JUST WENT DOWN ON THE KLX ! Picture of Damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
this is what the other side of your stator cover looks like
Actually I wrote that wrong, this is not what the other side of YOUR stator cover looks like, yours has a big F-ing hole through it. You gotta laugh about it, trust me I know

Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Oil passage hole into crankcase, is at the bottom, below the crank. Maybe .500 round hole cast into crankcase. Not super easy for pieces to find their way through.

Name:  IMG_1972_zpsd7f6c8de.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  82.4 KB

Last edited by dan888; 07-02-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Have a look on ebay. I have seen a few on there.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 250SM
Have a look on ebay. I have seen a few on there.
Good point, I got the one I have on my bike now for $15 on eBay. It had some damage but was useable.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea a lot of bargins but all in the U.S

Old 07-02-2013, 02:23 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

You know what...I think I'd pull the stator cover off, grind, file, and clean up everything at the punture. Then tape over the outside, forming the tape into the contours of the rest of the outside of the cover...kind of like a mold. I'd then use JB Weld from the inside and shape a good patch that doesn't interfere with the operation of the rotor or stator.

Or...you just pack JBW from the inside and outside and then carefully grind and file down the excess material after it dries. JBW when applied properly is pretty amazing. I've seen fixes last as long as the rest of an engine in some pretty critical places. Clean, effective application of the JBW is the key.

If this cover shows no other structural damage that would affect rotor/stator operation, I'd reuse it instead of buying a new one.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and info.
I am still very disappointed that I let the bike get out from under me.
I'm estimating 2-$300 to have it back to normal
Generator cover - $100-110
Shift lever - $50-60
Led taillight - $70
Rear turn signals -$?
Synthetic oil change - $20-25
Handle bars(maybe) -$100 +

I just plan to buy a brand new case cover rather then a jbweld fix or used one, so that it has a normal appeal if I decide to sell the bike. I'm a bit nervous to replace the cover my self but I will give it a shot. I may have some questions for you later on Dan, thanks.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Part: COVER-GENERATOR
Part number: 14031-0110 (replaces 14031-1400)
Should be pretty easy part to replace
$136 from Part Shark (http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp)

Maybe time to invest in a bash plate?
102$ ronayers
Engine Cover(s)

Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
You know what...I think I'd pull the stator cover off, grind, file, and clean up everything at the punture. Then tape over the outside, forming the tape into the contours of the rest of the outside of the cover...kind of like a mold. I'd then use JB Weld from the inside and shape a good patch that doesn't interfere with the operation of the rotor or stator.

Or...you just pack JBW from the inside and outside and then carefully grind and file down the excess material after it dries. JBW when applied properly is pretty amazing. I've seen fixes last as long as the rest of an engine in some pretty critical places. Clean, effective application of the JBW is the key.

If this cover shows no other structural damage that would affect rotor/stator operation, I'd reuse it instead of buying a new one.
I'm going to keep this quote for the next time TNC calls ME a cheap ***. Geez TNC, bubble gum and bailing wire fix anything huh?

Seriously I know of a guy that has exactly what TNC just described. It was an emergency trail-side fix that he has just left as is. I know he has run it this way for a couple years without issue. Even though it has worked for him he is usually the guy that doesn't have any tools, or lets something wear out and holds up the ride while others attempt to get his bike fixed.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I'm going to keep this quote for the next time TNC calls ME a cheap ***. Geez TNC, bubble gum and bailing wire fix anything huh?

Seriously I know of a guy that has exactly what TNC just described. It was an emergency trail-side fix that he has just left as is. I know he has run it this way for a couple years without issue. Even though it has worked for him he is usually the guy that doesn't have any tools, or lets something wear out and holds up the ride while others attempt to get his bike fixed.
No, no, no...you misunderstood. I was playing like it was me in his shoes and how I would handle it under those conditions. Dude!...I won't even eat French's mustard. It's Grey Poupon all the way, only.

Quick Reply: JUST WENT DOWN ON THE KLX ! Picture of Damage