Jetting recommendation for Danmoto slip on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Jetting recommendation for Danmoto slip on exhaust

Hello All! I have spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum. Lots of good information here.

I was wondering what main jet, pilot jet, and needle position I should use for my 2012 KLX250s. I could buy a jet kit, but why pay for all those extra jets? The PO put a Danmoto slip on on the bike and he said that he never changed the jets. I have since pulled the snorkel and I think it is running a bit lean (though I have not yet inspected the plug).

-Edmond

Old 03-25-2020, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm assuming this is the one you have.
This is an incredible price for what looks like a really good slipon.
On sale right now for $108.00 !!!!!
Kawasaki KLX 250/300 S/R 1994-2014 Off-Road Slip-On [OF-00011] - $108.00 : Danmoto, Motorcycle Racing Parts & Accessories

I need to know how that slipon mates up to the header - for the "Exhaust Choices Sticky" - Does it use a gasket in the header bell or does it fit into the header bell tightly without the ability to use a gasket ?

As to your question: If you are going to leave the lid on the airbox (with or without some kind of snorkel) , you simply buy the DJ 2152 kit and install it as per the instructions.

You cannot read fueling on a spark plug anymore. Ethanol'd gasoline removed the ability to pinpoint fueling via sparkplugs.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your quick reply KLXter. Here are some pics of how my Danmoto pipe attaches to the stock header. There appears to be no gasket. It is important to note that the danmoto pipe will melt stock turn signals because of the angle that the fumes exit the exhaust. The turn signals need to be relocated. The PO installed a taillight that has integrated turn signals. My pipe is the same one as the one that you found on sale. It is pretty loud but it still passed inspection here in Massachusetts though the company states that it is "for offroad use only".

Is there a benefit to removing the entire lid instead of just the snorkel? Sorry for my inexperience but why buy the jet kit? Is there a reason to replace the needle with the aftermarket one? Does the kit come with the bowl screws?

-Edmond

Last edited by Nietzsche; 03-26-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you have a good week of reading my threads and posts to understand the technical answers to your questions. In the process you'll become knowledgeable about the functioning of the CVK ...

The short story is that you get the kit because you need everything in it , and more, to start achieving the best performance possible with your current configuration. The "and more" is a #40 pilot jet from Kawasaki (find the part number in here..)

There is one mod combo that can be acceptably fueled with a stock needle that is shimmed to the proper length with DJ needle washers.. Your mod combo is not applicable.

A lidless airbox will give you the most performance - but you will be required to install the matching lidless CVK setup to realize all the power possible. Without the lidless CVK setup installed, you cannot remove the airbox lid. Lidless CVK setups are on the links in my signature line.

Thanks for the info on the DanMoto slipon.. That slipon will mate up to any performance header !

Melting turn signals is due to morons finalizing and approving the design of the slipon endcaps. FMF slipons also mellt turn signals ! Semi-trained monkeys could have done a better job at FMF, and a few others, at making endcaps that don't melt off turnsignals..

Old 04-07-2020, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Yeah, you have a good week of reading my threads and posts to understand the technical answers to your questions. In the process you'll become knowledgeable about the functioning of the CVK ...

The short story is that you get the kit because you need everything in it , and more, to start achieving the best performance possible with your current configuration. The "and more" is a #40 pilot jet from Kawasaki (find the part number in here..)

There is one mod combo that can be acceptably fueled with a stock needle that is shimmed to the proper length with DJ needle washers.. Your mod combo is not applicable.

A lidless airbox will give you the most performance - but you will be required to install the matching lidless CVK setup to realize all the power possible. Without the lidless CVK setup installed, you cannot remove the airbox lid. Lidless CVK setups are on the links in my signature line.

Thanks for the info on the DanMoto slipon.. That slipon will mate up to any performance header !

Melting turn signals is due to morons finalizing and approving the design of the slipon endcaps. FMF slipons also mellt turn signals ! Semi-trained monkeys could have done a better job at FMF, and a few others, at making endcaps that don't melt off turnsignals..
Thanks for the info KLXTER. I ended up buying a Dynojet kit. It was less than $50 shipped. I read that the needle included is superior to the restrictive stock needle. If I wanted to buy an adjustable needle and the applicable jets it would be almost as much as the Dynojet kit anyway so why not. I decided I will get a larger diameter Chinese header and remove the airbox lid so I can make the most out of the Stage 2 jetting. I will probably make a redneck hoseclamp spark arrestor screen since I don't want to pop the rivets out of the danmoto exhaust. I don't want to get fined when the trails on state land open up this summer.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey KLXster how do you like the DG exhaust? I saw it in your video. What head pipe do you use?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

The ChinaBomb will require work from a muffler shop - one that is equipped to be able to expand small diameter piping - in order to make the bell large enough to accept your slipon. The ChinaBombs do not fit ANY slipons built for the KLX without work. Here is one thread on the subject: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...b-46904/page2/

Removing the airbox lid requires a completely different CVK setup - only ONE component in your kit is usable in a lidless application, the needle (and clip and washers of course) .. You'll need to order a DJ 144 main jet from DynoJet, and make sure your slide spring and slide lift port are stock (and unmodified).. Then you follow the "....FMF System" link below, on my signature line, to the letter with no deviations or omissions..

The DG slipons do not work with performance headers - only stock headers. Read the sticky on Exhaust Options..

Last edited by Klxster; 04-07-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

The ChinaBomb will require work from a muffler shop - one that is equipped to be able to expand small diameter piping - in order to make the bell large enough to accept your slipon. The ChinaBombs do not fit ANY slipons built for the KLX without work. Here is one thread on the subject: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...b-46904/page2/

Removing the airbox lid requires a completely different CVK setup - only ONE component in your kit is usable in a lidless application, the needle (and clip and washers of course) .. You'll need to order a DJ 144 main jet from DynoJet, and make sure your slide spring and slide lift port are stock (and unmodified).. Then you follow the "....FMF System" link below, on my signature line, to the letter with no deviations or omissions..

The DG slipons do not work with performance headers - only stock headers. Read the sticky on Exhaust Options..
ok thanks for the info. I will try to find the post but a guy on this forum modified a china bomb to fit a dg slip on. I bought the 2152 kit. Hopefully the pilot jet it comes with will work

Old 04-07-2020, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I am always shocked to learn of a slipon that has no Forestry approved spark arrestor option.. Instead of a "Joe sixpack" abomination, you should go for a "factory look" solution or a refit of another brand of spark arrestor insert.

Something that appears "cobbled together" may not save you from a ticket...?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I am always shocked to learn of a slipon that has no Forestry approved spark arrestor option.. Instead of a "Joe sixpack" abomination, you should go for a "factory look" solution or a refit of another brand of spark arrestor insert.

Something that appears "cobbled together" may not save you from a ticket...?
that is true. yea the Dan Moto has no spark arrestor. I could also just install the screen inside the slip on.

Quick Reply: Jetting recommendation for Danmoto slip on exhaust