K&N users beware?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default K&N users beware?

I was looking up possiable reasons why my truck wont start. One was the K&N filter I have in it. Something about the oil interfering with the MAF sensor. But what I found intresting was they link they had to http://duramax-diesel.com/****er/index.htm Showing K&N air filters doggin it on every test. A few of the tests were on how the filter fills up with dirt, how much dirt is "caught", and air flow...

Am I supposed to be mad because i spent $60 on one three weeks ago?
anyone wanna buy an almost new filter? haha

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: K&N users beware?

Well being an environmental engineer that designs and sells air pollution control devices the K&N preformed rather well....I was suprised the Uni performed better. Learn to read graphs and data and you'llbetter understand what they are trying to manipulate.

The dirty-er any filter gets the more effecient it becomes period....only problem is the more effecient a filter becomes the greater the pressure drop across the filter....we're not talking rocket science here.

Sure a non-foam high flow low pressure drop filter is going to become "more effecient" more quickly than a filter with a larger pore surface area.....you just need to clean thefilter more frequently to maintain the low pressure drop......which is to be expected for a nondisposable filter. Get It!

I'm Still amazed the Uni did better ........not much but a little better... than the K&N.

Mail your K&N to Finger Mullet in Florida.....I'll take it.

Oh on a side note my outboard engines don't even have filters unless you count the engine cowling. hint ....think about it.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I have yet to see dust on the water...just smoke

You are singing in your head aren't you

Old 12-01-2007, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

You know that haze we get in summer time in Florida......it's from the dust being blown over from Africa.....it actually affects hurricanes and makes great sunrises and sunsets.

The report is worried about 2.5 um to say 30 um dia particles....... big chunks of mud or sand will clog any filter.....or stick to the outside of an outboard cowling.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Nuttin wrong with singing a little dust in the wind.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

humm.... something about

"Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons."

Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

WHAT!!!??? Millions of trucks logging millions of miles can't be wrong. I have never had a problem with my K&N in the Dodge Truck.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Pie, what year and truck do you have? Let's not jump to conclusions here. I wonder who sponsored that report there? AC Delco perhaps?[8D]

Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

humm.... something about

"Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons."
lol......did the filter pass 18 times the dirt or capture 37% less dirt which one is it....lol can't do both.Please explain. Think about what you are saying.....it's just a filter......I already said clogging is faster with less surface area.......what do ya think ......AC has some magic filter that defies the laws of physics.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually the data in the test report looks to be pretty valid and the testing facility: Testand Corp 99 Beverage Hill Ave Pawtucker, RI 02860 Is a well known manufacturer of measuring and controlling devices.
The only constant in the test is that the AC Delco filter performs the best in every test, the other filters results hit all over the board, I don't find this particularly suspect as A/C Delco is a subsidiary of General Motors and therefore was afforded the opportunity to design the air filter that was to be used in the Duramax equipped trucks, it is no secret that GM pulled out all the stops to ensure that the Duramax perform as flawlessly as possible as it would be the only way they could overcome a well deserved reputation of building sub-par diesel engines.
It is also to GM benefit to install the best filter available as these engines are intended to be operated under extreme conditions and any dirt getting past the filter media would have a very negative effect on turbochargers and any restriction would effect performance.

If you look at each test category it is clear and easy to see that the results do not conflict with one another.
Although I find little reason to believe that this comparison is skewed I also would not conclude that A/C Delco reins supreme in other applications by any means or that just because one filter performed poorly in this test that every filter made by that manufacturer is a bad product.

Quick Reply: K&N users beware?