Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   The KACR on the KLX250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/kacr-klx250s-7167/)

cwgoff 10-31-2006 10:57 PM

RE: The KACR on the KLX250S

This is a definite threadjack, but it sort of relates.

What is a reasonable cost for 1 or 2 years worth of extended warranty? I did not get any extension when I bought my bike, but it sounds like you can buy warranty extensions up to the end of the first year. Is that right? If so, back to the cost question. If the extension cost hundreds of dollars (as I expect it does) then I see myself just scheduling a little garage time after my bike's 1st birthday where I will be removing the KACR. That thing just seems like it's not a matter of "if" but "when" it will fail.

The good news for me is that I am clocking down some serious miles commuting on my bike, so I expect I will be up around 10000 or 12000 miles by the end of year #1. Based on what I am hearing, if it's going to fail, it will fail before that.

deej 11-01-2006 12:43 AM

RE: The KACR on the KLX250S

When I bought my bike last November I decided to get the extra 4 year warranty, it was $440.00, and I am glad I did. Yes I had the camshaft replaced a couple of months ago, at around 2700 miles. I have to say if Kawi drops the ball on this one at least I know I can get it replaced every year for 4 more years, and I told the parts guy and the mechanics that, and they said it probably wouldn't be a recall unless it was a safety issue. They said that some Honda bikes had issues with the compression release, and it was finally resolved either in replaced camshafts or as soon as the next years model came out. Time will tell, and I'm really paying attention to the bike lately, lets hope its just a few that went south, but I have a feeling its not that way. Now where was that petition to Kawasaki that came across on the Blackberry, I'll take a look at the paperwork when I get home, and input my information. ;)

ddt1972 07-28-2008 11:52 AM

Another failed part.....

I have a head which I just purchased "used" for parts sitting here on my work bench, and I think it would be a candidate for one more data point. It was removed because of excessive noise, and inside I find something very interesting. The exhaust cam doesn't spin so well, but the intake cam spins fine. I pulled it apart, and the exhaust cam journals are very worn out, especially near the KACR. I don't know how many miles are on it, but it looks very good, except for the exhaust cam.

WestOzKLX 07-28-2008 12:30 PM

What does KACR stand for?
What is it?

neilaction 07-28-2008 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX (Post 312803)
What does KACR stand for?
What is it?

Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release

Automatic decompression to enable easier starting when the engine is hot.(or cold for that matter)
I suspect it holds the exhaust valve/s slightly open when starting until the rpm reaches a certain point.
As the engine actually starts the centrifugal force on the cam weights allow the valves to close all the way. :confused:
Something like that anyway.;)

deej 07-28-2008 01:48 PM

Cool I almost forgot about this thread. That shows that the search function is working great. ;)

tremor38 07-29-2008 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by neilaction (Post 312807)
Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release

Automatic decompression to enable easier starting when the engine is hot.(or cold for that matter)
I suspect it holds the exhaust valve/s slightly open when starting until the rpm reaches a certain point.
As the engine actually starts the centrifugal force on the cam weights allow the valves to close all the way. :confused:
Something like that anyway.;)

Yup, you got it..only one valve held open though.

ddt1972 08-14-2008 05:57 PM

Marty,

Any news on the removal of this beast? Did I miss it in another thread? Thinking my sewing-machine noise at around 4500 is coming from there, and I don't want to trash the head, like the one on my bench from the earlier post.

deej 08-14-2008 06:18 PM

If you remove it, then you better add a kick starter to the bike. ;)

jonathanneely 08-15-2008 01:52 AM

Do you know if it's on the 09's?

Deej, or anyone rather: question...my bike is a daily driver, I've had it since June 30th and I've already got 2100 miles on it...couple of joy rides through the mountains. How much life will this bike give me by doing the recommended maintenance? I'd like to think 100,000k+?