Jetting to be a lot like christmas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Jetting to be a lot like christmas!

hey i know theres a ton of post on here about jetting and how to do it, i just cant seem to find the one i'm looking for... so heres what i got so far

all the plastics off, petcock and tank un done.... stopped there because i was wondering, do i need to drain the tank? all i do is keep the petcock to off and pull the bottom tubes off right? then its pretty easy from there, just unscrew the carb and its out? never done this before but it seems easy enough from the little bit of information I've gathered so far.

now on the subject of jetting... heres what i got a #38 Jet-Pilot and the second package says "main jet, 2nd, #120... is that a good size to start with? am i missing anything else? the only mods to the bike are drilled stock exhaust, K&N filter, and i'm going to do the CC mod before i put the bike back together...

open to all suggestions, tips, or referrals to other post. thanks!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Jetting to be a lot like christmas!

leave the hoses going to the petcock on so the petcock will keep the gas in the tank, 120 main is a little light, i have a 128, stock is 118. Dont forget to remove the cap covering the a/f screw and turn it in all the way then back it out 2.5 turns. You dont exactly "unscrew" the carb, it takes some work to get it out. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

right on... well it'll be better then what i got and i guess i'll just go up a little bit from there... whats the next reasonable size to go to?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

alright got the carb out and decided to take a look inside.... inside the wrong end that is. it took me more time to put that stupid rubber thing back on then it took to get the carb out! haha... what do i have to do to take out the smog crap... cap all the ends and i'm good?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Cap all the ends and do what EMS said.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

pie4foou- like ems said i think 120 may be a little light. I know its not much more, butif you want, i have a 122 which might be a little better for the airfilter/drilled exhaust. If you want it, ill send it to you in an envelope, or if your ever by my end of the state (southbury), i can just give it to you. Anyways, if you want me to send it to you, PM your address and I'll be more than happy too.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ok... i'm retarded or the kid at the shop is. I got the pilot screw in (the shot stubby one) to screw right in no problem.

but my main jet seems like its too long and its got some what of a "head" at the end of it. The stock one is a lot shorter and doesnt have any kinda head at the end. is the new one supposed to be like twice the length of the old stock one? The jets/pilot jet go in two of the three holes? where did i go wrong?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

heres what i got.

Name:  CARB1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  37.5 KB
Name:  JETS1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  33.8 KB
the shorter one is my stock jet....

Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I have no idea what that big "jet" is that they sold ya.... the new/larger pilots look just like thestock ones they sold ya the wrong one.

take a pic of your main ..... you said it looked different than the stock one?

Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Measure it and see how long it is, then match it up to one of these:

http://www.carbparts.com/keihin/need...n_jet_list.htm

That'll tell you what you got vs what you need. I'm guessing they ordered you a pilot jet for a CVK-V instead of the CVK.

Quick Reply: Jetting to be a lot like christmas!