and much reading on the net esp. here I've decided to replace my aging Honda Trail 90 with the KLX 250s.
At first I thought maybe i was too big at 189 pounds and 6'1" but after reading here I know better.
Then I was scared a bit by the carburetor icing issues and the fuel capacity issues.....I've already ordered a 1 gallon spare gas tank to mount on the rear rack to address the range concerns and I think that simple fuel additives will stop the icing issues.
I've applied online to Kawasaki and been approved, the magic card is en route to me. So a question...I love the interest rate 5.99 for two years....so I'm paying around $60/month.....but what happens after 2 years?
Thanks ahead of time,
Robert
p.s. havent ordered the Pelican case yet but will probably have it before the Kaw credit card gets here.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Kawasaki card on the way, but a ?

Great news! You're going to love it!

On the card, just be sure to pay on time. If you miss one payment, they're going to jack with you on the interest. If you can, I'd advise setting up an automatic payment with your bank so you never miss one. Also, when ever possible, pay a bit extra each month to knock down the principal.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 AM

If at all possible, start to save so when you send in payment #24 the entire amount is sent in!

You can win that way!

Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

all sounds good and thanks for the replies....they do lead to another question...
do you think Icould call Kawasaki credit and talk to them about automating the payment process.....also excellent idea about paying more each month.
also, how many of you did the extende warrantee plan?
last question, anyone here near east TN?
They've got the Yamaha xt 225 at the same dealership and one could compare them side by side....my use is on the back of an RV so the 30 pound weight difference caused me to look at the yamaha for a while until i discovered its cold weather starting issues which seem to have been negated with the klx 250 with the pull **** getting pulled just a little bit more...
the reports of the carb icing on the klx were disturbing, but dont you all think fuel additives would solve that?
thanks,
robert

Old 02-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I was reading some of the older posts here since the area for our bikes opened up. The question about the card and % rates is if I understand it right. 5.9% for 24 months, and then it goes up to 9.9%. Also keep in mind that anything you buy with the card besides bikes will be at a much higher rate, something like 17%. As far as the warranty goes I added the full 4 extra years, to make it a 5 year warranty. I did this because I'm not the best bike mechanic, and the bike being a 4 stroke, there is a lot more to changing a piston than taking off 4 bolts and sliding off the cylinder. So for me this warranty was a piece of mind.

deej

Old 02-16-2006, 05:28 AM

I would test ride the KLX, Ymaah XT225 and a DR-Z400. Since you're 6'1" you could find the KLX a little dramped. I'm 5'11", and it's fine for me. I might get some wider bars and definitely some bigger pegs. I think comparison shopping is good to feel more comfortable about hte purchase.

I didn't bother with the extended warranty. I never had a warranty type issue after the first year on my last 2 motorcycles. Most other problems you'll run into are often have a recall associated with it. The biek overall is very simple, so while the warraty is cheap, it's also not too procy ot work on the bike. I'd feel comfortable replacing the whole motor myself, but I'd probably have any internal work done at a shop. IMO... I think extended warranties are a waste of money... unless it's a Ford (including Volvo, Mazda & Jaguar), GM, Daimler-Chrysler, VW, or Subaru.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MedicineMan
fuel capacity issues.....I've already ordered a 1 gallon spare gas tank to mount on the rear rack to address the range concerns
Umm be carefull about mounting that tank, read this thread first https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_20220/tm.htm

Old 02-16-2006, 05:58 PM

i just bought the klx 2 days ago, and i must say i love it so far. this is my 11th bike, and so far it seems like its going to be the most fun to ride. like you i was looking at the xt225 also. i actually visited the yamaha dealer first, but after i left there and went to the kawasaki dealer it was a no brainer for me. the klx seems so much more worth the money to me. but i guess it depends on what your wanting out of it. i could imagine the xt would be a little more comfortable around town, but the off road capability of the klx seems far superior. i think once you see the two side by side you'll agree. i also got the same promo you are talking about, and it goes to 9.9 after 24 months, but if you can pay around 220 a month it'll be paid off by then. have fun!!

keith