Just picked up a new to me 2009

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Just picked up a new to me 2009

Hi All

Sold my 08' KLR 650 and picked up a new to me bone stock red 09' KLX with 2400 (street only) miles about two weeks ago. Four days after I got it I ran it in the Meteor Dual Sport in the Pine Barens here in NJ. The bike was great! Took everything I threw at it and kept going. Except for 1 front tube which had the valve stem ripped out from me running 10 psi in the sand without a bead lock. This bike is SO much more fun then wrestling with my KLR off road for me. Only thing that really sucks is the PO thought it would be a good idea to rattle can the rims black. Hoops, spokes, hubs, everything. Looks great from about 10 ft away. Up close, not so much. No clue what this dude was thinking. Maybe they'll be some excel hoops and ss spokes in it's future who knows.

I have just spooned on a pair of IRC-GP1 tires, added Moose Racing hand guards, and have a happy trials skid plate, and a UNI air filter coming in this week.

I'm still running the stock handlebars even though I already picked up a set of Pro Taper ATV high bars only because the clutch cable was to short to mount the Pro Tapers. I've got a couple of Motion Pro +2 cables on order, thanks to this site but according to them I shouldn't expect to see them until 11/20 or so.
Planning on running the Hamer Run dual sport in the pines this coming weekend.

Love my KLX so far!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! I'm an 09-er too, as well as a KLR. Lots of upgrades that can be done to this bike....have fun!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

i live in south jersey and thought about doing that dual sport but was doing too much.
i acctually just saw aw red KLX at the PINE BARRENS ENDURO yesterday, it looked mostly stock with a FMF powercore 4 pipe on it. (just like MINE) i just spectated but the whole thing was perty cool.
i might do a day of that dual sport down where mike lafferty lives, apparently its supposed to be awesome

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Welcome! I'm an 09-er too, as well as a KLR. Lots of upgrades that can be done to this bike....have fun!
Thanks man! I'm really looking forward to getting some performance farkles going this winter. Right now just doing some necessities to me hand guards, skid plate, tires, etc.
I did quite a bit of normal farkles on my klr, .22 cent mod, Eagle Mike doo, thermo-bob, etc., etc. and it really woke it up. It was tough parting with that bike but it was just physically kicking my **** off road. I actually sold it to a really good friend though so I should still get a chance to ride it every now and then

Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thejackcutts
i might do a day of that dual sport down where mike lafferty lives, apparently its supposed to be awesome
That would be the Hammer Run in Port Elizabeth. I will be there on the KLX this Sunday along with 2 05' KLR 250's (one red, one green) a DR 350 and an XR 650L. If you see us come ride with us!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yani
I did quite a bit of normal farkles on my klr, .22 cent mod, Eagle Mike doo, thermo-bob, etc., etc. and it really woke it up.
Watt-man makes a Thermo-bob kit for the KLX250! I have one on my KLR as well as my KLX. Really speeds up the warm-up and keeps the temp steady....

There's no doohickey on the KLX, but, you may want to consider changing the automatic cam chain tensioner for one of Krieger's Manual Units.

Last edited by Blackheart58; 11-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Yani, glad to have another KLX owner on board..or on the board....or boring us with funny stories.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! The Thermo-Bob was a great mod on my KLR. I'd definitely like to add one to the KLX. Unfortuantely my KLR was an oil burner, which I am convinced that all 08 KLR's are no matter what dudes say. I think maybe they just don't run them for extended periods over 5k rpm's or just don't notice the burning. Who knows. I put 12k miles on mine and did many long trips including lots of slab andit definitely burned. The Thermo-Bob was a mod I did to try and mitigate it. Doing that along with adding a pcv valve and switching to a 16t countershaft sprocket (which made it even worse off road) really cut down on the burning. Has anyone noticed any excessive oil burning with their KLX's?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the Thermo-bob isn't a treatment for oil burning 08 KLR's. The 685 kit IS, though! Lots of 08 owners complained about it. I sure like how fast the bikes warm up, compared to not having it on, and how steady the temp holds after warming up very quickly...and they never overheat. So, I'm very happy with the product.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

There's no issue or history of problematic oil burning on the KLX250/300. Some of this may have a little to do with the coated cylinder issue on the KLX, but frankly you don't hear of any oil burning with aftermarket big bore kits with steel liners either. It just hasn't been a pattern with KLX's, period.

I had the PCV valve setup on my '01 KLR650, and for my engine it did reduce oil consumption noticeably. I have not worried about it on my KLX, though I did drill out the tiny hole in the airbox inlet from the crankcase breather tube.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a new to me 2009