Is it just me, or is the KLX s small bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I've got the Pastrana FMX ProTaper bar, which is an inch taller than stock, plus the 3/4" rise from the big bar adapter... I'd think that 2" of additonal rise would be enough... I think I need to spin the bars back a bit and bring them closer to my body.

The power isn't a problem, I really don't mind the fact I can't wheelie and that I'm always 3/4s throttle on the streets to keep up with dad on the DRZ. I'm jjust more curious as to y'alls opinion the bike being somewhat small in feeling. The weight isn't a problem for me, I've been working out alot the last few months and I'm strong enough to throw it around no problem.

This summer I'm going to ride every day that isn't raining and I'm not working, which is why I wanna scoop up some better tires than the 606. I've got a ticket at the mechanic to get the valves done; he said it'd be a couple weeks before he got to me so I've got that money squirreled away. But I wanna get the Trackmaster II rear and the Scoripon Pro front like dad's always ran. He tried the 606 with me and he says they SUCK compared to the other combo (obviously). And of course protective gear... I've got my stuff picked out, again, its a matter of the almighty dollar.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

At 5'4" no such thing as a small bike.
Had the suspension lowered 40mm each end and it's still a struggle to swing a leg over at after a long day.
OK, maybe this.
Name:  Monkey-Bike-HD50PY-.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  32.1 KB

Old 05-04-2009, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Knobbys, set the suspension up, wider footpegs and get the handlebars set for you. Will make a lot of difference

Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

i havent had a problem with the handleing, i have found that i like to sit down most of the time, im 6'2 in the old scale and 85kg, i like to have the wieght over the front so i can power out of the corner and slide.

when im pushing 450's, i happyt sit with them, but the bike is having a hard time, reving so hard. i have raced a friend of mine through some bush on his 450, and he couldnt use his extra power because it would just result in wheel spin and the extra wieght slowed him down. though when we were on the strights he would pull away.

one thing to sum it up that really incresed my corner speed, as weight over the front, leg out, and sideways.

maverick aus, should come down for a burn with me some time, i live in sydney but mostly go ride in the lithgow area

Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
At 5'4" no such thing as a small bike.
Had the suspension lowered 40mm each end and it's still a struggle to swing a leg over at after a long day.
OK, maybe this.
Neil,

What is that thing, looks like a modern Chinese remake of the venerable Honda QA50 from the early 70's. I know you posted the pic as a spoof but those little buggers were a bulletproof blast in their day....

Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
Neil,

What is that thing, looks like a modern Chinese remake of the venerable Honda QA50 from the early 70's. I know you posted the pic as a spoof but those little buggers were a bulletproof blast in their day....
Ahh the QA-50 aka, the Monkey bike.
They are making a come back!!!

Last edited by neilaction; 05-05-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Ahh the QA-50 aka, the Monkey bike.
They are making a come back!!!
The "Monkey Bike"? What, did I miss one of Rudyard Kipling's stories? Prey, tell?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
This is gonna kinda go nowhere so I apologize in advance...

But it just seems to me that the KLX is too small of a bike for me maybe? I've got big bars, with the adapters, and I still feel hunched over... like I'm riding over the front wheel. I'm gonna try rotating the bars back to see if that helps. But beyond that, it just doesn't feel comfortable standing up. Like, I have to bend my knees and arms alot so that I can feel the bike and be comfortable in its center of gravity. Anybody else notice this? I'm only 5'9 barefoot so its not like I'm a giant... would the bars being straight up/down really cause me to feel so forward and big on the bike?

I've gotten so frustrated trail riding lately... I keep crashing and I can't keep up with my dad. Granted he's a badazz, used to race motocross, riding since before I was a twinkle in his eye, but still... I guess its just disheartening. I know I'm better than I was when I got the bike but I'll screw up a section of trail or crash or fly out of the rut in singletrack and plow through the woods, and I just get so disheartened. I can't blame the bike entirely, I mean, yeah i'd never keep up in a straight section with his DRZ or any of the KTMs we might ride with, but sometmes I wonder if a real trails bike would help me get better. Or do I gotta keep sucking the big one and crashing for a while before I get better?
Hey Cliffsta ... sorry to hear you frustrated ....

Maybe this will help http://www.rlafferty.com/index.html

For $20 bucks these are some great riding tips from a pro! I felt the same way you did about the forward riding position, but it's actually where you need to be. Best $20 I EVER spent.

Mike

Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
The "Monkey Bike"? What, did I miss one of Rudyard Kipling's stories? Prey, tell?
I don't know the story behind it bit that's what they get called.
Here's a UK site on them.
http://www.monkeyrun.co.uk/

Last edited by neilaction; 05-05-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Cliffsta
I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch inseem and I feel the ergonomics on my bike are fine. I did put new bars on that are taller but the stock bars felt OK too. It is hard to tell but looking at the picture of your bike the Pro Tapers look kind of low. I'm sure you already know this but you want to ride with your arms and legs at least slightly bent. Don't lock your arms or legs straight out. Have your dad or his friends watch you ride around and see if they have any pointers. Like others here have said get your suspension set up for your weight and get some good tires and proper gearing for your area.

Quick Reply: Is it just me, or is the KLX s small bike?