Just bought KLX... that wont start now. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Just bought KLX... that wont start now. Help!

I just bought a 2006 klx 250. Had a friend in another provice pick it about a week ago since I coudlnt find anything locally. Everything worked great when he got it. I finally got it picked up today and somehow after its transit its not starting now.

Its not even cranking over. No clicking solenoid, nothing. Tried crossing out the solenoid with a pair of pliers and got it to crank but wont start. Doesnt even have fire. Its almost as if the bike thinks its in gear with the kickstand down or something. Tried eliminating kickstand sensor with no help. Tried charging battery obviously, and jumping to another battery. Lights and horn work fine. Any suggestions?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

check the stand switch, clutch safety switch, the neutral light switch down by the shifter will also do the same thing if it is unplugged. It is something simple.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Kill switch???

Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

My thought too. Make sure the red kill switch is in the on position (why isn't that thing spring loaded).

Could be a fuel issue but I bet it is simple as stated.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Got it working! It was the kill switch. I did check it already, but it wasnt working properly. It was stuck in and i didnt realize. Tried holding in the start button and tapping the whole housing that the buttons sit in and all of a sudden the kill button popped out further then it was before and everything is fine. Button is still sticking about half the time but at least i know what it is now. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmurray70
Got it working! It was the kill switch. I did check it already, but it wasnt working properly. It was stuck in and i didnt realize. Tried holding in the start button and tapping the whole housing that the buttons sit in and all of a sudden the kill button popped out further then it was before and everything is fine. Button is still sticking about half the time but at least i know what it is now. Thanks for the help!
Sweet.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

My kill switch sticks too. I try not to use it.
Good to hear you got it.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

That's like being on the phone with tech support when the first question they ask, is the device plugged in.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Did you get an owners manual with the bike?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Dont have a manual nope. Im fairly familier with bikes though.

Its not that I forgot the kill switch. I pushed the darn thing in and out like 10 times. Its just that it was stuck in. It was acting like a typical kill switch you see on a MX bike. Stuck out a little more then 1/8" and it appeared that you had to hold it in to kill the bike (again, like mx bike).

After wacking the housing a few times just to see if there was a loose connection somewhere it just popped out to about 3/8" and everything worked fine. Still sticks in about half the time though and needs a tap to come back out.

Quick Reply: Just bought KLX... that wont start now. Help!