Which jet kit is best? (general 250S jetting questions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Which jet kit is best? (general 250S jetting questions)

I'm gonna pick up a jet kit and first thing I see is the DJ one. Now I have two choices the way I understand it. Get the KLX300 one or get the 09 KLX250s one. (I have an 2006 250S by the way.) I was reading the directions and it seems to be that it might be more prudent to get the 09 250S kit....but then again, I don't know. Does anyone know what the difference in the two performance wise would be? Also, I've been told our bike comes stock with a 118 main jet. So why does DJ come with a 116 in their stage 1 kit? And if your running the bike in pure stock form they tell you to put the 116 in? If the bike runs a little on the lean side to begin with on a 118 main jet, why on earth would you put in a 116? And it even says you can do that with a K&N, and unless they changed their filters in the past couple years I always thought K&N's to be high flow filters.

It also concernes me listening to the directions for the 300 kit, its giving you instructions for a 300cc bored machine, not a 250. So why would you listen to it?

I'm wandering if it might be better to just pop over to my local bike shop and just pick up the stock needle for the 300, set it on the middle notch, and buy the next couple sizes up of main jets. I also noticed that they didn't say to get a different sized pilot jet.........weird. Anyone know if the DJ kits run better than just jetting the bike yourself with standard parts? And if I didn't want to change the needle I wouldn't have to either would I? What kind of difference does that make? I have to do something. It just seems like when Im on a flat road and I'm opening the bike up and I'm getting the RPMs up it seems like the bike is almost being chocked or governed in some way. I tried to take the plug out the other day to check it for color and I couldn't get it out unless I took the tank off. I'm not a violent person, but if I would have seen one of the designers for this bike that day I probably would of smacked them in the face with a 2x4. What an idiotic design. Spark plug changes are suppose to be a 1 minute job. Not a ...take half the parts on the top half of your bike off to get to it- job.

Sorry for all these questions, I'm still a newb to this bike and it seems like aftermarket companies and Kawasaki didn't make it easy on us for parts. Not like all the other machines I've owned.
________
Threesome xxx

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

do yourself a favor and get the 300 kit and follow the directions step-by-step. don't make it harder than it really is. give us your elevation and we'll tell you some recommendations for main jet and air/fuel screw settings. The DJ 128 main and 2.25-2.5 turns on a/f screw from fully seated will work for most.
If you're not adding an exhaust, you're really just wasting your time with the jet kit. Why open up the intake if you can't get it out any faster? At least get the cheap HMF slip-on for a little over $200 if nothing else but of course I recommend a full system with either a BigGun or Muzzy badge.
You don't have an '09 and the DJ jet kit is specifically made for the '09. I have an '09 and got the 300 jet kit if that tells you anything. The 300 kit directs you to drill the slide hole larger to increase vacuum whereas the '09 250S kit doesn't and instead supplies a shorter spring so I'm told to do this. Either kit will work but the new spring isn't something that a lot of people have used around here. Drilling the slide hole is like breathing to you and me when it comes to modding the carb slide on any KLX 250/300. good luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

get the 300 dj kit follow the directions, it works, its tested, you will be happy

Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daveg
get the 300 dj kit follow the directions, it works, its tested, you will be happy
Short and sweet.. Do what most guys do, and dont go too much into detail lol..

Old 08-24-2008, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I just ordered the 300 Dynojet kit yesterday, and am still deciding on the pipe, I am looking at the FMF Q4 slip on and a 300 head pipe at this point.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I went with the '09 250S kit (since I have an '09 250S) and I thought it was a very good kit. Removed the snorkel from the airbox lid and went with the 128 main jet, 2.75 turns out on the screw, needle on the middle clip. I didn't drill the slide; I used the spring that came with the '09 kit. I'm really close to sea level (never ride more than a couple hundred feet ASL)

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
If you're not adding an exhaust, you're really just wasting your time with the jet kit. Why open up the intake if you can't get it out any faster? .
I wholeheartedly disagree. Rejetting and opening up the airbox made a world of difference on my bike. Yeah, you will get even more power with exhaust and you will better utilize the increased intake, but you don't HAVE to get an exhaust to make it worth the 60 bucks. Some of us don't have the dough to blow on every mod all at once.

As for the needle question: The needle from DJ is tapered differently than the stock needles, which is why you change it. The needle is probably the only important part of the kit, and what you pay for. You can get jets anywhere, but the needle is tapered differently to affect idle and part-throttle response. The largerjet doesn't come entirely into play until mid to WOT.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, I think I will rejet for now and when I have the cash put a new pipe on. What I am looking for is more bottom and mid range to loft the front wheel over logs and through water crossings at slower speeds. I ride to work as well so it is really a compromise I guess.It sure would be nice to lighten this bike up because it is definately a fat boy.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Cool, I think I will rejet for now and when I have the cash put a new pipe on. What I am looking for is more bottom and mid range to loft the front wheel over logs and through water crossings at slower speeds. I ride to work as well so it is really a compromise I guess.It sure would be nice to lighten this bike up because it is definately a fat boy.
a stock 300 exhaust system will make as much power as any aftermarket slip-on muffler will. those can be had for cheap to free. Before I landed my used Muzzy full system for $100, I found a full 300 system for free, all he wanted was shipping. The 300 muffler will make as much power as a 2-bros. or any other slip-on with the 300 oem header. Larry Roeseler says that so I believe it. Plus, it will be quieter. Of course you won't have a fancy can back there but at least you're not wasting your money with a jet kit and no exhaust. Something to think about. The exhaust is the key on this bike, believe me when I say that. Until you swap that out, you truly are really just making mental mods.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
Of course you won't have a fancy can back there but at least you're not wasting your money with a jet kit and no exhaust. Something to think about. The exhaust is the key on this bike, believe me when I say that. Until you swap that out, you truly are really just making mental mods.
I gotta disagree here, too. Way back when, I did the jetting first along with the kdx200 high flow snorkel in the airbox and ran with just the stock pipe and got a very noticeable improvement in throttle response and a bump in power. I do agree that things improved even more with the addition of the Muzzy, or other pipe, after that. But I would say the jet kit is well worth the money, even if you don't swap the pipe. I didn't use a jet kit, though, I just got the KLX300 stock needle and bumped the jet sizes and adjusted the fuel screw.

I agree with your other points, though.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff, thanks for the advice. I will look around for the stock 300 system, if I can't find one in the next few months I will just go for an aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Which jet kit is best? (general 250S jetting questions)