Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: K&N users beware?

well put. +1

Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I find that paper filters filter best & flow the least. K&Ns filter the least & flow the most. Foams are in between on both.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer
I find that paper filters filter best & flow the least. K&Ns filter the least & flow the most. Foams are in between on both.
Bingo....we have a winner.

But a dirty K&N could easily filter better than a clean paper. Filter effeciency is inversely related to pressure drop ....... for the most part There are exceptions at high velocities....but we're talkin a klx here.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 PM

I was surprised to find that this little cheapo paper filter for $12:

http://www.dratv.com/cuairfi35ta.html

flowed more than the K&N one that cost more than twice as much. I was using it on a Honda Elite 50 (2 stroke) scooter and I had it jetted to work with the paper one. When I put on the K&N it wouldn't even run. It immediately died and wouldn't start. I had to put in a smaller main jet so it ran right. I would've expected the opposite.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

ORIGINAL: KLXer
Bingo....we have a winner.

But a dirty K&N could easily filter better than a clean paper. Filter effeciency is inversely related to pressure drop ....... for the most part There are exceptions at high velocities....but we're talkin a klx here.
LOL! Yeah, but what is your flow at that point? Stuff a rubber cork in there and everything will be fillered. I think most of us would like some oxgen to get though.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll stick with oiled foam thanks

Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Can't argue with Finger Mullet. One of the reasons why I ditched the K&N. #1. I wanted simple care. #2. Give up the performance for a cleaner (more resricted) air intake. I want my engine to last as long as it can. Besides, the paper filter is bigger than whats needed and goes around 25k miles before needing a change.

As for the KLX, keep the foam. Easier to take care of. A little water, a little sqeeze, a spray of oil, and good as new.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

not sure as i havn't tinkered with a d-max since the '06 model but if it's like the newer systems then it has a HEATED WIRE MAF.The heated wire MAF is a curse. even with a stock filter.if one piece of dirt touches the wire it screws with the signal to the ECM.'06-'08 ford expeditions and F- series are known for this.simple fix for the K&N is to run an outerwears which you should be doing anyway.I have 3 years so far on my K&N with the outerwears and it has yet to be cleaned at all.just an occasional re-oil and then thro the sleave back on.the outerwears traps 90% of the crud.I don't even clean that until i can't see it's normal color any more.over cleaning a K&N also kills it....LEAVE THE DIRT PILE UP!!!!!just make sure it's oiled.as for my bike.....a twin air for me thanks.The atv get's a K&N with an outerwears for it due to the conditions it's ridden in,severe dust.but the atv has over 500 hours and 4800 miles and doesn't smoke or cause me any grief,so how can you say a K&N won't work?