Jhoffy question thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Put it in N and turn the crank with a wrench - do you have compression? Is it strong?

You'll probably see the prob right away. Start by pulling valve cover, make sure all looks well and tight. See if any valves have dropped. If not, go further. Pull the head, is there carnage in the cylinder? Rings OK?

Hopefully your buddy had his arm calibrated recently for the torque on those head bolts/cam cap bolts!

May the force be with you.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Put it in N and turn the crank with a wrench - do you have compression? Is it strong?

You'll probably see the prob right away. Start by pulling valve cover, make sure all looks well and tight. See if any valves have dropped. If not, go further. Pull the head, is there carnage in the cylinder? Rings OK?

Hopefully your buddy had his arm calibrated recently for the torque on those head bolts/cam cap bolts!

May the force be with you.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Ill take the cover off and see if I have compression. Does it matter what direction I turn it? Btw we went back in and torqued everything to spec.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

This is not good man. I feel bad for ya. a friend built a yz250f we put the athena big bore kit, hot cams, rejetted the carb, and all was well for the first startup and run....then added a new full exhaust...got about 50 feet and it seized the engine...a piece of the metal exhaust gasket had fallen in the bore and seized against the piston and sleeve....

S%^$@# happens....i will probably be PAYING a professional to come over and help me install my big bore kit and carb....any takers in the bay area =)

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

This is an example for others to do mods one at a time and get things in order with what you have done before you move on to the next as it is you have no idea what happened. Many possible reasons for what the problem is but if you had got on top of the issues you were having early on this may have been avoidable.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.P
This is not good man. I feel bad for ya. a friend built a yz250f we put the athena big bore kit, hot cams, rejetted the carb, and all was well for the first startup and run....then added a new full exhaust...got about 50 feet and it seized the engine...a piece of the metal exhaust gasket had fallen in the bore and seized against the piston and sleeve....

S%^$@# happens....i will probably be PAYING a professional to come over and help me install my big bore kit and carb....any takers in the bay area =)
That sucks man, hope it all works out for you. Luckily, it's not completely siezed because I am able to move it with the starter if I rock the bike back and forth in first gear with the clutch pulled in and let the clutch out periodically.

Originally Posted by linkin5
This is an example for others to do mods one at a time and get things in order with what you have done before you move on to the next as it is you have no idea what happened. Many possible reasons for what the problem is but if you had got on top of the issues you were having early on this may have been avoidable.
Can't disagree, lesson learned. Something I noticed that I didn't notice before is when I took the cap off the crank case to turn it by hand like I would if I was testing the timing, a little bit of oil came out. The oil was pretty dang dark for being only a week or so old with a new oil filter. Not sure if this helps diagnose anything, but I'm all ears to advice.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I hope your issues are minor but it may end up being an expensive lesson.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
Well I hope your issues are minor but it may end up being an expensive lesson.
Money is not really a concern, as long as the bike ends up being fixable without it costing more than it's worth to fix it.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey fellas, I'm looking to get one of the Utah Ricochet skid plates. I keep reading about some Kawasaki forum discount. How does this work and where can I order it?

Also, I'm going to go ahead and bump the pilot up from stock #35 to #38. I was reading the main sticky with the updated FAQs and the guy who wrote it lives in Wisconsin which is almost exactly the sale altitude as Ohio (~900ft above sea level) and he has the #38 pilot too. A place to order that would be great as well.

I also want to order some more predominant front turn signals because I have Tusk bark busters with built in turn signals but tbh they suck. The only time anyone could possibly see them is when it's dark outside.

Last but not least, I'm up for a new chain and sprockets while the bike is parked. I bought the bike used and it's always had a 13/42 set up but now since I have the 351 I think it's time to go back up to the stock 14/42 set up. Any suggestions here to size/brand/material are welcome. I was pretty set on a 108 link D.I.D. O-Ring chain as well. All suggestions welcome.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

did you get your motor running already?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
did you get your motor running already?

Not yet, I found a used cylinder head from a 09 klx that was in a wreck with very low hours on it and had it shipped directly to Bill Blue. He's going to look over it for me and make sure everything is in spec and then ship it back to me along with a new piston and gasket kit.

Quick Reply: Jhoffy question thread