just noticed a trend...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
I think it's because the dual sport thing is getting popular now, and so many KLX's have been bought in the last couple of years.
Let's face it, the KLX just doesn't have enough for most people, and seems to be a stepping stone bike to something more serious, like a KTM, or Husky 450, or a pure street bike like a Versys, or Vstrom. Not too many make a sideways move to a new KLX, or WR250.

I love my KLX. Of all the bikes I have, it sees the most action, by far. I was all ready to sell it last year, and replace it with a street plated KDX220. I'm glad I changed my mind. The KDX is for sale now.
zomby's and Sky's assessments are probably just about right. Not many folks go down in size and/or alleged prestige when buying bikes. The KLX is a bit of a sleeper in stock condition, and you have to be somewhat serious about your bikes to jump in and modify the stock KLX. When you do, however, I think you are rewarded with a very nice bike for a wide array of use. If you don't at least do some simple mods to the KLX, you can lose interest very quickly.

I went from a KLR650 and have been thoroughly pleased with how this bike performs in some pretty serious off road conditions, yet it is quite reliable, requires low service intervals, and is street legal and streetable in way that is usually much better than some that are basically just plated race bikes.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by work
lets blame it on the economy.
um... lets not..., to me this is only an excuse if your unemployed and out od dough.

Originally Posted by Borischan
Ahh, that's exactly the reason I bought my bike. Much better fuel economy...
me too..., economy push me to funner, more dangerous adrenaline rushes, while getting 55-60 mpg and way cheaper insurance.

Originally Posted by wildcard
Might have something to do with that gay marriage stuff going in in Cali ?
pro-gay marriage protester here, and i ride my bike more than anyone i know.

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
I think they would all still be riding if they started out slow and had fun while doing it. It would kill there image though if they had to ride a measley 250, these are men, if it doesn't have 50 hp or more and can't ride a wheelie doing 60 down the freeway, its a girly bike.

And second, I think that is the mentality of most new motorcycle riders. They have to have the biggest baddest thing around. Especially when it comes to dual sports, if it isn't orange, it isn't any good.
and i continue to make these guys feel bad when there getting out done by a 250cc, 20hp trail bike with twice the miles. i will never ride orange.

Originally Posted by TNC
zomby's and Sky's assessments are probably just about right. Not many folks go down in size and/or alleged prestige when buying bikes. The KLX is a bit of a sleeper in stock condition, and you have to be somewhat serious about your bikes to jump in and modify the stock KLX. When you do, however, I think you are rewarded with a very nice bike for a wide array of use. If you don't at least do some simple mods to the KLX, you can lose interest very quickly.
think you nailed it.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 09-06-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
why the hell are some many people selling there bikes? mines staying with me till it blows up, gets rebuilt, then blows again.

+ one million! Well except the blow up part..LOL

Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Speaking of bikes, here is a great deal on a 351 bike just an hour North of me. Come on someone buy it!!!

http://olympic.craigslist.org/mcy/1915520353.html

Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ndery
I don't think there is more people selling their bike...
I think more people put their KLX for sell on this forum...because a lot of KLX enthousiasts use to hang around !

Used to hang around? Hahahaha

Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Hahahahahaha NICE!!! I think your & symbol is backwards.

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
um... lets not..., to me this is only an excuse if your unemployed and out od dough.

me too..., economy push me to funner, more dangerous adrenaline rushes, while getting 55-60 mpg and way cheaper insurance.

pro-gay marriage protester here, and i ride my bike more than anyone i know.

and i continue to make these guys feel bad when there getting out done by a 250cc, 20hp trail bike with twice the miles. i will never ride orange.

think you nailed it.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I think it is because SOME people buy the bike thinking it is a cheaper KTM and then find out it is not. Some of us more educated folks who bought it for what it really is, are very happy with the bike.
Lots of us older guys are getting back into the sport due to midlife whatever,,, and took the first option not wanting to invest a ****load of money. Some of us found that the little 250 needed some help and went the 351 route. Some folks just decided to step up to a bigger better performer. I'll bet the guys selling them are the guys who can't ride them to their true potential either. This bike is plenty of fun and plenty fast enough for what i do with it. I'm no spring chicken and yes i have a faster, lighter, better suspended CRF250X however,,, the KLX351 is just the right bike for me most of the time.
OK,, off my soap box now.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
I think it is because SOME people buy the bike thinking it is a cheaper KTM and then find out it is not. Some of us more educated folks who bought it for what it really is, are very happy with the bike.
Exactly. See, I only ride mine on the road when I'm on my way to or from where I'm going riding off road so 250ccs is just plenty for me. With the pumper carb it works just great off road. On the pavement it's still a moped. It fits me well and it makes plenty power for woods riding. If I wanted something with more power, I would have kept my WR400.