Jetting, FMF Q4 and more

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the links to the various rack options. Going to look for racks that will handle the Wolfman waterproofs bags, and some regular, larger soft bags. So depending on my area of travel and time of year, I'll be set.

I have to agree, if you spend any time sitting, the seat concepts is a wonderful thing to have. I don't find that it gets in the way when I do need to stand, but then I'm not a real aggressive rider. I stand so I don't chip a tooth on washboards, potholes and roots.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb Yea Baby!

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I was thinking yesterday after 90 minutes of riding how nice it is to have a Seat Concepts saddle. The best $170 you can spend on your a$$.
+1. The best $170 you can spend on your a$$

Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I've heard only good things about the Seat Concepts upgrade. I contacted them last week. They'll even do the work for you if you ship the seat to them. I've done two seats myself, but I had an industrial stapler a friend lent me.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lilyboy
I've heard only good things about the Seat Concepts upgrade. I contacted them last week. They'll even do the work for you if you ship the seat to them. I've done two seats myself, but I had an industrial stapler a friend lent me.
I don't know about you, but I couldn't go 2-weeks without riding. So I bought a staple gun from Harbor Freights for $20 and did it myself. It's pretty easy.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM

I did mine myself too, just a heavy duty hand stapler I had from some other home project. Took me longer to pull all the staples that were in the seat pan from the factory (I think they get paid by the staple), than it did to re-install cover.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Valkiera
Alrighty folks, need assistance on setting my 2012 KLX 250s up.

I want to keep it as quiet as I can, while still improving performance, all while not loosing a lot of MPGs.

I explore a lot of forest/gravel and back roads, do a bit of camping, photography and chase geocaches. I will be doing some off road, but nothing very technical, and all of this at what some of you would consider a snails pace I'm out to explore, relax and enjoy. I will be avoiding freeways or anything over 60 as much as I can. I may need to hit some 60 MPH roads, but I'll be off them as soon as I can.

Haven't done much but ride so far. I did upgrade to Seat Concepts seat, have the suspension improved/set to me, and I've ordered the IMS 3g tank.

Now before you all get on the "do the 351" wagon, that will happen, just not this year. I want to put some miles on her this year, and do the 351 next winter.

For now I think I want to add the Q4, KDX Snorkel, and re-jet. I've asked a couple folks in PM's about some of this, but thought I'd bring it out here for all to have some input.

What will give me the most improvement without loosing my 60ish MPG?

Seems many feel just upgrading the jets can smooth things out, I'll be doing that. While I have the carb out for re-jetting, I'll drill out the starter jet, since many find that really helps the cold starts. I live in a cool wet area and will be riding between sea level and 3500' the most (I live at 600'), with stretches up to 6000'. Adding the fuel screw for times when I may need to tweak things, to just through, anything higher (should I ever visit Colorado).

Q4 slip on only or add the pipe too?

Change the air filter? If so which one? I may ride some dusty areas, but that will not be my main riding local. Maybe 3 or 4 trips over to eastern Washington and Oregon to explore some of the ghost towns and scenic dirt roads. May give parts of the WBRDRa try, we will see if I gain enough skill for that, I don't bounce like I once did

I will be adding a rack to carry camping gear, and maybe a rotopak for some added range and security. I ride solo a good bit, so I don't fancy getting stranded just past the middle of no where.

Let the virtual farkling begin, what would you do if these were your goals?

Thanks for any input,
Cindy
My 2009 has a Q4 slip on, Dynojet kit, Uni filter with airbox lid removed. 13T sprocket. I get 54 MPG now in street/dirt use running AC-10 knobbies with rim locks, 12 PSI. I also have a IMS 3 gallon tank and that's enough range for almost everything I do. When I go to places like Death Valley I add a Rotopax 1 gallon can on the rack and that gets me over 200 miles. The bike pulls very strong now and climbs any hill I point it at. I will eventually do a 351 kit but it's not really needed.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM

I've tried to search, but haven't found the info. Is there a thread that shows what HP gain folks got out of various changes? And yes, I know a Dyno is only so good, you would need to test each bike at each stage on the same day with the same machine.

It would just be nice to see what gains have been found.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Valkiera:
Here's a couple threads where I completely wasted my time...and now you can too

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...numbers-38674/

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...estions-37339/

These links and many good others can be found in this thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

cheers

Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks IDRIDR, I needed something to do tonight!