Jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Jetting?

I got the FMF powerbomb header and Q4 silencer,dynojet jetkit,and a uni or twinair filter.Everything isn't here yet so I need you guys to give me a second opinion on the carb.So far I'm gonna follow what dynojet says-the 128 main jet,3 turns out on the mix,third groove from the top on their needle.I think the plug should burn nice with this setup.But like I said,you guys know what you are talking about.So any advice would be extremely cool about this whole thing.Obviously when I get it all together this tuesday,I really don't want to pull that carb back off.But,whatever it takes right!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Exactly the mods I'm going to be doing this winter in the off season on my KLX..........plus I'm installing the larger KDX200 snorkel.
I wanted to do it now but riding time is to precious........I'll do the mods during our nasty Winters here in Minnesota.
I plan on jetting mine according to exactly what Dynojet recommends for this setup, DJ-128 Main Jet.

Please post your results.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Dynojet's recommendations are a good place to start, but don't be too surprised if you have to tweak it a little for fine tuning. The 128 main seemed too large on my bike and I get better top-end with the 124. I typically trail ride from 2,500 up to 9,000 ft or so.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 08-03-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Dynojet's recommendations are a good place to start, but don't be too surprised if you have to tweak it a little for fine tuning. The 128 main seemed to large on my bike and I get better top-end with the 124. I typically trail ride from 2,500 up to 9,000 ft or so.
Exactly, the directions will get you in the ballpark then adjust accordingly for your specific combination of parts, elevation, etc. I'm maybe 100ft above sea level so I'll be using the larger jets as my starting point on my stock bike and tune accordingly.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Keep it going

I wanna say too that I'm thinking about ditching that snorkel on the lid.I don't want to hear it too much either.I haven't really crossed much water yet,or anything to even be concerned about that.That snorkel seems like a big road block though.I'm just gonna take it off.I'm hoping the 128 will be nice for Minnesota.Everything should be here by friday(tomorrow).But like everything,I'm hoping for the best,but expecting a problem or two with the carb setup.Like usual I'll need your guys help when I get lost.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm kinda wondering if I should have got the megabomb instead of the powerbomb.To me it looked like a big trap for sound maybe.I could see if I road a 450 but,the power looks like it will flow just fine for me-I might be wrong!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I stayed away from the mega due to difficulty installing a heat shield. Already have burned a hole in my jeans from the powerbomb without shield yet.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I can see 1 minor hickup so far-I'm going to have to drill out some of the mounting tab on the front mount on the silencer(the one by the rear footpeg)It seems to bolt up nice,but the inlet spout from the header is touching my air box everywhere.Any cool ideas on how to mill that out so I can drop it down at least a quarter inch,instead of totally hacking it out with a drill bit?Also,now I'm concerned about the corner of my airbox melting away.The header will be here tomorrow and I'll see what that brings.Silicone?Should I use that factory clamp?Talk to me guys.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^ I have the FMF and the Powerbomb..bolted up in 20 min.and yes it did hit the corner of the air box alittle,melted just a touch,no big deal,also you have to move you passanger peg gaurd out a touch..easy install..

Old 08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Best advice I got on all my install's were contained in the product instructions that came with the individual pieces.

Quick Reply: Jetting?