Jet selection and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Jet selection and other questions

So I'm getting ready to order the jets on the sticky thread from bike bandit and I got a couple of questions for you guys.

It seem's the concenues up here on jetting / air flow is the stock pilot jet and a 125 main using the kdx snorkel. I will be going a little different then you guys and since I'd like to save money And have to open the carb up Only Once I want to get the jetting right the first time without ordering extra jets.

I'm at sea level and my plan is to do the free mods, Big gun exhaust, K & N Air filter, Open hole in top of airbox to about 4x4 inches and screen in, Ntc1 needle, Clip on #2 slot, 128 Main Jet, 40 Pilot jet.

My main concern is the 128 main and 40 pilot will be too much, but with those mods she should breath real well. Also this pilot jet, will I really gain anything from going to that. Is the #2 slot the best place for the clip.

My other question is when I go out to bike bandit and input the part numbers like the 40 pilot jet and the A / F mixure screw they come back as CA model part numbers. Any problem with this.

So what do you think guys, Whats the right Jetting for my setup

LV

Old 09-16-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Jet selection and other questions

this thread may help you out a bit
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_67995/tm.htm

Old 09-17-2006, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

So I'm getting ready to order the jets on the sticky thread from bike bandit and I got a couple of questions for you guys.

It seem's the concenues up here on jetting / air flow is the stock pilot jet and a 125 main using the kdx snorkel. I will be going a little different then you guys and since I'd like to save money And have to open the carb up Only Once I want to get the jetting right the first time without ordering extra jets.

I'm at sea level and my plan is to do the free mods, Big gun exhaust, K & N Air filter, Open hole in top of airbox to about 4x4 inches and screen in, Ntc1 needle, Clip on #2 slot, 128 Main Jet, 40 Pilot jet.

My main concern is the 128 main and 40 pilot will be too much, but with those mods she should breath real well. Also this pilot jet, will I really gain anything from going to that. Is the #2 slot the best place for the clip.

My other question is when I go out to bike bandit and input the part numbers like the 40 pilot jet and the A / F mixure screw they come back as CA model part numbers. Any problem with this.

So what do you think guys, Whats the right Jetting for my setup

LV
I just ordered the 125 main, 40 pilot and snorkel from Ron Ayers last night. Their prices were a few bucks lower than BikeBandit, but I don't know how they are on service. I didn't get the needle like many here have, just going to go with the 9 cent shim(washer) option. I'm going to mod like the HMF guys did here HMF. I'll probably be getting their slip on as well.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:05 AM

Duvallgold,

I checked at both BikeBandit and Ron Ayers for my mod stuff as well. I found the same thing that you did, Ron Ayers was consistently cheaper. Interestly enough, I checked the parts list through my local dealer as well, and their prices for each item was exactly the BikeBandit price - to the penny for every single item. Coincidence? I think not.

You will be happy with Ron Ayers service. I ordered from them for the first time about 3 weeks ago. My KDX200 snorkel has been back ordered since then, but I have had good communication from the CS group (one guy in particular) about the status of it. I think I will be receiving it soon actually.

Of course it does not hurt that for non-backordered items, I received everything the next day even without expedited shipping since I live in NC. The rep specifically told me that noone in NC should ever pay for expedited shipping. Noice!

Anyway, good luck with your mods.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

+1 on Ron Ayers. I've ordered from Bike Bandit and didn't have any problems, but I then learned about Ron Ayers and their prices seem to be cheaper and great service. I got my 300cc kit parts from Ron Ayers and I think the difference came to nearly $100 if I recall. Ron Ayers doesn't stock every part and they have to order it themselves from Kawi most of the time so you have to allow for time for the parts to get to them, and then from them to you. As cwgoff mentioned, for us here in NC or nearby, once they get the parts we get them the next day, but overall, parts not in stock might take a week or so. I've found that I've gotten my parts generally a few days faster than their estimate.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

While I have Ron Ayers Bookmarked I never bothered to check their prices and just went thru bike bandit. In the future I will look more closely at their prices. I decided to go with a 128 main jet and Skipped ordering both the 125 main and 40 pilot. I did so because after looking at the Dynojet install instructions they call for their 128 main when using a aftermarket exhaust and open airbox. they recommend putting the clip on the 3rd slot though. I also dont see how upping the pilot to a 40 will really change anything so I didnt bother with that either. Guess were gonna find out how just a 128 main and a 4x4 inch open airbox works out. I did the same thing to my DR250s and it worked fine.

I also broke down and ordered the big gun from motorcycleparts.biz, 390.00 was the best price I have found on it so I ordered it thru them. Finally when I was out running around yesterday buying tune up parts for the wifes car I noticed that Pep Boys carries K&N filters. On a whim I asked the guy how much was the KA-1287. This is the air filter for a Klx300 and should fit our bike. Everybody seems to want 50.00 bucks for this puppy. Guy at Pep Boys tells me 38 bucks. I'm like how much, He double checks and says 38 bucks and change. I'm sold and tell him to order me one. Should be here next week. All in all it was a expensive day yesterday. I think I blew close to 550.00 bucks just on Motorcycle parts alone and Still got to spend about another 250.00 if I'm going to respring it which I probably will. Dam motorcycling is Expensive.

LV

Old 09-17-2006, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

The larger pilot jet effects the entire rev range to a small degree but more so in the low end right off idle. It also ties into the "lean" pop some of us have on decel. With the mods listed in my signature I was still getting the pop, right up until I took off the smog equipment.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

You will be happy with Ron Ayers service. I ordered from them for the first time about 3 weeks ago. My KDX200 snorkel has been back ordered since then, but I have had good communication from the CS group (one guy in particular) about the status of it. I think I will be receiving it soon actually.
I've got some parts on Backorder from Ron Ayers, but the Customer Service guy I've been working with has been great. He's sent me a couple e-mails letting me know where things stand and updates as to when I might be receiving stuff. They get an "A+".

Bike Bandit Customer Service, however, rates pretty low. I bought my Big Gun exhaust from them and it turned out the head pipe was mislabeled (Right Part #, wrong part). Early on I asked them about returning the exhaust system, and they said that I'd have to pay for shipping because "Our site never said it would fit the Canadian model". (BTW - Their site doesn't say anything about a "US" model, either, so I don't know what that was supposed to mean.) I kept them in the loop in resolving the problem through Big Gun, and when it was clear the Big Gun had mislabeled the part and that there was no such thing as US & Canadian models, and I told them I might be returning it to them "due to a mistake made by the manufacturer". Again, they said that the pipe will not fit Canadian models, and that I can return it, but I would have to pay for shipping and restocking.

From my experience, it seems that Bike Bandit Customer Support people will tell you whatever it takes for them to avoid their responsibilities.

Back to the Jetting ...

A "tan" plug is good, if that's what you're seeing, then the jetting for the engine speed is perfect. Keep in mind that different carb factors influence performance in different engine speed ranges, so your bike can be rich AND lean at the same time, but in different RPM ranges! (BTW - someone makes reference to a "rich" condition when the engine is getting too much air, and suggests installing a snorkle to correct it. While the suggestion is correct, people generally refer to that condition as "lean", meaning that there's not enough fuel. Hope this hasn't caused any confusion.)

Here's a great link that I found for how to tune your jets:

CV Carb Tuning Procedures - High RPM Engines

Hope this helps!

Mike