Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

My favorite dual-sport jacket is the Thor, light weight, lot's of vents and a XXL size so I can get plenty of warmth underneath it. I'm not sure what they call it now. I do have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro for longer rides in much colder weather. It is much heavier tho has lots of armor.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
I have been using a Firstgear Kathmandu jacket and I like it alot. Keeps me warm when it's cold, dry when it's wet and has enough venting to stay cool when it's hot out. it's a bit pricey but I think that sometimes it's better to cough up some dough for better gear.
Or find out what fits, then kind of keep an eye out for close outs, clearances, and last year's model for about half price or less. Of course I'm fortunate, living near a place like Iron Pony, but I've done it before with helmets. I found a fit then got with my favorite dealer and told them what I wanted and what I wanted to pay for it, then waited for a while. They found a deal on the helmet and it was $20 less than what others had it for on-line. Other friends found deals on HJC and AGV coats at bike races, although it seems the venders are gone from the ones I've been to lately (Mid-Ohio). Seems the economy has killed off the midway at some events.

Of course I will say it is well worth paying for quality if you have to. I wore a Heine Gericke Boost coat for about 20 years and it served well. The waterproof membrane is finally bad at the seams and some areas are getting frayed. A pretty good life for a $300 coat (but I got it in virtually new condition from a dealer/friend for $100). It is still a good general use coat though.