James Stewart......

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
Nothing like attending a SX event imo; back in the McGrath heydays, just the opening rider introductions in darkness with lazer light shows and that speaker guy with the deep and mean voice doing the talking was enough to bring goosebumps. Then, the roar of the 2-stroke 250 engine topped it off.
That would be cool..... Do they use different oil/gas when indoors, when i went to FMX in the mellon area it smelled different, didnt smell like typical two stroke exhaust.... anyone know?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

smells like the usual premix with some fairly high octane gas.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

not at that fmx i went to in january.....

Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
You guys know that Motocross is the most physically demanding sport... didnt they put sensors on RC? The next sport to come close is soccer.....
I heard it was Soccer then MX...

Have you ever been on an MX track? I knew it would be tougher than road racing (most I've done is 45 min. on Mid-Ohio and it was brutal). I did two laps at Tomahawk and thought I was gonna die. Biggest mistake: riding bone-stock KLX250S while my XR400R sat at home with a for-sale sign on it. Shoulda taken that beast. I looked ridiculous. All things considered I'd rather do 120 down the back straight at Summit Point and pray I can brake in time to make the sharp 90 degree turn coming up rather than park in the trees.

That was my first...and last...MX experience. Too old fer dat s--t.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

it may have helped if you weren't on a bike that weighed nearly 300lbs. and was designed for the trails 16 years ago. would you race an MX bike in a roadrace? same thing. if you want to race mx, you need an mx motorcycle. nearly 100 less pounds, and twice the power if you're talking 250cc 2-strokes.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I heard about this towards the end of last season, always tried to catch the motox stuff. I didn't know WHERE he was going I just knew he was leaving Kawi. Oh well. Sucks we can't keep any names on the green machines. Its no wonder so many kids (and adults) only want red and blue bikes.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Those "studies" always change. Motocross is definately up there, and motocross with a quad even more so. Boxing is high on the list, so is swimming, wrestling, and hockey. They all are. I don't think you can say that one is the "MOST".

As far as guys being snubbed and moving teams. Listen, everyone is against other people making money while they do it themselves. You'll leave a job because your being treated like crap, or if you can find another position that pays better. These guys do the same. No shame. Brand loyalty is crap, it means nothing. Its just the color of your plastic. One year you like, the next its green.

As far as being "snubbed". I can tell ya this. When I had my freestyle business, I had some buddies that had the biggest (and also the shortest lived) company in SX and MX history. I'm not gonna drop the name, if you know it great, fine,if not I won't say it. I'll hint and say they sponsored Mcgrath (actually, he was part owner I believe), and Yamaha of troy. The point of all this is is that there are MANY things that go on "behind the scenes" that you never see and theres that of which gets sent to the media. So use common sense and the age ole saying of "take it with a grain of salt".

And to add to what was previously said about MX and SX. MX is an outdoor race that is very long. Usually the tracks are a mile or two for one lap. The jumps are long, low to the ground, and highspeed. SX is held id stadiums, not arenas. Arenas a hockey sized areas and thats called Arenacross, thats always where freestyle motocross is. Supercross is a very tight track and its basically almost air racing. It's EXTREMELY technical and for experts only. There are amateurs riding on motocross tracks, but not on supercross tracks. Its a pro track only. You'll get broke real quick if you don't know what your doing.
________
Make A Vaporizer

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I thought Stewart honored the Kawasaki contract very well. The rumor mill all summer has been that Stewart signed with L&M Racing which is Chad Reed's old team. But you never heard a peep about it from Stewart, and he has had nothing but praise from Kawasaki all this whole time even though Kawasaki didn't sign him, and he went 24-0 in the outdoor nationals which only one other rider in the history of the sport has done and that is RC, the GOAT, so Stewart is in pretty elite company with that statistic. Other riders don't treat their old teams with such respect. Reed and L&M separated rather bitterly, for example.

But early on in the summer from an interview with Stewart, it sounded like he was hoping to stay with Kawasaki, still waiting on the call for an offer to extend the contract but it never came. I think Stewart would have liked to have stayed - he was awesome on the Kawasaki.

Like 09KLXowner said, I think Kawasaki is putting their backing behind Villopoto who is moving up to the 450's this year. If both Stewart and Villopoto were on the same team, that would probably not be so great because 1) they would both be very expensive, and 2) the first rule of racing is that you beat your team mate first, then worry about the other guys. They may tend to race each other so hard they take each other out. Not good if you are on the same team.

Personally I think Stewart is just coming into his prime. He has finally matured to the point where he will take his time and stalk the guy in front of him, bide his time, then go for the kill. The way RC did in his last few years of racing. But I'm guessing Kawasaki didn't want Villopoto going to another team and losing him, maybe figuring Stewart only has a few good years left in him, while Villopoto is so young and maybe can carry it farther, I don't know. He's a great rider and I think he will pressure Reed, maybe not this year, but next for sure. I think Villopoto is better outdoors than indoors, so I think he would be more of a threat to Stewart outdoors. But he's good enough to pressure Stewart, I think, if he stays healthy. He has that kind of drive and desire to win, I think he will step it up this year in SX.

The biggest thing that is bothering me about Stewart is not so much the move to L&M and Yamaha, but that it looks like he is not going to race a full outdoor schedule next year and defend his title. He mentioned only racing selected events during a recent interview. I'd like to see him get a few MX titles under his belt to solidify his position among the greats.

As for the Yamaha, I think Stewart will be on the only non-fuel injected bike this year. Hope that doesn't hurt him. All the top riders rave about how great fuel injection is in SX and MX. I would have loved to have seen Stewart on the new fuel injected KX450F. I bet that thing will be a beast.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 10-21-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

That would be cool..... Do they use different oil/gas when indoors, when i went to FMX in the mellon area it smelled different, didnt smell like typical two stroke exhaust.... anyone know?
Yes, I know,...and no, they do nothing different. They just run'm. At the end of the show they open up all the doors, freeze everyones *** off, run up the heating bill and the shows over

Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

not at that fmx i went to in january.....
Oh,you were there in January? My former protoge' was there. He always does the "hometown" event. Scott Hanlon.
________
MAGIC FLIGHT

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: James Stewart......