jekyl and hyde

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Default jekyl and hyde

where i live is 8 miles from the ocean, and my job is right on the san diego bay at exactly sea level. my house is at maybe 800 ft above sea level maybe 1000ft. my bike runs great at my house but everyday when i go down that hill my bike runs real quiet with a noticeable loss in grunt and low end. and every day after i get up that hill it gets the grunt back and sounds more like a motorcycle. i am surprised at how the change in elevation affects the performance so much and on such a consistent basis. it took me a while to figure out what it was, at first i thought it was just the gas i was putting in, but that doesnt seem to fit as the power change is at the same spot twice a day on that darn hill. my only engine mod thus far has been to remove the snorkel. she will have 6000 miles on her tommorrow. and no problems yet. anyone else having these elevation issues. seems stupid that 1000 ft will make such a difference. well take care and goodbye from san diego.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1706/DAF39D8C9FFF4907A44DEA6FA0B533DB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2006, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: jekyl and hyde

someone else my pop in and offer moe insight but i can tellyou for a fact removin the snorkelwithout rejetting is gonna make the bike (run like ****) lean to start with... small changes in elevation may effect it even more. i had a kdx200 snorkel on mine for a week or so b4 i drilled the baffles and had it rejet'd.... until it was rejet'd there was a definite change in performance once i intro'd more air into the motor and it wasnt a change for the good ;/

Old 08-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I also live 8 miles from the ocean, but I'm at sea level. My mods are the Full Muzzy exhaust, jetting 132 and 40 and running with the air box cover off. I went on a Poker Run last month and we went from sea level to 3000 and when I got around the high spots I started to loose power and heard minor popping sounds, my mechanic set up the bike for me and the conditions where I ride. I seem to be OK until I get to 3000 or above. But if the bike was set up for that elevation then it probably wouldn't run as well around town and the 1500 ft level. It sounds like your getting too much air. You need to either get a bigger main and pilot in the bike, or put the lid back on.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:19 PM

well, i didnt remove the lid, just the rubber snorkle, and the bike runs perfect at my house, its just that when i get to work my bike sounds like it did the day i got it, very quiet and smooth, non dirtbike like. otherwise the bike runs great just curious why such a small elevation change would make the bike run like the snorkle was still on. also why would i need to rejet if my bike runs perfect where i live and runs like brand new where i work. brand new is just too quiet and restricted for my taste. but at home it runs like a champ, with some sound tone to it.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm with deej on this one. Just removing the snorkle is asking for trouble on this bike. It's lean as hell from the factory already (thanks EPA...smelled any 18 wheelers lately you a-holes?).

Put a 125 main in and back the pilot mixture screw out to 2.5 turns and you'll be pleased with the difference (add the N1TC needle and slide vent mod and you'll be thrilled!).

Old 08-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd
It's lean as hell from the factory already (thanks EPA...smelled any 18 wheelers lately you a-holes?).
Not even that, how about all the giant soccer mom SUV's? I don't think a mod'd KLX would output as much pollutants in a years' worth of riding as one of those giant Canyonero's would in one trip to the mall.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Cali,

Technically, your bike should run better at sea level (higher pressure). The only thing I can figure is that at your house (1000" elevation), your bike is running at a proper fuel/air mixture, when you descend to sea level with the snorkel out, it's getting too much air and running too lean.

Piston airplanes have a mixture control in the cockpit, so that you can adjust the fuel/air ratio at different altitudes. Unfortunately, we only have the option of re-jetting. Remember: running too lean means running too hot and can cause damage to the piston, cylinder and valves. I would re-jet like others have suggested or for now put the snorkel back on.